“Bringing History Alive”

O' Be Joyfull Historical Tours & Entertainment
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Harpers Ferry
More attraction details
Owner description: O Be Joyfull offers historical tours of Harpers Ferry and historical concerts featuring music from the Civil War and from the Irish. Tours and concerts are entertaining, educational and fun!
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Before our three-hour afternoon tour with Rick we had spent several hours walking through various buildings and exhibits throughout Harpers Ferry -- and there are a few! I wondered how much of an overlap there would be. Hardly any, it turned out, because Rick's wealth of knowledge just deepened things we had seen, making them more interesting, more contextual, richer. He is a gem, a tour guide extraordinaire.

2  Thank 24theroadoflife
"tale"
in 4 reviews
"interpretation"

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of four and our two kids are ages 6 and 8. They sat front and center during all the stories and had a blast! Heed the warnings about the lack of restrooms, though. Harpers Ferry is pretty much shut down after 7pm (and we went on a Friday night).

3  Thank Juan N
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Rick is the best tour guide I have ever heard at any attraction I've ever been to ( I've been to many places around the world). He is very knowledgeable, makes the local history come alive and puts it into meaningful perspectivre from regional, national and international perspectives. He guides to the best vantage points. His narrative is, well, a joy. I don't think he charges enough for his expertise.

1  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Rick,
We planned a weekend trip with friends from Las Vegas October 12th and 13th to Gettysburg, Frederick, and Harper's Ferry. Though the government closed federal property the Gettysburg bus tour was good, the Frederick ghost tour was okay, and your Harper's Ferry tour was awesome! We all had a great experience.

Thank you for taking the time to share details from your research. Your book of pictures helped us visualize the town as it was 150 years ago. Your stories and personal accounts of events brought life to the town's past.

You are a passionate historian and contageous in a good way. Thanks for the recommened reading list.

We will return next spring for your ghost tour. I'll need a beverage at the Secret Six afterwards.

2013 - Tony & Sue - Beltsville, MD

1  Thank Tony B
See more reviews
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our 10 men church group drove 8 hours from Kentucky and I am so glad that we hired Rick Garland for our guide. All my life I have gone places and merely read the placards at sites. Wow what a difference Rick made on the 4our hour tour. He included us by asking us ?'s to make us think and so on. He sang to make points,etc. The absolute best $ that I have ever spent as an adult on such a trip ! I so wish that I had more time to describe his tour ! We arranged for him to meet us at our motel,which he did and was prompt in doing so. He was so accommodating to our group,as some were advanced in age and could not walk as much and as well as others,so he shifted on the run to fit the needs of our group. I was in the Army years ago and I could not help but notice his common sense about adjusting to some of these problems in very little time with the best results for our group. As we had to rush him on his presentation because we had an 8 hour trip to get underway after our 3 1/2 hours of touring,he was still willing and wanting to teach and SHARE his knowledge of the ACTUAL history and not just what the books have told over the years,as I as an adult know a lot of ACTUAL history has been left out or only been told from one prospective. Best tour guide I have ever heard or imagined !

2  Thank DanLCarr