“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed there a few years ago when in Moab and should have made reservations like I did last time. But even in just showing up they were able to get me into a cabin instead of a room for only
$5 more so it still was a good value. Lots of mountain bikers were hanging out in the TV room where there was free Wi-Fi. Used the kitchen in the AM for some coffee & breakfast I brought with me. This is a clean & friendly hostel in a busy town. Worth seeking out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Waianae, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Being very skeptical about staying here I was relieved that my visit was uneventful. the staff were accommodating the room was clean, sheets and towels were fresh. I liked having free internet. We were in a private room with bathroom located close to the room. recommend keep your stuff light because we had stairs to climb. overall I had a VERY pleasant stay.

Room Tip: for older clients try the ground floor or pack light
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carlene F
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Lazy Lizard is very clean and quiet. Sheets, blankets, and towels are fresh, showers are conveniently located and the staff was great about recommending coffee shops, places to eat, etc. I had a private room and shared a bathroom with another room and there was never a wait. The hostel is located at the end of downtown, but close to grocery stores, restaurants, bars and tourist attractions. Overall great value!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
arlington, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Lazy Lizard has its charms. The first few nights I stayed in a private room. It was clean and quiet, but I wish the AC was more powerful. There are 2 clean bathrooms to share, but there was never a wait. The hostel provided towels, shampoo and soap.

The second time I stayed in a cabin. It was a bit more money, but it felt more private. I could control the AC in the cabin. Next to the cabins there was a bigger, campground style bathroom.

The staff had some characters and the other guests were friendly and respectful.

Room Tip: I'd pay the extra money for the cabins rather than a room in the main building. They felt more...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Called and made reservations for a cabin at $40 a night. Came in around 8pm, front desk guy was fast and efficient. Cabin was more than I expected. They supplied towels and mattresses with all the bedding. (we did use our own because I am a germaphobe.) Had air conditioning and out picnic bench. The showers and the bathrooms are slightly worn down - but kept VERY clean. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to save a few dollars and who really only needs a place to sleep. There is so much to in Moab. Recommend the Island in the sky your through Navtec. It was awesome!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon J
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Okay, so I stayed here as part of a 6 week road trip through the US National Parks. I had been on the road for a while, so quite frankly I would have slept on a park bench.

This hostel was basic, but for $10 a night you can't complain I guess. I went for the 'private room' as I had camera gear etc. But saying that, the place was pretty safe, I never felt anyone was dodgy there. The room was basic as expected, but the windows wouldn't close properly. Which made it very cold at night.

The people there were the 'life transition' sorts. Most were recovering alcoholics, bankrupt etc. They were harmless on the most part, but expect to have 'pro-gun'/conspiracy conversations etc.....

Staff..... Well, most were good. One was pretty vile, gave all new guests attitude. Oddly, despite the hostel being pretty empty, he told phone enquiries they were full, so he avoided taking deposits etc. I had this issue (but turned up in person and got a room no problem).

On the whole, it is cheap - and in Moab that is no bad thing. Stay here, but be aware there will be compromises.....

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Drewunalkat
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I'm not really sure where to start on this one. Needless to say if I had an employee who was turning away business when we had availability this would be of great concern to me. I wrote to Drew hoping to get more insight, but did not get a response. Luckily I was able to find his name in our book and was able to see that he stayed with us in late May and what room he stayed in. On the night he checked in we were completely full and in the room he was in had a previous name whited out. It would appear he got a room only because of a cancellation. I'm not sure why he thought we were on the empty side. He stayed just before Memorial Day weekend, our busiest weekend of the year. We spend a week or two every year before this holiday answering the phone over and over again explaining the we have no vacancy. I believe I have solved this mystery.
I found that the window in the room did shut just fine and even if it hadn't it would not have been cold in late May. If the room was cold it would have been caused by the air conditioning.
I also would not categorize the budget travelers who stay with us as bankrupt alcoholics. I think we get a fine bunch of folks here as a general rule. I don't doubt that Drew did get into a "pro-gun conspiracy theory" conversation here, but if you come here expecting to have such a conversation I think you will be disappointed many more times than not.
Other than that, thanks for a somewhat positive review.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

cheap hotel Moab, Utah

Cheap, However very nice, very clean. Moab, Utah has the lazy lizard hostel, which you could easily miss if your not from the area. The phone number is (435) 259-6057 the address is 1213 S Hwy 191 Moab, Ut 84532. My experience was excellent, the staff was friendly yet respected your privacy, again the rooms are really just private cabins, with plenty of distance between you and your neighbors. The facilities are very suitable especially when your looking around town in a tourist location like Moab Utah, the cheapest hotel is 175 dollars a night. As far as the actual room you get, it is very clean and bug free. I stayed during the hottest summer months without bug or pest problems. At 25 or 30 dollars a night you cant beat that price for a scenic vacation in Moab. It sure beats camping at 15 dollars a night with its fair share of pest problems. The best part was the convenient location to area shopping and free wifi access which you may not get camping. All of that, while maintaining the camping feel with your private cabin and stunning view.

Room Tip: i personally liked the private cabins, very spacious and clean. however as i understand it you can h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo