“Fall or Spring is the only time you want to ride this area”

Slickrock Bike Trail
and up
Guided Full-Day Mountain Bike Tour in Moab
Ranked #30 of 97 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: A nine-mile, world-reknowned mountain biking trail that attracts 110,000 people per year.
Reviewed July 28, 2013

It is too hot to ride this in the summer. But if you must, be at the trail head a 5:30 AM and you will be finished by 10:00 AM just before it gets really hot. Wet your tee shirt and hat and put them in a zip lock bag on your bike. Pull them out when you get hot and put them on wet for evaporate cooling. Remember is trail was designed and created for dirt bikes, in the 80"s the MT. Bikers starting riding on it too. Be kind to the dirt bikers you see on the trail. Without them you wouldn't be enjoying this trail. Helpful hint: After the practice loop the trail forks, stay left when riding this trail it was designed that way and the flow in bike maneuvers work with you not against you while riding. You will end back at the same fork in the trail when you finish.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you like masochism then this trail is for you, 11 miles of hard rock and challenging technical terrain in the midst of scorching desert heat. This is not for begginers or those people who give up easily. If you are not experienced stick to the practice loop to avoid accidents or worse. Bring plenty of water, bring plenty of water (can't stress this enough) and spares for your bike (including derraileur hanger). If visiting in the summer avoid riding from 11 AM to 6 PM or you will probably have some bad story to tell related to the heat and sun.
All being said, this is a must ride trail for any true mountain biker.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I didn't like the dirt trails but will still ride them. The slick rock was so much fun. We rented mountain bikes. My husband and I, my daughter who is 17 years old and not and avid mountain biker and my 11 year old son. We had a blast. We loved the slick rock the best. I couldn't believe how easily my son picked up riding on the slick rock. I wish I had this type of mountain biking where I live!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

When I rode the Slickrock this past week I saw lots of people who were NOT capable of riding this trail, having a bad time. It is upper-intermediate to advanced, and only the advanced will be able to make all the climbs. However, riding on the slickrock sandstone is something every mountain biker should try at some point. It teaches you a lot of good technique. This trail also crosses a lot of sandy washes, so remember--do not turn your bars in sand! Also, if you are riding in June-July-August, hit this trail at 6 AM--the rock is cookin' by 9 o'clock. If you are a less-skilled rider, I suggest asking a bike shop for a map of the Bar M trails--a good introduction to Moab's riding.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am not an expert rider, nor am I a beginner. I didn't even make it around the practice loop - which from what I gather is as difficult as the main loop, only shorter. Looking for a slick rock experience without all the crazy technical corners and mad verticals? Try Circle O on the Bar M trail system.

1  Thank blondeambition151