“Great place”
Review of The Town's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
The Town's Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Orinda, California
“Great place”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Inn is a classic bed and breakfast and a lot of thought and care went into rendering a very old historic building into accommodations that are comfortable and well executed. We stayed in the Appalachian room which had a gorgeous private bathroom (green slate shower) and the room was immaculate with a double bed with nice linens and very sweet with a fireplace and two sitting chairs. Given how old the building it is - it is on the smaller side- but we were comfortable. The 3rd floor has a library of a range of books - nothing contemporary - but some English anthologies and some Christian literature. This is where the Shenandoah room is and appointed with bunk beds which were occupied by 4 young women who seemed pleased. The restaurant seems to be a separate business and it is true that breakfast is not included. Nonetheless it is right in the center of lower town and is central to the train station and other restaurants. Staff are very friendly!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thgmhg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and i just got home from a 2 night stay at The Town's Inn and really enjoyed it, We were celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary. We don't get away very often and this was perfect for our needs. The location was perfect and the service was great. We ate a few meals there and loved it, especially breakfast. Karen and her staff work very hard to make everything right. Parking is a pain in the you-know-what, but that's a function of the location. We love Harpers Ferry and staying at The Town's Inn is a perfect way to see it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom W
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stopped at the Town's Inn after bicycling from D.C. along the C&O canal. The staff was very welcoming and our meal was delicious. The inn was a charming place to relax before we continued on to our campsite. I would book a room here if I were to do the long distance ride again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie B
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was the first time my husband and I stayed at an inn like this. The location is perfect, and centrally located to explore the remaining historical buildings within the park. You can tell that the innkeeper, Karen, is personally involved in maintaining the inn, supporting the sorrounding businesses, and the maintaining the historical integrity of Harper's Ferry. Our bedroom, the Appalachian Room was cozy and sweet. I loved the large, step-in shower!!
Her manager and assistant manager, created a wonderful evening ambience for my husband and I at the inn's courtyard. (They could use some more plants) Our candle lit supper was made with locally prepared meats, fresh vegetables and fruits. The portions were good and tasted delicious. Thank you for making our stay there wonderful!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mdm.Bovary
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed at the Town's Inn from July 26, 2013 - July 28, 2013 in the Shenadoah room on the third floor. I travel for a living each week and have stayed all over the country; this trip was a personal trip and I was not disappointed. The Inn is situated in the perfect spot of the historical village. Everyone was friendly and welcoming! The Inn doesn't have parking in front of the inn but people have to remember that this is a historical town and the Inn was built in 1840. There is parking down the street and this is where all the parking is regardless of where you stay. The parking is not far away and the staff members helped us with our bags. The Inn is beautiful and the hardwood is wonderful and is from 1850! It was a great experience to stay at the Inn. The Inn serves breakfast lunch and dinner from 6AM - 10PM. We ate there for breakfast and had appetizers there which were both delicious. I would highly recommend this stay to anyone looking for a quaint stay with historical significance with a prime location in Harpers Ferry. The Inn is within walking distance from everything in the town.

Other places recomended during your stay at Harpers Ferry include:
-Ghost Tour (starts at St. Peter's Church which is walking distance from the Inn)
-Horseback riding at Elk Mountain Trails (about 15 minutes away)
-VIVO hair and day spa-- EXCELLENT and highly recommended (5-7 minutes from the Inn)
-Grandale Farm Restaurant (15 minutes away and has dinner and wine tasting since its located on a vineyard)
-Private Quinn's Pub (great for lunch located within walking distance from the Inn)
-Coach House Grill (within walking distance from the Inn)

Overall great experience and we will definitely come back :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Stephanie H
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2013

NOTE: If you are looking to experience the history of Harper's Ferry and appreciate the quirky charm and uniqueness of an old architectural gem, THIS IS THE PLACE. If you are looking for typical hotel amenities and service, look outside of Harper's Ferry. This is run like a European B & B -- it is a casual, familial atmosphere. Our stay was lovely, we enjoyed the sense of history and the views were beautiful. The staff was very helpful whenever we needed anything. They were not hard to find -- the inn is small, head towards the kitchen! It feels more like being a guest in someone's home -- absolutely charming. Yes, there is no close parking (not the fault of the inn, but the town planners back in 1840!). Yes, its on a steep hill (that part of town rests above the meeting of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers). This is history and the inn does a wonderful job preserving it. We stayed in the Shenandoah room way up at the top. There is no elevator and the stairways are narrow -- we expected that (1840, remember?) The door was short (as people were back then) but the ceilings were tall and there were two beautiful windows at either end, providing views of both the town and the garden. It has a spacious lounge area adjacent to the room. Our updated, private bathroom was on the floor below but robes are provided and, as mentioned, it is a small inn so we rarely ran into other guests. Everything was clean, comfortable and friendly. This place (and historic Harper's Ferry) is about experiencing history (albeit much more comfortably than they lived 150 years ago). Marvel at the 2 foot thick stone walls. Immerse yourself in its ideally preserved location -- you are staying in a national park! Relax with a snack in the back garden and chat with hikers from all over the world coming off the Appalachian Trail. Walk out the door and back in time. But please don't compare it to a chain hotel or modernized "faux-historical" B&B. It is an absolutely, perfectly lovely piece of history just the way it is and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms in the inn are all very different so be sure to read the descriptions on the site or ask t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gottabekate
Virgnia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I had huge hopes for our first anniversary stay at the Town's Inn in Harper's Ferry. When we pulled into Harper's Ferry, we realized how beautiful the town was and were excited for our 2 night stay in the quaint, historic town. We would soon find our excitement shortlived for our stay at the Town's Inn. We walked inside to check in, and had to flag down a waiter to ask what we were supposed to do to check in, as there is no desk or check in area - you literally walk into a the Inn's restaurant. The waiter handed us an envelope and little did we know the wrong key (handed us the bathroom key and no room key) and couldn't answer a lot of the questions I asked. We were there a little early before we could get into our room, so we went and explored the town. When it was time to check in, I had to pull over in the middle of a street and unload the car as there is nowhere to unload your car at the inn. So I had to drop off my pregnant wife and all of our luggage on the side of the road and go park to the reserved $10 parking spot I rented from Karan. The spot is way out of the way and uphill on the walk back to the Inn, and with a few more bags of luggage it was a walk uphill in the crazy heat that was miserable. My pregnant wife attempted to carry some bags up the steep steep stairs (which are literally right in the kitchen of the restaurant) and she tripped on the short, steep steps almost falling on her belly - which scared her to death. The steps even for me were steep and short and I tripped while carrying bags up the steps. If you are pregnant or elderly, you will absolutely have problems with these steps and there is no warning anywhere about the steepness and short steps anywhere to be found for a head's up. We were staying in the Potomac Room which is right at the top of the stairs and got into our bedroom luckily because the door was open (which was kind of weird), but lucky for us because all we were given was the bathroom key. Once into the room we were extremely disappointed, it was dirty, absolutely 100% different looking than the picture on the website and there were a full armoire of old clothes which we could not use to store any clothes we had brought. We were extremely disappointed with the room and seriously contemplated leaving that night due to our dissatisfaction of the room. For the luxury and historic stay that emanated from the description on the website, the $120 a night fee was outrageous. It was maybe a $50 a night place, and would be luxurious for a hiker coming off the Appalachian Trail for a night's sleep in a bed, but other than that it was extremely extremely disappointed. Since it was later in the evening when we got in the room, we decided to stay the night and leave the next morning even though we had planned for a 2-night's stay. There was no way we were staying the second day. So we told Karan we had to leave for business purposes, because we did not want to hurt her feelings by telling her we were sooo disappointed, because she seemed like a nice lady, but we were not offered any leeway with a small cancellation fee or anything like that. She told us we there was nothing she could do, but she offered us 50% off breakfast (which was worthless to us because we didn't eat there once and were leaving early in the AM and weren't going to eat there). I wonder we were straight up with her if she would've given us a break for the room because of dissatisfaction, but I highly doubt it, from her response that there is nothing she can do if you have to leave early (as the owner of the place, you have all the power in the world to do whatever you want for your customers, but what can you do). Anyways, we would not recommend this Inn to anyone unless you mind all of the things I've just explained. There's no way it's worth $120 a night and we are still upset that it put a huge damper on our first wedding anniversary getaway. It's up to you to decide if this place is for you, but for us, it totally wasn't.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Chase W
karantownsend, Owner at The Town's Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I regret that this couple was not happy and that they chose not to mention any of their concerns to me. My response to each of the guests' complaints provides context and information that i hope readers will find helpful.

No check-in area:
The entrance to the Inn ( which was built in 1840 as a residence ) consists of a 50 SF foyer with a door to the dining room on the left and a door to my 100 SF living quarters on the right, with no space for a separate check in area

Waiter could not answer questions:
I can’t respond to the complaint that the waiter could not answer questions because I don’t know what questions were asked --- but I do know that the 10 people on staff are well-trained and that we work together to make sure all of the tasks are done well. My 3 year-round employees have been here a couple of years, and I live in the Inn --- so I don’t understand why the guests couldn’t get their questions answered.

Key missing from key chain:
The key chains consist of both a room key and bathroom key --- and I guess the room key had fallen off or been removed.

No parking in front of the Inn:
The Inn is literally located “between a rock [mountain] and a river” in the middle of a living history village with a 2-lane main street that allows no parking. All parking for both residents and visitors is along the Potomac River, 1 block from the Inn

Steep steps:
I regret the inconvenience of these steps, but they seem appropriate for the building and have been traversed for almost 175 years by pregnant ladies and elderly people ( which includes me since I’m a senior citizen :)

Dirty:
My housekeepers have been doing professional housework for decades, so I doubt that the room was dirty --- but if it had been dirty, the guest should have informed me immediately ( which would be easy to do since I live on the premises ).

Furniture changed:
The full-size bunk beds that are pictured on the website have been replaced with a beautiful brass queen-size bed and a brass day bed. The armoire is private and contains my clothes. The room has 12 hooks, old-fashioned baskets, and luggage stands for guests’ clothing.

$120 price for room:
This large ( half of the 2nd floor ), care-fully furnished room located in the middle of the living history village in an 1840 house is relatively inexpensive compared to the other lodging in Town and the highway hotels, such as the EconoLodge ($120/night) and Quality Inn ($160/night)

Cancellation of 2nd night:
These guests never gave any indication to my staff or me that they were dissatisfied with the room. I don’t know of any lodging establishment that does not charge a cancellation when the cancellation is made at the last minute due to “business responsibilities” --- and I do know that I turned away dozens of requests for the room after I took it off the market for these guests.

We work hard to make the Inn a clean, comfortable, cozy, pleasant place where guests are greeted by the fragrance of home-cooked meals fresh from the kitchen, my friendly staff, and me --- but it is an 1840 home ( renovated in 2007 ) in the middle of a geographically and historically living history village --- so it's not for everyone.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harpers Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Lily Garden Bed & Breakfast
Lily Garden Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 11 in Harpers Ferry

Been to The Town's Inn? Share your experiences!