“Third time's a charm...” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Third time's a charm...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Visited Harpers Ferry again today and hiked along the C&O, beautiful weather! I got a late start and didn't feel like cooking dinner so I stopped at Hannah's for takeout. Many of the local restaurants aren't even open on Monday, especially after the tourist season winds down, so I was tickled to see the smoker being tended outside! I took home a slab of ribs falling off the bone and a bbq sandwich, with sides of beans, slaw, fries and green beans. I spent $25 altogether, with enough food for two meals each. Reading the other reviews, I'm surprised at the disappointment. I grew up in Birmingham, AL and I've eaten at all the top bbq restaurants there...Dreamland, Johnny Rays, Carlile's, Jim and Nick's, Costa's, Golden Rule. I've had bbq all over the South... Mississippi, Georgia, Tennesee, Louisiana, North and South Carolina. Hannah's feels like home. I haven't tried the other menu items there, but I guarantee the BBQ is tasty, tangy, and delicious! And the slaw tastes homemade, not like something mass produced! The staff is friendly and they treat you like a local as well. I like it, and will continue to be a failthful patron.
I've tried a lot of the roadside bbq in the area and have found it to be overseasoned and too salty. If any of you folks that don't like Hannah's BBQ have found something better in this area, please let the rest of us know! In the meantime, I'll take my chances at the Depot.

Berryville, Virginia
“Never again, not fresh, overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The ribs are cooked once a week on saturdays. THe smoker out front is a trick to get you in....the server told me so. She and the cook smoked out front while texting. While I was waiting to get a refill and my way overpriced bill. Beans from a can, soda was crap, silverware was plastic, fries were flash fried on a space ship, table about fell over, manager or owner was banging a frame together for the antique collection. Just a mess! Not sure how they stay open. Never again!

Frederick, Maryland
“Mixed Emotions”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a decent experience-not great, not horrible. The price for lunch was a bit high. Their chili dog was yummy (how could that go wrong?), their hush puppies were tasty too. The pulled chicken BBQ sandwich was not good-tasted like canned chicken. Definitely NOT pulled chicken from a smoked chicken.

The waitress was not friendly, seemed as if she had little life to her. The novelty of eating in the train was fun and they have neat knick knacks for sale inside with a funny sign stating something like: We buy junk and sell it as antiques. Our son thought the train as a restaurant was so cool.

We did not like the tv that was tuned to MTv channel. Eating with kids while viewing trash tv was a definite negative. Something viewer neutral (or no tv at all) would have been nice. Why the need for tv in a neat place like that with views to boot, is beyond me.

Would we go back? Possibly.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food, but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had lunch there a few days ago. The pulled chicken bar-b-que was tasty, but nearly $11 was a lot of money for a small sandwich. Also, the vegetable -- just a small side of re-heated canned green beans -- was unimpressive. It's an okay place, but nothing to write home about.

• Visited August 2012
Lovettsville, Virginia
“Would not recommend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I am shocked that this restaurant has such a high rating on tripadvisor. In fact the only reason Im writing now is to knock this rating down a bit so that others aren't tricked into coming here as we were. My friend and I were looking for places to eat and saw that this had a very high rating so we decided to stop in. I ordered ribs with green beans and mac and cheese and she ordered chicken with coleslaw. I have got to say the standards for food quality were impossibly low, especially considering the price. Green beans = from a can, old and mushy. Mac and cheese = coagulated butter. The entire dish hardened into a gel of noodles and off yellow shiny grease. The ribs were NOT bbq'd, but were simply boiled and then smothered in bbq sauce as an after thought. The chicken was also NOT BBQ'd. It was musky and stringy, dumped onto a hamburger bun and dowsed in BBQ sauce. It was MOST unpleasant. I took a sample of my friends dish and immediately spit the meat out into a napkin as it was not evident exactly what had been done to it in order for it to take on SUCH an unpleasant flavor. Such sub par food is way below the price point at which it is being sold ($10.75 for the sandwich and $14-15 for the half rack of ribs). In fact on the way out we both vowed NEVER to come here again, even if it was free and we were starving. We both felt cheated that while this restaurant advertises itself as serving food that is BBQ'd and even has a BBQ in the front, none of the actual food being served is BBQ'd! We all know that simply smothering poorly cooked food in BBQ sauce does not make it BBQ'd. Who are they trying to fool.

• Visited July 2012