One wouldn't necessarily think "Econo Lodge!" for a romantic getaway, but I'll say: it certainly did the job for me and my wife recently. Making spur of the moment plans for a weekend get away to Harper's Ferry ruled out any classy B&B (which would have to be booked well in advance) and AirBnB (which didn't have any good local options).
So why was the Econo Lodge great?
-Location is less than a mile from the center of Harper's Ferry (the ONLY hotel this close). You can walk into town either along Shenandoah Street or the Appalachian Trail. Both are scenic.
-Breakfast is a definite step above the usual carb-loaded continental fare at most bottom-tier chains. The food options weren't quite as large and diverse as you'd get at a Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites, but you at least get some protein (Eggs, sausage, yogurt) and there are several nice touches (like biscuits and gravy. Mmm...!).
-Updated rooms. The furnishings and bathroom had clearly been redone within the last few years and looked just as nice as ones you'd find in newer 2.5 or 3-star hotels. We watched a couple World Cup matches on the large flat-screen TV when we weren't out exploring and were more than happy to stay in and relax.
-Fridge and microwave in the room! Dining around Harper's Ferry is generally unimpressive, so being able to keep and reheat your own food from elsewhere is a plus.
-Reliable and sufficiently fast Wi-Fi. (Especially nice since the cell network is spotty in the area, but we had no trouble using Wi-FI calling.)
-Somewhat scenic view over the river and nice grounds with a gazebo, etc.
Sure, there were a few strange things - like one morning they put out completely green bananas (which wouldn't have been ripe & edible for a week), and the switch nearest the door in our room controlled an outlet to which the alarm clock was plugged in (so we had to reset it after accidentally shutting it off once). But whatever. Grab a different piece of fruit from the basket, avoid flipping that switch and move on with life. We're not high maintenance people and neither were most others who were there for the history, nature or who had come in from the Appalachian or C&O Canal trails. For the price, location and amenities? The value is great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are the closest hotel to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park near historic Harpers Ferry and just minutes from Hollywood Casino Charles Town. Whether you are looking to explore our country's history, enjoy the natural beauty of the mountains, or checking out the gaming and horse-racing action in Charles Town, the Econo Lodge is the perfect place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Choice Hotels, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry Hotel Harpers Ferry
- Comfort Inn Harpers Ferry
- Harpers Ferry Comfort Inn