“Decent food, but don't think we will visit again.”
Review of Southern Smoke BBQ

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Southern Smoke BBQ
Ranked #20 of 26 Restaurants in Harpers Ferry
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My boyfriend and I are new to the Harpers Ferry area and decided to go out for a casual dinner. We chose this restaurant because my boyfriend is a big fan of BBQ and we liked the idea of the restaurant being in a train caboose. The menu was very limited, with only 3 BBQ options on the menu. I had the crabcake sandwich with a side of green beans and my boyfriend had the pulled pork sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Neither of us were overly impressed with our meal. The food was decent enough, but nothing that would make us want to go back again. The crabcake seemed to be cooked well and was full of meat rather than filler, but my green beans tasted like the can they most likely came out of. The meat in the pulled pork sandwich was tender, but it was covered in an extremely thick sauce that didn't taste all that great. These sandwiches would have been reasonably priced if they were of a better quality. Our waitress was pleasant and did check on us a few times, but it seemed as though the staff spent most of the time we were there outside smoking or talking on the phone. They only came inside once in a while. Overall, our experience could have been worse, but we won't be going back.

1  Thank winske25

Reviewed August 20, 2010

We sat there 5-10 minutes & almost walked out. They were out of mac & chz which I really wanted. We are locals & heard the BBQ was amazing but my food was cold & I was over it. No one asked how we were. The owners just stood around talking the entire time. It is a cute caboose car but we probably won't go back.

Reviewed June 18, 2010

We decided to spend a day with our teenagers exploring Harper's Ferry. After a day of walking in the heat, we were hungry and VERY thirsty. We picked this place because it looked quaint and interesting. We were the only customers in the place and waited over 5 minutes for a young girl to even acknowledge us and ask what we wanted to drink. We all ordered Pepsi - which were 20 oz bottles priced at almost $2 each. After waiting another 5 minutes without receiving those bottled Pepsis, we decided to leave. The two waitresses (both very young looking) were in the back talking as we walked out the door. As a side note, their prices seem pretty high. My daughter was going to order a grilled cheese sandwich which was listed for $9.43. That seems a bit overpriced to me - especially given the lack of attention to their customers.

1  Thank amy_sky
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I believe this place (in the old red train caboose) is now called "Hannah's Train Depot" and has recently changed ownership. Our innkeepers recommended it - we initially passed it up because they don't serve beer, but after an overpriced, substandard meal elsewhere, we decided to give it a try. I had a fried oyster sandwich with mac and cheese, and my companions had the pork barbecue sandwich with fries and the crabcake sandwich with fries. Most meals come with one side and are priced so they come out to exactly $10 with tax. That's not too bad, especially compared to the other choices in Harpers Ferry.
We were all very happy with our meals. The portions were excellent and the food was delicious. It's nothing too fancy, just good old Southern food. I tried the barbecue and was AMAZED - it doesn't even need sauce to be delicious - that's saying something! However, the sauce that came with it was great, too. I loved my oysters and side of mac and cheese. It came with tartar sauce and that was all it needed.
The service could've been friendlier - not to say they weren't friendly at all. They were just kind of on the apathetic side of friendly. At any rate, it's still a great option in Harpers Ferry and I hope they are successful.

2  Thank BuildingHugger
Reviewed October 19, 2007

While this place is a hole in the wall, the BBQ and cole slaw are great!!! Since I am not a snob, the ambiance was not as important to me as the taste of the food. I am a huge BBQ fan and I do not like every BBQ sandwich I taste... however the BBQ at Southern Smoke is excellent. My husband and I love it and return as often as possible to get our fix satisfied! The workers are down to earth, common folk, and my husband and I love catching up with them when we visit.

3  Thank powellme