“Didn't love it, but good value for money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
The Mayor's House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 15 Moab B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Didn't love it, but good value for money”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Mayor's House for 3 nights during a tour of the National Parks in July 2013.

Whilst it's good value for money I didn't think it was amazing for the following reasons;

* Reserving a room at the B&B was quite a strange experience. As it's now 2013, we are pretty used to booking online, so I filled out their form on their website (twice) but after 1 week never heard back. I then emailed them directly and got no response. I then resorted to calling (so old school) and made a booking. Even upon asking for an email confirming my reservation (which is kind of standard), I got an answer saying "it's in our reservations book". If this was 1995 then fine but I just found this kind of strange.
* The room (the Indian Room) was in the basement with no natural light, and I mean virtually none whatsoever, it was like being in a prepper's bunker without the canned food. It was seriously depressing. The main lighting was very bright neon which may work in a hospital but not for a B&B.
* The 'no locks' rule. We both found it strange that we were not given keys to our room. Upon asking about this, we were instructed not to lock either our room's door, or the door to the basement rooms as there wasn't any crime. This just felt a bit unnerving as we both had laptops, iphones and ipads in our room. All it takes is for one dodgy guest....

On the plus side, the rooms were spotless and the breakfasts quite delicious, so if you were to book a room that is NOT in the basement area I think you may enjoy the whole experience a lot better. In line with the other reviews, the owners are also very nice. The location is good and a mere 10 mins walk to the main road.

I must admit I felt Moab as a town was over-rated and I think two nights is more than enough, the main street was just a main road and it was overall pretty charmless. I don't know why so many American friends raved about it. Maybe I was missing something. I just found it overall pretty drab, nothing like Springdale, Utah which is the town on the border of Zion National Park which was a great spot. Arches was amazing though, as was Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JSSLondon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
North Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of stay at the Mayor's B&B in Moab Utah and I am glad I did. The owners were cordial and helpful the minute we arrived explaining the daily routine. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious as we selected one of the bigger rooms. Huge pool with plenty a room to swim and relax after a long hike in Arches Nat'l Park.
Breakfast was great as was the attention paid by the owners. They made us feel very welcomed.
The price for the room, etc. was very reasonable compared to most of the motels in town.
We would definitely recommended Mayor's.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TOM L
London
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this B&B during our recent tour of the National Parks. The B&B is good but not great. It is a decent spot if you want a clean spacious room and a good breakfast at a reasonable price. It's definitely good value for money, however it could be so much better.

Let's start from the room. I am not sure how many rooms there are in this B&B, but a few of them are in the basement. Ours was the Indian room and it was qute dark. The room was extremely clean and well maintained, but the decor definitely is not my favourite. The biggest put off for me was the bright white neon lighting, more appropriate for a shop than a bedroom.

The other thing we found quite odd is that there are no keys on the doors. The owner explained that in Utah there is no crime. Fair enough, but in the house there are several other people coming from pretty much everywhere.

Beside the bedroom. The communal areas are spacious and confortable, with big beautiful windows overlooking the patio. the deco of the communal areas is in line with the bedroom.

I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice.

Breakfast was very very good. Freshly cooked and enough to keep you going for most of the day.

The B&B is not too far from the centre of town. I've seen someone complaining that you have to drive to go to the Main Street. Well, that probably depends on your phisical state. We always walked and it takes probably 10 minutes to get to all the bars, restaurants and attractions of the Main Street.

All in all, this B&B is OK. Someone may love it, for me was just a decent place considering the cost, but definitely this was not a stay I will be dreaming about.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DanieleSB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at the Mayor's House for 3 nights (June 14-17) and I must admit we were very impressed. The web site doesn't do it justice. We splurged for a bigger room on the main floor and it was worth it (and not that much more money). When we arrived we were greeted by one of the owners and he was very helpful in discussing trails and going over my pre-arranged itinerary. The room was perfect....just enough of rusticness to make it fun. There is a good sized pool outside and a deck area was adjacent to our room. In the morning, all the guests were at breakfast and we discussed our plans - what we saw and what we want to see - over an excellent breakfast by the hosts. (Ignore the one review on here regarding low quality food - there is always one "loser" review and that one was definitely off.) Our hosts would often chime in and help out with suggestions and history during breakfast. It was a very nice way to start the day. The B&B is located just a few blocks from the main street. It's walkable or a short drive away. If you are doing Arches or Canyonland, you won't have far to go. There are other hikes/trails in the area and the guys can help you plan your time. We will definitely come back and stay here when we return to Moab. This was an ideal B&B and we look forward to our return.

Room Tip: Take the Master Suite - it will be well worth it based on size and location. The smaller rooms are...
1 Thank toddster90
St. George, Utah
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here during a weekend getaway to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We were later than planned and the proprietors like to have their guests arrive in the afternoon, so that kind of put us off at first, but when we arrived the host was nothing but gracious and friendly. The breakfasts were delicious and the rooms comfortable. I tend to use a lot of towels and they were kind of sparse here, but I'm sure if I had needed more they would have provided them without issue. The hosts provided great information about the area, history, trivia, tips, scenic drives, etc. There were several other couples staying there that weekend. Our favorite was a young couple from the U.K. traveling around the US for a couple weeks. So friendly and interesting to visit with. I hope they had a great time on the rest of their journey through the western US and safe trip home. We were sorry to have to leave, and will definitely consider a stay here again.

1 Thank AmyCN
USA
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a big B&B traveler but this place was recommended by a friend and turned out to be really nice. The rooms are comfortable and included en-suite bathroom. Living room and deck are available 24 hours. Pool is a great end of a long hiking day and they even have a hot tub. Breakfasts were hearty and delicious. Conversation with other guests was interesting and fun. Good value for the money and makes for better memories of Moab than staying at a chain motel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken_LAF
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay - the hosts are so warm and welcoming - the breakfasts are great to eat and a joy to look at. The location is also great - walking distance to downtown (if you haven't hiked yourself out already).

When I called to make the reservation for one of the regular rooms at this B&B, all were full except for the bunkhouse. When the owner mentioned that they would discount the price for the bunkhouse room since only two of us were traveling, we said yes. We had a huge room with lots of space. We had a couch and TV, plus a fridge and microwave.

Best of all it was like having our own personal adviser on what to see and do in the area. We were slightly uncertain whether we would be capable of hiking to delicate arch because the NP brochure said it was strenuous. They encouraged us to take water, take our time and go do it. We are so glad that they encouraged us. They also suggested hiking to Corona Arch. It was nice to have someone to talk with about what to do and what to see. It was also really fun to meet other people who were staying at the B&B.

When we arrived, it was like arriving at home, and after the tour showing us our room, and where the pool, patio, spa, etc. was located, David asked if we needed restaurant information/advice. We did - this was our first time in Moab. It was great that if you needed something, they were available to provide assistance, but they did not hover.

Breakfast was served at the same time each day, and then everyone was pretty much on there own. It was a wonderful experience, and we will look forward to visiting again.

Great job!