“Lovely meal!”

The Anvil Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Casual dining in a rustic atmosphere. Established in 1985, local produce featured in season. OPEN Wednesday - Saturday 11 am to 9 pm, bar and slots open later. OPEN Sunday for brunch 10 am. Will open for private parties of 40 or more on Monday or Tuesday. Private rooms available for groups small to 100 inside. Tented patio for special outdoor events up to 150
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We had a tasty meal here -- not sure why the rating isn't higher! The shrimp and crab putanesca was great, and our waitress was fantastic.

1  Thank QueenTraveler22

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There seem to be a lot of snack/BBQ/cafe type places in the old town Harpers Ferry area so my friends and I came to the Anvil for more of a sit-down meal. The food was good but not amazing and service was fine. I was surprised to see that a lot of the menu was focused on seafood since West Va is not exactly near the sea. I had pasta with lobster and shrimp and it was good. Portion size was not overwhelming, as sometimes happens with pasta. My friends liked their meals as well. I was glad that I had room for Derby pie for dessert! I would probably go back if I was in the area again.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was a bit concerned by some of the reviews, but we decided to take a chance and were glad we did. The Anvil is a charming place with lots of character. We were seated in the dining room by the fire on a chilly night in the off-season. It was my birthday, so wewere looking for something special and most of the other better restaurants in Harpers Ferry must not have been open yet for the season. We were warmly greeted by the hostess in the outer bar and shown to our seats, where we were immediately greeted by our waitress. We selected a nice bottle of wine, which was opened and poured at our table, as per usual. There was a nice wine selection with very reasonable prices. We enjoyed the soup of the day, a nice crab soup with a tomato base, similar to a Manhattan clam chowder, which was nicely spiced. Following a nice fresh salad, I had the Prime Rib special and my wife had seafood crepes. The crepes, while good, were the only slight disappointment because they were fried, not light and fluffy as expected. Our waitress was attentive and gracious throughout, responding to special requests with pleasure (an end cut prime rib and asparagus substituted for potatos). The food was served quickly and at the right temperatures. It was a delightful, tasty meal, just what we were looking for. We certainly were there on a good night and would happily return.

1  Thank oompahdave
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We just went for dessert and drinks. It was nice. Food smelled good. Our drinks came out slow so our waiter gave us chips and salsa. They were incredible. Great service. Not a great beer selection but they did have a local microbrew on tap that was okay.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

It is a nice restaurant with a great atmosphere, especially for couples and families. It had a big fireplace in the restaurant. Good for cold days. The service was average, but we went during the off season. Everything arrived on time and food was excellent. It was my husband's birthday and they didn't do a big deal about it, which was a little disappointing. They added sprinkles to the cheesecake we ordered and that was about it. The other patrons were more enthused, wishing him a happy birthday than the servers. Which would be my only complaint. Which isn't awful. I would still highly recommend the restaurant.

1  Thank JPenguin718