“From an off-season researcher.”
Review of Teahorse Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Teahorse Hostel
Ranked #9 of 11 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at the Teahorse for a week in March. Since this is off-season for the Appalachian Trail, there were several nights I had the multi-bunk room to myself. The couple of other guests who stayed were pleasant and fun to talk to. I went to Shepherdstown each day to do research in Robert C. Byrd's papers. Laurel was a great and friendly host, and willing to chat about my research (which of course was just about all I had in my head at the end of the day). The hostel is technically in Bolivar, WV, but just a short hike down the hill to Harpers Ferry attractions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Ultra clean and ultra surprised at my first hostel experience. Laurel was a wonderful hostess , breakfast chef, and new friend. Best value I could ever imagine.I will return and send my friends. The breakfast was waffles and fruit and ready as soon as I got up.The computer available for guests was great for keeping up with friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Can’t say enough good things about Laurel’s place. She is a marvelous hostess and runs a great establishment. A welcome oasis along the Appalachian Trail, just off the trail in town, close to amenities, and just plain outstanding. Bunk rooms are clean, well outfitted lounge, Wi-Fi access, and plenty of hot water in the shower! You got to love this place after weeks out on the Appalachian Trail.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm shocked to read about people finding Laurel to be cold and unwelcoming, it makes me think that they were unwilling to start a real conversation with her. Not only was Laurel (the owner of the Teahorse) accommodating and polite with us, 2 muddy bikers who showed up without reservations late in the evening, but she spent her morning chatting with us, and made my boyfriend and I fresh waffles even though there were enough left over from the group that ate about 20 minutes before us, just so that ours would be fresh. She shared so many insights about the trail and Harper's Ferry-we could have spent the whole day picking her brain! Of course the Teahorse is a hostel, and you wash your dishes, but that's normal. And this was the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in by far. I would highly recommend the Teahorse to anyone passing through Harper's Ferry who is not interested in paying ridiculous tourist prices for a place to stay. I will definitely be back. The only downside is that it is wayyy up the hill from the bridge from the trail, but that made the morning ride back especially fun.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shelby P
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased with my stay at Teahorse Hostel. The proprietor, Laurel, was prompt with answering the phone and responding to email when I booked beforehand.

The hostel is easy to miss because the sign isn't very big. That said, once you do find it, life is good: the hostel is clean, they accept credit cards, there are laundry facilities downstairs, rooms are spacious and adequately outfitted with power points, breakfast is good... The list goes on.

To contribute to the "warm welcome" debate, I think Laurel does a fantastic job of making her guests feel welcomed in her own, quiet way. She took pains to made sure I had everything I needed, that I knew where everything was, and was helpful in suggesting things to do.

If you're staying in Harper's Ferry, I highly recommend Teahorse hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have read the couple of comments about a 'cold' welcome. Not the Tea Horse Hostel, I know. Two of us stayed here, Easter 2012, when the Town Mill Hotel was full. We turned up at the door and were made very welcome. The owner made us tea and the next morning came up to our room to cook us a wonderful breakfast, including waffles. Yummy.

Sad, to only stay one night. Couldn't wait to return. Shall be returning for two nights with a different friend in October.2013.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You're just a number here at the Teahorse Hostel. The guests that stay here are super sweet and devoted hikers but don't expect a warm welcome from the owner. I arrived at the hostel hot and tired and was disappointed with the welcome I received. I paid for my two night stay was given the combination number for the bunk room upstairs and that was it. Sharing a coed ten bunk room wasn't easy but I must say everyone was really nice about shutting the lights off and going to sleep at a decent hour. The waffle breakfast served in the morning is a terrific. I was able to enjoy plenty of waffles with fresh blueberries and strawberries that kept me filled for most of the day. You can hang your clothes out to dry on the clothes line and there's a picnic table as well as Adirondack chairs for lounging around. It's very relaxing to sit outside and enjoy the serenity of the area. The Teahorse is in a pretty residential area with a nearby park and an excellent 7/11 shop. Also close by is the historic battlefield. If you're on a budget the Teahorse B & B Hostel is a good value but if you're looking for charm and privacy head to a traditional bed and breakfast instead.The best part about staying here was meeting so many exceptional hikers that shared their Appalachian Trail hiking experience with me. I was very inspired by them and wish them all a successful 2,000 journey on the Appalachian Trail.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank adrianna24sings
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

When the hostel is full, it is difficult to offer personal attention to each guest. I am sorry you were disappointed.