“Extreme lack of customer service and satisfaction”

Hotel Moab Downtown
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Colorado
“Extreme lack of customer service and satisfaction”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and two small children and I stayed at The Ramada in Moab over the Canyonlands half marathon weekend. At first we were pleased with the location and the refurbed room we received. My friend (Wendy W) arrived the next day and was given a very old, not refurbished room above the lobby. I am very disappointed to read the managers response below because I accompanied Wendy to the front desk on her first day there and witnessed the conversation. Wendy expressed her extreme dissatisfaction with the condition of the room. Wendy was very specific about the dirty, creaky floor and toilet that did not flush. She also expressed frustration for being charged the same as the refurbished rooms. We even asked about other rooms. So the fact that management is posting such blatant fallacies is very disturbing and disappointing. The managements argumentative reply to her post is very much like the response I saw in person. No compassion was give to Wendy and her situation, the front desk clerk treated her like a bothersome enemy rather than a guest. Even if Wendy could not be accommodated any well trained staff would know how to apologize for her inconvenience and do the best to make her current stay comfortable.

Ramada clearly has taken steps to improve this location. However, I suggest they match some of the investment that has gone in to the refurbishment with better staff training in customer service. The old adage, "customer is king" is not followed here.

Also, this suggestion sounds pretty common sense but one would think that there would be fewer unhappy customers if the non- refurbished rooms went for a lesser rate. In our case both Wendy and I were charged the same. Wendy has no idea I am posting this or that I have read her post. I am a senior poster so I don't want anyone to think that my post is a conspiracy to drop Ramada's ratings. If management changed and I could be guaranteed to not get an old room, I would consider returning again.

1 Thank pmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Cortez, Colorado
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I really liked this hotel. The upgraded rooms are a good value and especially the ones on the north side of the property by Mill Creek. My room was clean and quiet. The staff were friendly. I kept having to change my reservation around due to weather and sicknes, and they were accomodating. There is a wonderful walking/biking/running path right by the hotel and its within walking distance of great places to eat. My only feedback is that in a water critical area such as Utah, the shower heads should be switched out to save water but that's just a personal thing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed here two nights. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Stayed in renovated room and it was perfect! Very spacious and clean with comfortable beds and pillows, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and three windows for wonderful natural light and great view of park next door. Hotel is in walking distance of grocery store, shops, visitors center and restaurants. Very well located. All this, and a great price too! Don't pass this place up. We will definitely stay here again. Also very much enjoyed Moab diner for breakfast, right across the street!

Room Tip: Request renovated room with view of park.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Room was really nice. Looked like a Hampton Inn the way the room was decorated. Beds and pillows were comfortable. Rooms were quiet and clean.

• Stayed March 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I am absolutely disgusted by the rooms they are choosing to rent out to families. I feel that their practices and customer service is un-ethical. We checked in asking for a renovated room and the rude front desk girl told us "absolutely not. Your reservation is for an un-renovated room." Thinking fine, how bad could this be we went up to the room, and my breath was taken away. This room was DISGUSTING! I have a one year old baby, and was afraid to put her down in this room. The carpet was so dirty it was practically black. The wallpaper was coming off the walls and there were nasty stains on the filthy old chairs. The toilet did not flush and the tub would not drain in the teeny tiny bathroom that had dirt and hair in the corners. There was a gap in the wall between the air conditioner big enough for my one year old to get her fingers stuck. I went down to the front desk and expressed my dissatisfaction. The woman at the front got immediately confrontational and rude and told me there was nothing she could do. I asked to be refunded my second night so I could stay somewhere else where I could actually flush the toilet, and she told me "NO REFUNDS." I explained that I did not feel that it was ethical practices to be charging me the same amount for a dinky old room that she was charging my friend that got lucky enough to have a renovated room. She got even more rude and short with me telling me that there was nothing she would do and it was "per the owners that no refunds be given for any reason." I did not sleep that night because I was worried I would find a cockroach crawling on my baby's head. We woke up still, to find my baby's face covered in some sort of rash. I cannot believe that they would put a family with kids in a room that I feel is un-hygienic and un-safe, a room that they themselves would not stay in if they were to spend a night in their own hotel. That to me is what makes their practices un-ethical. And then to do nothing to try to make it right. We left after the first night, still being charged for two. I WILL NEVER STAY IN A RAMADA AGAIN.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
2 Thank Wendy W
RamadaMoab, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Moab Downtown, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Wendy W:

Thank you for your comments. Your husband, Ken W (See Review from Ken W from Denver, CO), who stayed in the same room had agreed and booked for a room over a special event that had a 2 day stay minimum requirement. You were advised of the 2 day stay restriction at your time of booking, but did not want to honor your agreement. You reserved the room knowing the agreement. At check-in, you told hotel you had booked for 2 nights, but only want to be charged for 1 night. Hotel advised that rooms over the particular special event is a 2 night stay minimum and you had agreed to it in order to reserve the room. You and your husband, Ken W, registered and stayed at the hotel that evening. The next morning, you told front desk you were checking out and did not want to be charged for 2nd night. Again, the hotel advised you that you had agreed to a 2 night stay at time of booking and it would not be fair to other customers who also have agreed to the terms and are honoring their agreements. During your stay and also at check out, you did not once mention you were not happy with the room. You only advised hotel that you did not want to honor your booking agreement terms with the hotel.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Moab hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 18, 2012

In my 45 yrs of life, this place has my award for WORST hotel & customer service ever. Desk clerks very unfriendly, seem annoyed that they had to work. Not helpful at all, with a I don't care about you or anyone else attitude. The room was a MESS, a fresh wet sticky stain on one of the chairs was a magnet for my 16 month old child. Big gap between A/C unit and wall, could see right out into the street. Bed was horrible, I wonder if they found this mattress in the dessert and stuck it in the room. Dirty water fixtures, mirrors, walls, ceiling and floors. My wall locker in the military was bigger then the bathroom at this hotel, you can shower while sitting on the toilet it is that small. A night in jail would of be a better stay in Moab than 5 minutes at the Ramada Inn Moab. We had two nights booked and we left after the first night it was just to much to take. I WILL NEVER STAY AT ANY RAMADA HOTEL EVER AGAIN AS LONG AS I LIVE AND I'LL ADVISE EVERYONE I CAN TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY RAMADA. So if you are reading this take my advice stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at any other hotel other than the RAMADA.
2 Thank Ken W
Dear Ken W: Thank you for your comments. Your wife, Wendy W (See Review from Wendy W from Denver, CO), who stayed in the same room had agreed and booked for a room over a special event that had a 2 day stay minimum requirement. You were advised of the 2 day stay restriction at your time of booking, but did not want to honor your agreement. You reserved the room knowing the agreement. At check-in, you told hotel you had booked for 2 nights, but only want to be charged for 1 night. Hotel advised that rooms over the particular special event is a 2 night stay minimum and you had agreed to it in order to reserve the room. You and your husband, Ken W, registered and stayed at the hotel that evening. The next morning, you told front desk you were checking out and did not want to be charged for 2nd night. Again, the hotel advised you that you had agreed to a 2 night stay at time of booking and it would not be fair to other customers who also have agreed to the terms and are honoring their agreements. During your stay and also at check out, you did not once mention you were not happy with the room. You only advised hotel that you did not want to honor your booking agreement terms with the hotel.

Thank you.
Alpine, Wyoming
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is the third time we've stayed here, so I can finally give a definative opinion. The rooms above the lobby are old and small, but the ones in the wings are newly remodeled and are very nice. New HDTV's, comfortable beds, good size mini fridge if you stay several days and great showers with double showerheads. My only detraction this time was the restaraunt had poor service and not great food. With all the great places to eat in Moab you might as well give it a pass.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a remodeled room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family