“Perfect for travelers!”

Lazy Lizard International Hostel
Ranked #17 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Reviewed June 7, 2012

“Tourists don't know where they've been, travelers don't know where they're going.”

My friend and I stayed in a cabin at the Lazy Lizard and it was a perfect place to get some R & R and meet fellow travelers in between trekking through the amazing landscapes around Moab. It was comfortable & clean, and the kitchen was great for saving money on restaurants. (3 fridges and pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc) I would suggest bringing your own mess kit if its peak season, like most hostels, sometimes finding a spoon/fork etc can be a little challenging :-) Its one of those special places that the 'bad' reviews make someone like myself want to stay there. If you need coordinating linens, a mint on your pillow, and HBO, stay elsewhere! However, if you want to bump into a neat person and end up discussing your exploits around the globe on your way to the bathroom at 1am, if you want a place with character, if you'd rather save your money so you can stay longer or plan another weekend excursion, stay at the Lazy Lizard!! :-)

Room Tip: If you're new to the hostel scene, spring for a private room or cabin.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 26, 2012

A very cool place. You can stay in the hostel, but they also have private rooms with simple porches looking out on the yard, and some very private cabins spread out over the property, which is extensive. All of this is part of a lively mix of people, conversations, decent kitchen, etc.

And it is not as far from downtown Moab as I thought. One mile, which is walkable and certainly bikeable. I have stayed in a number of places in Moab, and for the price and its overall character, this is one of the best.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Well, specifically to Moab. But I knew exactly where I would be resting my weary head long before my trip started. I stumbled across the Lazy Lizard last summer and find it hard to believe there is a hostel in America that can come close to the relaxing, welcoming atmosphere that this place offers. It cracks me up how the negative reviews outnumber the positive ones because the majority of the guests share the same level of satisfaction with the joint and the same low chance of ever getting on computer to tell you about it. Right now I'm paying 10$ a night for a dorm bed (where there are clean sheets provided); a hot or cold shower whenever I please; and a living room, kitchen, and outside grilling/eating/drinking/congregating area. They offer the cheapest beds in America, the cheapest showers in Moab, and a refreshingly diverse group of guests, workers and friends that know how to appreciate and respect the beautiful land we've found ourselves on. Love you Lazy Lizard! Thanks for some of the best days of my summer.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The Hostel itself is great. Awsome people there. From the help I.E Shane,and Francis, to the backpackers basing out of the hostel. We didnt meet a single person that made us nervous. The grills and kitchen make this the most affordable place is Moab. You feel like you live there after the first day.
The only reason I couldn't give five stars is. The trash was piled up in our room. In the trash can, they didnt provide a,sheet of any sort. (Luckily I hostel quite a bit so a sleep sack is a must,and our room looked it hadnt seen a vacuum in some time.) I really aam okay with all this. All i need is a cheap place to crash while traveling. But it os something I hope they work on. Also try to make sure the people parking there are staying there.
Otherwise. The best place is Moab. I kinda dont wanna give up the secret place lol. Thanks for a greag time Lazy Lizard

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank brad d
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Got to love guests that love the place despite its flaws. However, I do need to clarify that the beds absolutely, positively, unequivicably do come with sheets. (and blankets and pillows and even pillow cases.) From the description I can only assume that the guest was checked into a dorm room before the cleaning staff got there. These things can happen, although the staff person who checked him in should have been on top of this.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

I've been staying at the Lazy Lizard annually for about 15 years, but I 'm done. Maybe I've just grown out of it or maybe it was the huge black widow we found hanging above the door in the cabin. Upon mentioning this to the staff (who were not easy to find), the guy said "Oh yeah, they're all over this place! Mainly though, I think it's the lack of pride the owner seems to have. I know it's low budget but the bath house is really disgusting and the same broken shower stall from last year still doesn't work! The bathroom stalls are made of OSB, so if you have any construction experience, that should say it all. The price is right to be sure, but the place really needs some attention. The construction debris behind Cabin 15 has been there for at least 5 years and the old caravans should be taken away. For heavens sake, spend a little money and upgrade the grounds and the bathroom! I'd actually rather camp!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DenverMoabVisitor

It's never a good thing to lose a long time customer. The people who keep coming back year after year are the bread and butter of the business. It is true that black widow spiders are common in this area, but you really shouldn't find one in your room. It is almost unheard of that they bite anybody, but if they do they can make you sick. Some local people smash them, some don't. It is too bad the desk person didn't offer to take care of this. If I had been working I would have offered to smash it for him.
It is fairly common that when somebody gets really pissed off they go out of their way to go on and on mentioning every little tiny thing that is wrong with the place, but in all honesty the level of nit picking in this review doesn't have the feel of one written by a satisfied customer of 15 years. I guess the guy just doesn't like spiders.
We do have a wood pile. We burn the wood in the winter in our wood stove. Behind cabin 15 is the most out-of-the-way corner on the property.
The bath house building is not disgusting. It received a fresh coat of paint this season as it does most years. It gets cleaned daily, although it does get a lot of use. Sorry the dude was offended by our choice of building material.
The shower is not still broken from last year, although it was broken again. It works fine now.
And Caravans? Really? Nobody in this country uses that word. And they aren't here anymore. (except for two that we use for tools and maintenance supplies.) It is true that we did in the past have a number of travel trailers that we used as employee housing and then we let a couple of nice people pay us to park theirs here. We were told by the county over a year ago that we can't do that anymore. So those folks who have been avoiding us out of fear of travel trailers can now safely return.
And lastly this guy has no clue at to what I do or do not take pride in.
But again, sorry about the spider.

Again, sorry about the spider.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

Overall the Lazy Lizard gave us a spot to camp on, but the space itself is overladen with trash and we were surrounded by folks who seemed to be squatting there.

Room Tip: Choose the cabins instead of the dorms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Just to be clear, we do not have a campground. We have a patch of dirt out back. It isn't much, but we don't claim that it is. I took a walk around it just now and found neither trash nor squatters. If someone let you throw your tent back there on a night we were full I guess that's what we get for trying to do a favor.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

It's definitely you get what you paid for, but we wanted something economical, and this did it! The cabin itself was clean, but the bedding really does need to be updated a little. The first night, the crowd was a little scary to us, but the second night a lot of Europeans and hikers arrived, and the atmoshpere was a little more what I had hoped for. The kitchen worked out well for s'mores, cereal, and sandwiches. The fridges were full and disgusting, so don't plan on using those. We fit 2 parents, and 4 kids in a cabin, and I would do it again for the savings. We used our extra money for food and activities.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family