“Deliciously different”

Bisou Bistro at The Canal House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located in a charming 1790's stone house in historic Harpers Ferry-Bolivar, Our Menu is seasonally changed to offer classic New Orleans Cajun & Creole French cuisine. We focus on, fresh, delicious, local food in a friendly and casual atmosphere. While holding true to our South Louisiana Heritage, we also have developed gluten free and allergy sensitive versions of most items. Owner & Executive Chef Kevin Plunkett, a New Orleans Native and Classically trained French Chef, is passionate about sustainability and supporting local producers whenever possible. Together with his wife Amanda, they have made a commitment to transform a little slice of West Virginia into Cajun Country with a dash of South Louisiana Hospitality and traditional New Orleans fare.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Menu is a little limited, but the quality, staff, and ambiance more than make up for it. The waitress was warm, efficient, and friendly. Fresh, locally grown and organic ingredients make for a wonderful difference. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Treat yourself. Eat here.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

No doubt a delightful cafe on the right night; unfortunately not on ours. We chose to sit outside as it was a nice evening only to be surprised as the evening grew darker that the torches weren't lit and our request for a candle was met with...we're a bit short of candles tonight. If that's the case, just say so upfront or apologize or seek some accommodation.
Food was interesting but marred by the service which was clearly stretched beyond capabilities.

Unfortunately disappointed!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We truly enjoyed this restaurant. Local tomatoes and fresh mozzarella made into a delicious caprese. Fabulous sandwiches made with fresh baked bread. The sandwiches were a little slow to come out because the bread was still being baked! How fantastic! If you like good food, that is a great reason for your meal to take a little longer to prepare!

This is a smaller place, and they do get overwhelmed quickly. This is probably not a "quick" meal, but well worth the trip. There is street parking near the restaurant. We walked from downtown Harper's Ferry (about 3/4 of a mile). If you plan your trip well, you can follow the street across from the restaurant and meet back up with the main trail onto Virginius Island near 340.

1  Thank MBMBtravel
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Enjoyable. Relaxing. Pleasant. And, we hadn't even ordered yet. The zucchini fritters with horseradish sauce was just enough. I enjoyed the spinach salad with red and green tomatoes, crisp bacon, and hard boiled egg. My husband enjoyed the kale salad with feta cheese and cranberries. Dessert was peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Just delightful. We complimented the chef for a most delightful meal.

1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I first went to the Canal House a couple of years ago on the recommendation of the folks at the ATC after a hike, and I've returned to this restaurant each time I've been back to the town since. I also make sure to recommend this restaurant to anyone I know that is visiting Harpers Ferry. This is a much better option than the tourist trap restaurants on High and Potomac for the local feel, excellent food, friendly staff, and great space.

The menu focuses on fresh ingredients that are available at the time, so you don't need to wade through dozens of run-of-the-mill options. The food is delicious and often unique, and the prices are very reasonable.

The menu changes enough that I won't recommend anything specific, but I've never had anything at Canal House that I didn't like. I will say, though, that the house-made focaccia bread is amazing.

The service has always been excellent for me, and I really appreciate the availability of outdoor seating when it is nice out.