“Just Don't!!!”

Southern Smoke BBQ
Ranked #21 of 26 Restaurants in Harpers Ferry
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I am becoming convinced there are no decent places to eat in the historic Harper's Ferry area unless you stick to ice cream. They are just tourist traps and feed us rancid disgusting food. On an extremely hot day my husband and I were lured in by the smell of barbecue being grilled outside. We asked for iced teas which we took huge sips of only to discover it had turned rotten. My chicken sandwich had not been grilled outside but seemed to be a dried rotisserie chicken pulled off and put onto bread. They charged us up the wazoo for this very unappetizing, rotten (literally) disappointment. The health dept should close this operation down!!

2  Thank Beachykeen777

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We love BBQ. There was allot of enticing smoke from the grills (not really usable, it seemed-more for the atmosphere), but when we went inside, there was a decided smell of sulfur (maybe someone was eating eggs?), the place seemed less than clean, so we turned around and left. Can't understand why the strong odor of smokey BBQ would be entirely washed out with the sulfur smell.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Don't let the great smell of wood smoke fool you into stepping inside and eating. We've eaten at dozens of BBQ joints all over the US and know how good BBQ should be prepared and taste and this was not our first trip to Harpers Ferry so we were expecting the prices. Our group of four had the pulled chicken with BBQ sauce sandwich, pulled pork sandwich and ribs. The ribs were tough, dry, and flavorless - no rub for flavoring,and had obviously been cooked at least a day before and reheated in the microwave. It was the same with the pulled chicken - no flavoring and the BBQ sauce on top was a horrible off the shelf brand. I expected the sauce to be mixed throughout not put on top. The pulled pork was the same. Side dishes included mac n cheese out of a can, coleslaw out of a can, and fries which were the only good part of the meal. The ice tea was old but soft drinks were mixed well. The service was good. Prices were typical for Harpers Ferry. Spend your money on better food at another establishment such as the Anvil or Secret Six.

1  Thank Li R
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My boyfriend and I are new to the Harpers Ferry area and decided to go out for a casual dinner. We chose this restaurant because my boyfriend is a big fan of BBQ and we liked the idea of the restaurant being in a train caboose. The menu was very limited, with only 3 BBQ options on the menu. I had the crabcake sandwich with a side of green beans and my boyfriend had the pulled pork sandwich with a side of coleslaw. Neither of us were overly impressed with our meal. The food was decent enough, but nothing that would make us want to go back again. The crabcake seemed to be cooked well and was full of meat rather than filler, but my green beans tasted like the can they most likely came out of. The meat in the pulled pork sandwich was tender, but it was covered in an extremely thick sauce that didn't taste all that great. These sandwiches would have been reasonably priced if they were of a better quality. Our waitress was pleasant and did check on us a few times, but it seemed as though the staff spent most of the time we were there outside smoking or talking on the phone. They only came inside once in a while. Overall, our experience could have been worse, but we won't be going back.

1  Thank winske25
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We sat there 5-10 minutes & almost walked out. They were out of mac & chz which I really wanted. We are locals & heard the BBQ was amazing but my food was cold & I was over it. No one asked how we were. The owners just stood around talking the entire time. It is a cute caboose car but we probably won't go back.