“Older Property- no bells or whistles”

Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Harpers Ferry
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I stayed here for work, and chose the hotel based on my generally high opinion of Comfort Inns. I was shocked when I arrived. The hotel has a nice staff but as the kind desk clerk admitted, "this is one of Comfort inn's older properties." The building is frankly depressing- inside and out. There is no work-out room, the carpets are dingy, and rooms in the two story structure face either a busy road, or a parking lot. The room was old and didn't feel clean- It wasn't that they were obviously dirty but the carpets, linens, furnishings were just sort of gross. The bathroom was clean and everything worked fine, but I couldn't wait to get out of the room.

This Comfort Inn isn't really in Harper's Ferry proper, but the walk into town is only about fifteen minutes. The breakfast is standard Comfort Inn- so not bad, but in a very cramped room. In retrospect I should have chosen the Quality Inn, which has a gym, pool, and grounds that you can at least walk around.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Really welcoming hotel. Clean and comfortable. Wxcellent base for harper's ferry. Sad that I had only booked one night. We will definitely be back. Special mention - lovely ladies on reception and in tavern.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We've stayed here in the past. It's the closest motel to Harpers Ferry - just a mile from the park and visitor's center. Close enough to walk into town if you don't mind a moderate walk (through Bolivar.)
It's nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and the staff is very helpful. We traveled with our 21month old son and they provided us with a pack 'n play for a crib at no extra charge. The rooms seem well insulated (no hallway or neighbor noise at all.) The breakfast offers many choices for a continental - bagels, fruit, sausage gravy and biscuits and yummy make-your own waffles.
It is what it is - a decent room for the night for a good price - its not a resort or a 5-star place but it doesn't fly that flag. It's a Comfort Inn. I recommend it to anyone I know heading to Harpers Ferry.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Our check in was fast and our room was very clean and quiet. Breakfast was just fine (cereal, waffles, fruit, etc. - I guess if you expect more, you should consider going to a restaurant, unless you just like to complain).

The hotel is fairly close to Harpers Ferry (you can park your car at the hotel and walk there in 20 minutes or so). Also, within walking distance (5-10 minutes is a restaurant and a pizza/pasta house).

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We booked this Comfort Inn because we really could not find too many other area hotels. The room was pretty dirty - unvacumed toe nail clippings next to the bed... The air conditioner was noisy and the bathroom tiny. The complimentary breakfast was some cereal, a couple of bagels and some decent waffles. But a couple of waffles did not make up for the filthy hotel room. Next time, I;ll head to the Quality Inn down the highway!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
sanfa, Manager at Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2008

Dear Travelboy90,

We are sorry that you found your room unacceptible. If you had spoken to our front desk, we would've been happy to make a room change for you.

We wanted to let you know that since your review, the past several weeks our staff has taken extra measures to improve housekeeping procedures, perform deep cleaning and improve overall room condition.

We continually strive to make improvements so that our hotel guests are comfortable. Y.L., Management

Reviewed May 23, 2008

The only reason we stayed here was because it was late, pouring rain & this is the only hotel in the area that would accept our dog. It was the worst stay I have ever had- so scared we slept with a gun by the bed (traveling with an off-duty police officer) & I slept very little. If we had seen the outside in the daylight we would not have stayed here- it was disgusting & scary! We broke up what looked like a drug deal in the back, while walking the dog, there is an abandoned old building back off the parking lot. The window was open (on the ground floor room) when I went in & when I went to close it - it felt like it was going to fall out. The whole picture window was loose. The view out our window in the morning was of the abandoned pool- with old paint buckets & trees growing up through it. The whole hotel looks like it is falling apart with cracks in the concrete & steps falling apart. I went for coffee in the morning at the continental breakfast & the only thing I could stomach was a cup of coffee, but ended up throwing away the cup before I took a sip- disgusted with the thought of drinking anything from this dirty, disgusting place. Can't believe I paid money for this stay. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in... unbleivable it has the Comfort Inn name on it! Unless there is new management & major upgrades- avoid this hotel like the plague! Yuck!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank ChihuahuaMom
yclin2, Manager at Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2008

I believe the 5/23 review by ChihuahuaMom was mistaken for another Hotel in the nearby area that does have a pool, allows pets and has abandoned building nearby.

Please note that our hotel does NOT allow pets (clearly stated on the front door) and we do NOT have a pool on the premises nor an abandoned building (there is a gazebo nearby)

Our small 50 unit hotel prides itself on great customer service. We have a wonderful staff that really cares about pleasing our customers. Please check our other reviews and you will see why the Comfort Inn in Harpers Ferry is a great place to stay.

Thank you, Y. Lin, Management

Reviewed October 15, 2007

First upon arival I was already scared. When we walked in it was just disgusting, you could just tell there was no regular maintenance or cleaning done in the the hallways and at the desk. Before we checked in we asked if we could see our room when we were shown the room I was in horror. The bathrooms were disgusting, the floors were dirty and instead of two queen beds we were given two twins. Unfortunately we already made a reservation prior, that we couldn't get out of so we ended up paying for the room, but staying the night at the Cliffside Inn & Conference Center just a half a mile up the road. The rooms were much cleaner.

Stayed: July 2007
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#3 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Holiday Inn Express Charles Town

Been to Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry? Share your experiences!