“Surprisingly Good”

Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I thought there was only a single building at this site and was floored to find a whole complex there. I enjoyed seeing the reproduction of the building where the surrender of Lee's forces took place. Even though it wasn't the real thing, it was a special feeling being there. A sacred place. The volunteer who explained the story behind the events leading to the surrender was superlative, perhaps the best I have ever heard. He made the story come alive. We sat at the edge of our seats while he spoke. And it was great that he gave it outside so he could point to places where things took place. It's a bit out of the way, even for folks from Richmond, but I think we will find our way back some day.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Appomattox Courthouse is such an atmospheric place to visit, not just because of its place in American history but because it is like stepping back in time and it is so well preserved with some of the best docents I have experienced in the States. Would a second visit live up to the first visit some years ago now I had my grandson with me? Absolutely! We were the first to arrive in glorious sunshine and they let us wander the area and see them opening up the place. It was an opportunity to meet some of the docents and talk to them about the place and their involvement in the site. When the time came it was great to see them go into character. We learned so much from the two gentlemen at Clover Hill Tavern especially from the ‘doctor’ about the illnesses affecting the mid C19th indigenous population and how the American Civil War spread diseases over the States with the mass movements of troops. When the tour proper started the ranger was excellent and explained everything very cogently. We were unhurried and allowed time in all the buildings. The visitor centre in the Courthouse is very informative and I’d forgotten just how modern it is inside the reconstructed building. The wall display uses lights to reflect the movement of the armies and seeing this puts everything into context. All the buildings are furnished appropriately for the period adding to its sense of historic accuracy. This is a must for all students of American history [including we Brits] who have an especial interest in the War Between the States. Very highly recommended.

2  Thank EximiousTraveller
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We loved Appomatox! The buildings to tour are in great repair. The museum part of the court house is very informative, as is the slide presentation. The Union soldier that is role playing was spot on! He gave a great "performance". The McLean House and the story that goes with it is memorable. You can tour 2 floors of the jail; the mercantile is assembled as it would have been in the Civil War period. Well worth the stop while on a Civil War battlefield excursion!

1  Thank Bellaire56
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had ages 2 in a stroller to grandpa at 64, it was interesting for everyone. We went during the week in November and there were no crowds. Very clean and neat. The workers were very helpful and friendly. The information was laid out in a way that attracted a lot of different learning styles.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

A small complex of 19th century buildings well maintained and restored. That would be interesting and worth the visit. The exhibits are educational and well curated. And, in our increasingly modernized world it's worth it to me to experience a sweeping landscape without power or phone lines. But all of these things don't begin to explain the power of this place. Just being here drives your mind back to the time when our nation was first torn asunder and then began the (still ongoing I think) process of knitting ourselves back together. This place makes you think about things we all might prefer to leave buried in a history textbook and that explains the value of a visit. Go out of your way to make this a stop on your trip. You'll be surprised. I wonder what a foreign visiter (not entangled in American history) makes of this place.