“Felt like home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
Slickrock Campground
Ranked #32 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Salt Lake City
“Felt like home”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed in a cabin over the weekend with a big group of friends, some of whom camped in tents. We had a great time and the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The mattresses were sealed (a must these days), there was ample picnic space and plenty of parking. The pool/jacuzzi and a big playground area are away from the sites in case of noise. There's also a big buffer from the highway; I never heard a car.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
slickrockcampground, General Manager at Slickrock Campground, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
We love Happy people! thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Holland, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The staff was kind and curteous! There was ample room in our camp site with a picnic table and grill. With a pool for the kids, showers and toilets I was very happy! I could also use the wifi at the shop, it was more then I expected from a campground for the price! My husband and I enjoyed the hut tube in the evenings, this was such a nice end to a busy day! Close to the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, perfect for day trips to both! HAD A WONDEERDFUL TIME!!! I will definitely go again!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
We love Happy people! thanks
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 26, 2011

They just don’t care. For the same money or less, there are plenty of other campgrounds in town. My wife and I were promised a reserved spot when I spoke to a girl on the phone. I called again to confirm and let them know I was going to arrive after hours. I was told my spot & reservation would be on a board outside the office. We arrived. No reservation for us. We picked a spot and in the morning I spoke to a young girl (same person as on the phone), and when I asked her about our spot/reservation, she said “yeah, don’t worry about it.” Whatever that meant.

Note that the bathrooms/showers here are disgusting. Someone might go in and pick up the trash but it can’t be more than that. And for some reason, they don’t bother emptying the trash. The trash near our campsite was overflowing on the ground and really smelled.

That night there were two groups partying until midnight. The staff did nothing. There are signs indicating hours of silence, but apparently it doesn’t matter if you violate that. The sign reads “call the police if there’s noise,” not the staff. Again, the staff doesn’t care. A TV from a camper was blaring all night. Around 2am, I got up and found the trailer, I banged on a window but no response and just gave up. The next day I spoke again with the young girl in the office. Here’s where it gets funny. After describing the location of the camper, she admitted that it was hers. I was really upset that an employee would break their own rules and her response was that she was really trashed and when she went to her trailer she just passed out. This was unacceptable in my view by she was unapologetic, defensive, and snotty. Be prepared to deal with her and her friends as they run the place. I’ve read the other bad reviews and this is definitely the same girl.

I indicated I wanted to leave early and was told there would be no refund. I demanded to speak to someone else and after some arguing, I got a 40% refund. I’ve read the responses from the campground staff to the bad reviews and they are all accusatory. Expect this if you go, which you shouldn’t.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank intohotair
slickrockcampground, Owner at Slickrock Campground, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Again, we apologize for not being able to please everyone. If you want a full service hotel.... they start at $149 + tax and go up to over $400 a night! At $49 a night we feel our property is perfect for the intelligent and budget minded travel. After all we are a "Campground".

There is a sign as you enter the office that jokingly states: "This Ain't No Hotel and Spa"! This is designed to promote a little laughter but there is also a little truth behind the saying.

I encourage everyone to come in and see our facility. We have over 50,000 guest a year in our park alone. 49,995 leave happy campers. We stand on our reputation as Moab's oldest and largest campground. 38 years and running strong!
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We stayed for three nights in September. The welcome at reception was friendly, and the pitch was well-sited under shady trees, in the far corner away from the office/shop/pool (this is a big site). The ground was bit hard though, but that's to be expected given the climate. Each site had a picnic table and grill - we only used ours for toasting marshmallows, but others cooked full meals on them.

The toilet/shower block was showing signs of wear and tear (and only had locks on the showers, not the toilet cubicles?), but was always clean. There was a small, not especially well-stocked, shop on site, where you could get free morning coffee and use the wifi to check emails. It even had a couple of sofas and a TV, if you really needed to veg out. There was also an unheated but very welcome swimming pool and a couple of hot tubs. The hot tubs didn't seem to work properly, but even sitting in the very warm water was nice after a day's exploring.

We had two different sets of nearest neighbours during our stay, both of whom arrived after 10pm and made a lot of noise setting up (and the second lot seemed to have brought arc lights to illuminate the whole campsite), which was a bit annoying, but we didn't feel we could go and complain. The office had a sign in suggesting clients call the local police station if they have a problem with noise, which suggests it might be a problem...

All in all, a good campsite, close to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, perfect for day trips to both. It's on the edge of Moab though, which is relatively expensive for eating, although humming with choice. We liked The Peace Tree for breakfast, although it wasn't cheap. Campsite cost was $20 per night for our four-person tent, I think.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Centerville, Utah
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Slickrock Camp Ground has gone way down hill. The woman who took our reservation got it for the wrong two nights and was quite nasty about it when we arrived. We had a confirmation number and had paid by credit card but weren't able to make it before the camp closed.

We parked in one of many empty spaces, waited until the office opened and were told that would be our space, we then paid for a second night. Only then did my husband unhook our trailer, connect the hook-ups.

That afternoon we found a note on our door to please check out as soon as possible as another rig was scheduled for our spot. We did check-out the next morning.

When I tried to explain we had paid for a second night (that very morning) the woman in the office was again extremely rude and refused to acknowledge this was their error. It was somehow all our fault We talked with several people who were treated rudely. We heard people complaining about the cleanliness of the facilities but did not see this ourselves as we were self-contained.

While having dinner downtown, we asked our server if she was familiar with Slickrock campground, as we wanted to know if it had changed hands recently (we have stayed there before and recommended it to friends) She did not know but told us her girlfriend had worked there and quit because the employees did nothing and the resulting customer complaints got to her.

The owners chide posters on here who are dissatisfied with the campground saying it's not a hotel and basically if you don't like the place.....tough. Rudeness is rudeness whether at a hotel or a campground or in a posted response to a customer service issue. It's obvious where the attitude of some of the staff comes from.

The store was not stocked and the staff seemed overwhelmed by the number of campers. That was surprising to us as this was UEA (Utah Education Association) a 4 day week-end that happens every year on the same week-end. The weather was forecast as great and it was. Everyone took off for a final trip before winter. That this was a surprise, surprises me and if I had been running the place I would have been to the market in town buying up soft-drinks and a few things to have in the store for my customers.

Please don't judge the fantastic city of Moab by this campground. Moab is heaven on earth and the rudeness and inconvenience we encountered at Slickrock Campground couldn't and didn't affect the great 4 days we spent there.

We will just do what unhappy customers do and simply never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Laris K

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here for a week in September 2011. This is a campground people...not a hotel. The bathrooms were ok, but most people there are there for the 4 wheeling and of course it is going to be dirty, but it was not nasty. Our site was on the end so we did not get a lot of the dust from the gravel road, but we had lots of shade, the staff was very helpful and we met lots of friendly people.We would stay here again. Thank you slickrock for a very memorable vacation!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whyldflower68
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2011

After a 400 mile day on motorcycles my friend and I were looking forward to getting some rest and hitting the parks the next day. We "upgraded" from a double tent site to a cabin due to it being a very cold and wet May in Utah. All I can say is we stayed dry. Two double beds, mine was a box spring and my friends was some kind of foam. I'm glad we had our sleeping pads for camping. They cabins were probably 10x10ft, so not much room for gear or even turning around.
Checked out the showers, the north showers were very dirty but the south showers were cleaner and in better shape.
Definitely not a Holiday Inn, but could be nicer with not to much work.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Firemanor
slickrockcampground, Owner at Slickrock Campground, responded to this review, July 21, 2011