Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Reviewed 6 days ago
swordsman1976
Virginia Beach, Virginia

1,755 results
All reviews visitor center civil war lower town appalachian trail maryland heights shops and restaurants day trip the river great place to visit jefferson rock historic area small town across the bridge john brown's raid beautiful scenery free shuttle storer college
Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

I always wanted to visit this park especially during the fall season. My wife and I went 10/28-29/18, and the leaves are not on it's peak yet but nonetheless a wonderful place to be. Set aside atleast 2 days for sightseeing. Spend day 1 around Harpers Ferry lower town and day 2 to hike the AT foot bridge to Maryland to hike Maryland Heights Outlook. Dine in Potomac Grill. And, coffee at Battleground Coffee. Don't forget to visit Appalachian Trail Conservancy on your way out of Harpers Ferry on day 2. And, just a few hundred meters away from the AT Conservancy is a simple but really good Italian restaurant Mena. We stayed at Martinsburg, Comfort Inn, nice clean hotel, free breakfast-- value for money. To anyone planning to visit Harpers Ferry for leaf peeping, peak color change I'd estimate would be on the 1st-2nd week of November for 2018. Enjoy!

2  Thank Jeano B
Reviewed 6 days ago

I stayed at a hotel in Harpers Ferry to visit nearby Antietam, and realized I was only 0.6 miles away from this park. I devoted a whole day to this and I was glad I did. I visited in October 2018, with the fall colors really started to take hold. Even if you don't like history as I do, there is a lot explore. This is where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet, along with West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland. The town itself is very well preserved and there are plenty of small shops and restaurants to patronize. There is a shuttle bus that will take you from the main park entrance down to the town so you don't have to worry about parking. There is a lot of walking up and down hills and steep stairs in town, so be advised. That being said, if you're willing to walk/hike, there are some spectacular views to be seen and history to learn!

1  Thank swordsman1976
Reviewed 1 week ago

Went here with big family group. Some did tubing on the nearby river, others took in the scenery and historic sights. If you like history, an interesting stop.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The historical site consists of a number of buildings furnished from the civil war time period. One can enter in and look around—mostly visuals, not too many interactive exhibits. We first parked at the official off-site national historical park from where they bus you to town. Since it was off-season and raining we decided to drive back to town and found a parking place at the train station. This would not be possible on a busy day. Town has cute shops.

2  Thank Windowtotheworld
Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a few hours in the afternoon for a visit to the park, and loved it. We took the shuttle down, walked all around the village, visited the buildings, went down to the river, and walked over the bridge. The displays in the historic buildings are well done. And it's really nice walking around down by the river and bridge. A nice stop.

1  Thank swearengen
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Parking can be a problem in Harper's Ferry. It was very convenient for us to go the the National Historical Park. They have shuttle buses running into town every few minutes. It's a super easy way to get to the historical part of town.

2  Thank Marathoner02
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The entrance fee is worth the visit, if you plan to spend hours in the park. The historic placards are interesting, and the view of the water is nice. Great for those interested in history.

1  Thank MeraKi25
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We traveled here in October when the weather was cooler and the crowds thinner. Very quaint and historical. Several good restaurants in town and nearby. Limited parking at the old train station. In the busy season you should go to the visitors center about 0.7 miles away and take the bus into town. A "must see" for civil war buffs. Lots of local hiking trails and it's also on the Appalachian Trail. Allow several hours to see everything but more if you plan to do some local hiking.

2  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

very interesting to see things that were there so long ago. After you pay park entrance fee It is free so great for families on a budget. Lots of small museums that explain what occurred. Our 10 year old loved it. Park rangers very knowledgable.

1  Thank 106janaj
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I LOVED Harper's Ferry. We kept sayin that we couldn't believe we had never gone there before. Very cute town. Unfortunately, the bridge was closed when we went, but it was still a great trip. Very cool just to walk around the town. Advise: USE THE FREE BUS SHUTTLE!

3  Thank Lois A