“Highlight of our Trip”
Review of Moab Horses

Moab Horses
Ranked #36 of 106 Outdoor Activities in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group and custom trail rides in the Professor Valley, visiting the Colorado River, riding in Onion Creek, and seeing where numerous movies and commercials have been made in the cliffs and canyons of the desert. Beginners to expert, ages 5 and up, weight limit 240 pounds. Private rides available.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have been touring the Utah Grand Circle and wanted to take in some horse back riding. We contacted Hauer Ranch and they were able to accommodate us the very next day, for a sunset ride. We were five riders, our son who was on his first ride, and the rest with varied levels of experience all enjoyed the ride. Our wrangler was Steve and he was great. He shared lots of knowledge about the houses and the surroundings, which hosted many famous movie shoots. The scenery was awesome and the sunset ride proved to be the very best part of the day. The horses and mules were great in temperament and well matched to each rider. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and would recommend Hauer to all riders. The only issue was finding the ranch. The signage is poor and hard to see. If it were not for some kind help we would have not known to turn at mile marker 21 on Scenic Highway 128.

1  Thank sparontour

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've been to Moab twice and I've taken the trail ride with the Hauer horses because we traipse down the Onion creek and watch the sunset against the Fisher Towers. Easy trail ride for the entire family!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were staying at one of the properties on the Hauer Ranch and as we all (my husband, son and myself) love to ride we decided to book the movie tour ride. The woman who answered the phone when I called was very patient as I was not sure when to squeeze it into our schedule. It was also 104 during our stay (not uncommon for there, but REALLY hot to someone from PA), so I did not want to be in the blazing sun at that temperature, nor did I want to get caught in a Thunderstorm. She helped me work it into our schedule when there would be no threat of storms and we decided on the morning tour as it is slightly cooler then.

We booked for the day we were checking out so we were the last ones to show up for the morning ride and they couldn't have been more friendly about that - we were not late, but really just on time and I think they would like you to be there a bit prior to ride time, but if it bothered them, they sure didn't let it show.

It was still quite hot even on the morning ride, but I must admit once you get out away from the parking area a bit, there was a nice breeze and we rode through a stream a few times so the splash felt nice.

Our guide, I apologize that I cannot remember her name, was really great. She was so patient with another rider who dropped 3 separate items while on the ride (we had 5 in our group) and she gave us a lot of information and answered questions freely.

The horses were also beautifully maintained and wonderfully calm.

My only comment that was a negative for me, but not a complaint, is that it is a very slow ride. I think this is because they get many non-riders, but for a family with experience it would be fun to go a little faster. Perhaps if we had been just the 3 of us this would have been permitted.

Even though we had been staying on the property and had been viewing it from our house and the area rocks for 4 days - we still found it breathtaking while on our ride. It is an area of unmatched beauty that we really never seemed to tire of.

If you are driving up from the town of Moab, be prepared for a wonderful drive. Route 128 which winds through the canyon along the Colorado River is one of my favorite drives from our 2 week trip touring Utah.

P.S. They have the happiest and friendliest dogs who ma tag along.

1  Thank Diane M
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our family went on very enjoyable and relaxing 2-3 hour ride through the scenic trails surrounding the ranch. John Hauer and his staff go the extra mile to make your experience one you will cherish. Our guide did a wonderful job of matching the personalities of the riders to the horses. The horses and mule have wonderful, easy going temperaments.. I rode one of Mr. Hauer's favorite mules. Take a moment after your ride to talk with John. He is a very interesting individual. If you are heading to Moab, be sure to schedule a ride with Hauer ranch. You will enjoy it immensely!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Better late than never

Me and my friends had experienced a pretty chaotic experience while we were at Moab, and thanks to this Ranch we left with a pretty good memory; none of us really knew how to ride horses and our guide was a really friendly and helpful lady, all of our happy pictures from Moab are mostly from this experience, it was beautiful riding horses during late afternoon just a couple hours before nightfall.

My friends and I will forever be in this ranch's debt and we appreciate the lovely experience they gave us, one of us is specially grateful for the cowboy hat she was borrowed from the owner's daughter if I remember corretly.

PS. We were that boy and 4 girl group who had that accident off road, I hope you remember hehe; thank you for everything if we ever go back we'll sure visit again.

Been to Moab Horses? Share your experiences!