“Hauer Guest Ranch & Trailrides”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Moab Horses

Moab Horses
Ranked #35 of 93 Outdoor Activities in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group and custom trail rides in the Professor Valley, visiting the Colorado River, riding in Onion Creek, and seeing where numerous movies and commercials have been made in the cliffs and canyons of the desert. Beginners to expert, ages 5 and up, weight limit 240 pounds. Private rides available.
Golden, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Hauer Guest Ranch & Trailrides”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had the pleasure of not only having a trail ride at the Hauer Ranch but also staying at the Rockhouse. The ranch has three separate houses as accomodations, Rockhouse, Guest House and Riverhouse. My wife and I stayed in the Guest House for Thanksgiving 2012. We returned this year with my parents and stayed at the Rockhouse (recently completed rennovations in 2013). Both years we were able to ride through Castle Valley on trail rides. I'll write a separate review of the accomodations and include the trail rides below.

Overall - the location is just truly stunning. My wife and I have been to Moab approx. 10-12 times now and driving down Highway 128 upon arrival is a highlight every single time. Being able to stay in Castle Valley is just gorgeous. The ranch is one of only a handful of properties in all of Castle Valley and you cannot beat the views from anywhere on the ranch/at the houses (even the small basement window at the Rock House has a view of the Priests & Nuns (rock formations).

Trail rides - two years in a row we had great rides. The first year was just my wife and I and our guide (Chance) which they arranged for us staying at the property. I rode Nino which was perfect for my first ever trail ride. Chance was great in accomodating two people who had never ridden and other than the first few butterflies it was a relaxing and great ride. This year, we went with 4, including my wife, both my parents and I. This again included two people who have never ridden before and Jeremey our guide was just as great of making us as comfortable as possible. He was also nice enough to take us on a different trail ride (of which there is a never ending supply) because he knew we went on a certain ride the year before. He explained the area, helped us with the horses, gladly took pictures for us and had a great combination of leading/guiding/describing the area and letting us take it all in ourselves. This year I rode Rowdy (not an entirely accurate name as he was a great companion), my wife rode Sassie (similar comment), my mom rode Nino this year and she enjoyed Nino as much as I did the year before and my dad rode Atlas (a great relaxed horse who let you really enjoy the views and rarely had to think about "handling" him).

1 Thank edorvs

Allenhurst, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“hauer ranch november 8th”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

arrived a bit early for our session which was great-all questions were answered-enjoyed watching the preparation for our ride we meet the heard and jeremy and kaitlin did great job matching our riding ability[or lack thereof] with our horses and mules. they were great very informative and helpfull on ride they even picked a perfect horse for the guy from jersey with the bad back-cant say enough- our party of six had great time and we will come again next year if luna and the heard will have us thanks again

2 Thank riccnj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

The horses were very well trained, the scenery was awesome, and the staff was very accommodating! The tour was well rounded. Lots of steep parts, water, and slot canyons to ride through!

2 Thank Daniel R
Guernsey, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A day to remember....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was our first experience of trailing in the west. It was awesome from beginning to end. The directions were easy to follow from the website. The horses were well suited to each rider and instruction for handling were given clearly by the lovely managers, Jeremy and Katlyn. Our trail leader gave us history, culture & equine information along the way. This was my first western ride, possibly the most comfortable, serene & enjoyable of my life. The animals were well kept & clearly loved and understood by the owners and managers. To get the real ranch experience, we stayed a little longer after the trail to assist in feeding. Thank you to Hauer Ranch for a truly memorable day. X

Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Breath Taking Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I just finished a sunset ride which was amazing. Jeremy our guide was very informative and super patient with all my questions. This ride is a must for all level riders, the scenery awe inspiring, I've traversed the U.S. from border to border, coast to coast and nothing compares to what Moab has to offer. The Hauer Ranch is a must do in Moab. Thanks again Jeremy, Hauer Ranch and last but not least my trail ride horse Cheyenne for a cherished memory I'll never forget.

Visited November 2013

Been to Moab Horses? Share your experiences!