“A hostel with the character built in”

Lazy Lizard International Hostel
Ranked #17 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Avoid the schlocky chain hotels and stay in a place with a ton of unique and colorful character. My second visit to the Lazy Lizard--wouldn't stay anywhere else. It's not for everyone because it is so laid back, nearly impossible to find behind a self storage establishment, and the amenities are, well, available if you ask. The cabins are great ($40 a night for places for four (double bunks); families stayed here so no worries there. So do local rock jocks and travelers and some people, maybe the cleaning crew, who seem to sit at the same picnic table outside the office most of the day, with endless stories and bonhomie. They've go private rooms, too, and dorm rooms for next to nothing. Computers are available, maps, paperback books, fridge, kitchen, the works. A memory always in the making. Recommend it highly, if you aren't high maintenance.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cacksammel

Reviewed May 23, 2011

The first thing that struck me about this place was that it didn't seem to cater to an international market with mostly Americans staying here.

After I was given a brief description of the facilities and pointed in the direction of my female dorm room, I was shocked to find that there were no locks for the front door of the hostel or my dorm room. Added to that there were no lockers in the room to keep valuables, and I didn't feel like my belongings would be secure here.

I struggled to get to the top bunk and when I did it sagged like a banana and I felt every squeaky spring in the mattress.

The bathroom was okay, although I think there was only 2 for the hostel.

The small lounge and common area seemed to have some people there and could be a good meeting spot. It did feel like there could be potential for a good hostel in this converted home.

I only stayed one night and then pitched my tent at a campground for the rest of my stay in Moab. My airbed is way better than the beds at Lazy Lizard. I guess you get what you pay for at $9 per night.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank alittlecameo
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Very run down and certainly they are doing only what they need to to keep it up and running. That said it has the basics at a cheap price if you don't want to camp. I would rather go camping but sometimes the weather will test you and after a week a shower is nice. Adequate if you know hostels is the final verdict.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed November 27, 2010

The Lazy Lizzard hostel is laid back and a bit run down. So be prepared for a bit of dirt/dust/dirtye pans etc. The cabins are okay, but the setting is a bit run down, so no 5* resort.

We've stayed at a cabin and that was basic but fine. The cabin was clean and the toilets and showers were cleaned regularly. The staff is al little bit strange (kind of hippies), but very friendly.

The location is conveniently near Arches and Canyonlands NP. So overall it's a nice place if you go with the flow.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulG78
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Can't beat the price, but thought we could walk to restaurants and it's not really convenient to anything being out on the edge of town. We rented a cabin. It was really simple, but good enough for sleeping...which is the only thing we did there. If you have a trailer, there's really no room, but the guy who owns the storage units out front will let you park it there for $5/night.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Catalyst_12
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Rude, drunk staff. Drunk old creeps lingering all dayand smoking inside. At some point of our stay a group of guys, including the staff were going in and out of a room, locking the door behind them and looking high as hell. I've seen people high on coke before, but ten of them in the same house with my five months pregnant wife was a little too intense. roaches, flyes, spiders all over the place crawling in the kitchen, the refrigerators are stained with spilled food. the bathrooms are disgusting. The second night we heard someone trying to open our door at 3 am. the room stinked like pee and feet. I would never go back to this place. I'd rather pay a full price hotel room and go burgoise than staying here for free. We were coming from staying in hostels during our roadtrip between AZ and UT enjoying hostels and meeting peolpe all over until we got here. I would never, ever recomend this hostel to anyone unless they like hanging out with drunk all men and getting hammered all day. Lazy is the right name for this place. If you want to enjoy you vacation don't stay here. I still feel guilty for taking my pregnant wife in our anniversay trip to this dump. BTW, I am sure all the positive reviewes i read are from the staff and owner of this s#!t hole.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Zekeh81
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I've stayed in may hostels all over the world that run the whole spectrum and this one is pretty bottom of the barrel. The main house is pretty shabby and smells bad. There is not much space inside or out for just hanging out. The man at the front desk reeked of alcohol. Everything seemed to be coated in years of grease and grime. The cabins are marginally better, but only because they are not in the main house. We paid for two nights and promptly left to stay with a friend in town instead. My recommendation is to camp off Sand Flats road or Ken's Lake and if you need to, pay LL $3 for a shower.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends