β€œHauer Ranch River House”
Review of Moab Horses

Moab Horses
Ranked #37 of 102 Outdoor Activities in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group and custom trail rides in the Professor Valley, visiting the Colorado River, riding in Onion Creek, and seeing where numerous movies and commercials have been made in the cliffs and canyons of the desert. Beginners to expert, ages 5 and up, weight limit 240 pounds. Private rides available.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed at the River Hose for four nights. What an outstanding location in the midst of this setting right out of a western movie. The large porch offers spactaculars views in all directions, the valley, the prairie, the table mountains, the colorado river. The house is large for four people with two bedrooms with a bath each, air conditioning, simple kitchen, TV and Satelite-Wifi (be prepared to fix it yourself by setting it to factory default) and a big living/dining room. The setting away from highway 128 is very calm (dead quiet at night).

We took the evening trail horse ride with Kerry as our guide. She was very friendly, very knowledgable about the local history and is a fun entertainer. The horses (some were mules, which is even better) were very docile, no problem, no worries to ride even though it was years that we had been sitting on horses (actually we don't really know how to ride a horse...)

There are newer reviews for Moab Horses

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great location, great horses, great trail leader, great ride. Very reasonable rate, longer rides for the money, excellent value for the money. Take camera for lots of pictures of classic western views. Great experience for those without experience, especially kids.

4  Thank Russell O
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have been touring the Utah Grand Circle and wanted to take in some horse back riding. We contacted Hauer Ranch and they were able to accommodate us the very next day, for a sunset ride. We were five riders, our son who was on his first ride, and the rest with varied levels of experience all enjoyed the ride. Our wrangler was Steve and he was great. He shared lots of knowledge about the houses and the surroundings, which hosted many famous movie shoots. The scenery was awesome and the sunset ride proved to be the very best part of the day. The horses and mules were great in temperament and well matched to each rider. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and would recommend Hauer to all riders. The only issue was finding the ranch. The signage is poor and hard to see. If it were not for some kind help we would have not known to turn at mile marker 21 on Scenic Highway 128.

1  Thank sparontour
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've been to Moab twice and I've taken the trail ride with the Hauer horses because we traipse down the Onion creek and watch the sunset against the Fisher Towers. Easy trail ride for the entire family!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were staying at one of the properties on the Hauer Ranch and as we all (my husband, son and myself) love to ride we decided to book the movie tour ride. The woman who answered the phone when I called was very patient as I was not sure when to squeeze it into our schedule. It was also 104 during our stay (not uncommon for there, but REALLY hot to someone from PA), so I did not want to be in the blazing sun at that temperature, nor did I want to get caught in a Thunderstorm. She helped me work it into our schedule when there would be no threat of storms and we decided on the morning tour as it is slightly cooler then.

We booked for the day we were checking out so we were the last ones to show up for the morning ride and they couldn't have been more friendly about that - we were not late, but really just on time and I think they would like you to be there a bit prior to ride time, but if it bothered them, they sure didn't let it show.

It was still quite hot even on the morning ride, but I must admit once you get out away from the parking area a bit, there was a nice breeze and we rode through a stream a few times so the splash felt nice.

Our guide, I apologize that I cannot remember her name, was really great. She was so patient with another rider who dropped 3 separate items while on the ride (we had 5 in our group) and she gave us a lot of information and answered questions freely.

The horses were also beautifully maintained and wonderfully calm.

My only comment that was a negative for me, but not a complaint, is that it is a very slow ride. I think this is because they get many non-riders, but for a family with experience it would be fun to go a little faster. Perhaps if we had been just the 3 of us this would have been permitted.

Even though we had been staying on the property and had been viewing it from our house and the area rocks for 4 days - we still found it breathtaking while on our ride. It is an area of unmatched beauty that we really never seemed to tire of.

If you are driving up from the town of Moab, be prepared for a wonderful drive. Route 128 which winds through the canyon along the Colorado River is one of my favorite drives from our 2 week trip touring Utah.

P.S. They have the happiest and friendliest dogs who ma tag along.

1  Thank Diane M

Been to Moab Horses? Share your experiences!