“This Visit Okay”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Towns Inn. We had just finished a hike on the C & O Canal and decided to come here for lunch. We had our dog and my husband wanted a beer so we ate on the back patio. West Virginia has a rule against serving beer too close to sidewalks. The patio was a spot between the restaurant and the side of the rock cliff. It was kind of neat. Our waitress was having difficulty keeping up. The waitress at another table was wonderful. My husband thought that his hamburger was alright and my chicken quesadilla was nothing to brag about. We did much better eating here a year ago during a nice day in February. At that time we sat under a heater on the front patio. During that visit our food was very good. We both had fish and chips at that time.

1  Thank Marty1357

Reviewed June 14, 2014

The food was quickly prepared and brought to my table at the edge of the outside patio. The patio fronts High Street, and if you enjoy al fresco dining and people watching, ask to sit outside.

I had a vegetarian burger, which was excellent. The homefries were cooked perfectly, soft in the middle with a hint of a crisp outside. I haven't had iced tea that good in a long while.

Unfortunately, the service left some to be desired. When I arrived, I asked about the day's specials. I had to ask to seat myself as the waitress stayed busy changing the chalk menu board. I had no service for the whole meal, no offer for tea refills. I waited considerable time before anyone brought my check.

The wait staff was courteous, even friendly, but they need to also take care of business.

1  Thank Kelley D
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Anniversary day trip - stopped at Town's Inn - went inside to notify we were on the front patio-told to seat ourself. One other couple seated, another followed. We waited approx 7-10 minutes-saw staff but no one bothered to wait on us - we along with party that came after us left. The remaining party was done and waiting on their check
Must be they do not need the business. Very disappointed.

3  Thank Joannvan
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Myself and a friend were bicycling the C & O Canal Towpath from Cumberland, MD to Washington D.C. and arrived in Harper's Ferry, WV with food and a shower on our mind. We first attempted to get a room in town at a Bed and Breakfast but the rooms were sold out. We than set our sights on food and found ourselves at The Towns Inn. When we arrived I asked the waitress if she knew of any rooms available and it just so happened that the new owners of the Towns Inn purchased a house located beside the restaurant 2 months prior to our arrival and they would be willing to rent it out for the night as a Hostel for $30 a person. The room had 2 bunk beds, a pellet stove (not needed in May) a couch, a common area upstairs with 1 1/2 baths, the stand up shower was tile walls and floor and much nicer than anything you could find anywhere in the country for $30. The beds had clean linens. I was so grateful for the owners hospitality. The food at dinner was also outstanding. I had the rainbow trout (highly recommended) and 2 Cold Trail Ale's. The Ale was a bit expensive at $6 per 18oz glass but when you want a beer you want a beer. The assistant manager Jeff Washington was one of the nicest people we met on our trip, have a couple of lengthy and person conversations with him and felt he was a great person to have at the Inn. They open early (6am) which is nice if you want to get moving early in the morning. I recommend the Biscuit and Sausage Gravy for breakfast. Kept me full almost 3 hours into the the ride.

1  Thank 982Chadg
Reviewed May 24, 2014

OK for lunch, we had dinner there once and I wouldn't go for dinner. Place is nice, service was excellent but food was only OK. It's convenient and right downtown. Good for beer and a sandwich and fries. Place is pretty small and you are very close to others around you. .

1  Thank Ed S