“Great location for solo traveler” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Laurel Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Laurel Lodge
You added Laurel Lodge to your Saves list
Ranked #3 of 11 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great location for solo traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spent the weekend in Harper's Ferry by myself recently - just wanted a quiet refuge from my busy job in DC, with plenty of time to relax and breathe. Laurel Lodge was a fantastic place to make this happen. From the start, the host Chris was accommodating, full of tips and information and very kind. I stayed in the Cedar Room, which had a beautiful view and lovely furnishings (and its own bathroom). The view from the back porch really cannot be beat, I spent most of my visit sitting out there with a book, taking in the mountains and river.

The two breakfasts I got were wonderful - I loved hearing where all of the ingredients were sourced from (from local farms to their own garden!), and the dishes were homey but just creative enough to be interesting. The highlight for me was fresh peaches in a honey & rosemary syrup - really great.

Thank you to Chris (and Ed, who I only met briefly as I was leaving but seemed quite nice) for making my stay so lovely and relaxing. I've already started recommending the B&B to others, and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Cedar Room has the best view by far, similar to that off the back porch. Please do note that...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a lovely place to stay. The house is beautiful and delicately restored. Clean and comfortable. Our favorite feature was the wraparound porch which is perfect for admiring the view of the valley and Potomac river. There has been no detail overlooked at this B&B. Breakfast is served with elegant glassware and cloth table coverings, not a paper napkin or plastic cup to be seen. Each dish is described by the host pointing out the local ingredients used (fresh mint leaves picked from the garden that morning). Chris takes pride in being the consummate inn keeper and my family truly enjoyed meeting him and staying at this wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JandBforever
ROCKVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to getaway for our first anniversary and Laurel Lodge was a great choice. Beautiful property with a really interesting story behind it. Breathtaking views from our room (Pine View) and the back porch.

Chris is a wonderful innkeeper who has a great eye for detail. Breakfast both mornings were delicious and locally sourced. We will be back!

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AL215
Shelton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! We spent the night at the Laurel Lodge. It was a very historic inn, actually only 4 rooms are rented out. We had an awesome view of the mountains and rivers out of our bedroom window. The sound of the train only added to the ambiance.Our room had a bath down the hall but it was private. This was not a problem for us. Chris and Ed are very accommodating innkeepers.

After dinner we sat out on the back porch and enjoyed the fireflies dancing in the trees. It was very relaxing and almost surreal. Hard to believe but it seemed even quieter than on Harstine Island (home). After a great nights sleep we had a wonderful breakfast which I could not eat all of. Fresh baked scones, fresh blueberry and strawberry yogurt parfait, bacon and oatmeal pancakes. That is seriously the best part of staying at these B&B’s!

After we checked out we took the guide they provided and checked out the artifacts that are imbedded within the house. Many Civil War artifacts and also other curio items. This B&B was featured on HGTV. The cat, which hung around the house but not sure if he lived there, didn’t seem to want us to leave.

We then went back into the downtown area of Harper’s Ferry and found it to be very fascinating.. I was told that where the rivers meet is the lowest elevation in the state of West Virginia. That would explain the bad cell phone reception! We continued to explore the shops and museums. As you can see from the pictures the architecture is beautiful! It is really like you have stepped back in time.

I would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here on my way back from doing the 150th re-enactment of the battle of Gettysburg as I was re-tracing the line of the Confederate retreat (they crossed the Potomac slightly upstream at Williamsport). Laurel Lodge just snouted it above The Jackson Rose due to the view offered by the Cedar room. This overlooks the Potomac and Maryland Heights on the other side of the river as well as the railroad track (strangely not featuring in the reviews or the publicity). Thanks to heavy tree growth and the fact that the trains don't appear to run through the night, this was not a problem and anyway I find the sound of American locomotive whistles romantic. I was quizzed as to whether I knew what river it was - I've visited the area many times so I did know!
I only just got there before the latest check in time of 7.00 pm - don't know what would have happened if I had been later. While I just wanted to sort out my kit and have a shower, I got the full tour and was even required to pay up there and then. The room was somewhat gloomy but of a decent size and the bathroom was well equipped with a hair dryer tucked in a little cupboard. There are a few nice features like a fridge and beverage facilities (and cake) although this is downstairs in the hallway.
Expect a trek if you want dinner in Harpers Ferry. The historic centre is quite a way away and down a steep hill - fortunately some nice Irish people gave me a lift back up the hill. Dining options are few - down to two on a Monday night apparently. The innkeeper Chris professed to know nothing of the top-rated Vista Tavern and Grill which is only just outside the town - I had even passed it on the way in. But their posh restaurant was apparently booked for a private function and the 'We've got crabs' sign by the entrance was a bit off putting anyway.
If I've got any criticism it's that the innkeeper was too obtrusive. I was up early putting stuff in the car - a fact that was commented on. Was my room bugged?! And I got a full description of where the breakfast ingredients were sourced from. Frankly, I couldn't care less except it was all completely delicious and probably worth going back just for that. By the way you'll need to decide what time you want breakfast the night before. The value for money aspect has been a little dented by a significant recent price hike but Laurel Lodge should certainly feature on your Harpers Ferry short list if only for the view (and the breakfast!).

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cedar Room which overlooks the Potomac, Maryland Heights and the railroad! Nice view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MikeGOxford
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Chris and Ed have managed to create something great and authentic at Laurel Lodge. We arrived a little jaded after 3 days in Washington following a transatlantic flight, this was the antidote! The attention to detail and just making sure everything was perfect was amazing. Breakfast was an experience in itself, beautiful locally sourced ingredients.

The nAtural scenery of the area is breath taking which is helped by a lovely balcony and chairs. We would recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Ask for one over looking the river,it's breath taking!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the lodge July 1, 2013, a very busy time of year for them; they were efficient, friendly and helpful. We loved the view out the back. My only complaint was that I did not have enough time to really enjoy it. They went out of their way to accommodate my complicated dietary restraints. Our hope is to be back again.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room in the back if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bavarian Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
4.0 of 5 stars 709 reviews
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Laurel Lodge? Share your experiences!