“Heather is the best Desk Clerk” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry

Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Harpers Ferry
Jamestown, New York
“Heather is the best Desk Clerk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My Time was very good
the Desk Clerk Heather Was wonderful
She made sure we could find places we were looking for and offered places to eat and helped my wife and I in any way she could Our room was clean and taken care of nicely

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bulldragon13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were passing through and stopped there fairly late in the evening. Young man on the front desk was frlendly and helpful. Room had everything needed and was well looked after. Young lady on the desk the next morning was equally as helpful and the breakfast did the job. Very happy with the one night stay.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor - I don't think they have an elevator to the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gonefishingx
Marysville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you are biking on the C & O Canal be sure to ask for a first floor room. Although they claim to be bike friendly, they don't offer anyplace to store your bike that is accessible except your room.

The rooms at the motel were decent and the breakfast was good.

Unfortunately, the motel isn't located near any place to eat and after a day of biking that was important to us. If you have a car it's a non-issue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank jglenn6874
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Harpers Ferry has had more than its share of hard times over the decades, but this fact has resulted in a bounty for visitors today. Because modernization -- ie, tearing down old buildings -- was slow to arrive here, there are dozens of historic buildings in the town. The violence that took place here has not been ignored, meaning you'll find history around many corners. The combination of lack of "progress" and historical preservation means natural beauty is easy to find in the area -- you can cross a highway bridge and see more green than buildings. And because the nature was never fully "tamed," recreational opportunities abound -- hiking, rafting, zip-lines, kayaking, biking, and tubing are easy to enjoy. Because visitors have a lot of reasons to come here, you'll have many choices on where to stay -- within the town itself or in nearby Charles Town. This Econo Lodge (formerly a Comfort Inn) is a good mix of value, comfort, being close to the city, and easy access to the main highway.

Stayed here primarily due to it being literally within sight of the Appalachian Trail. That it was also right off U.S. Highway 340, just beyond the bridge over the Potomac, was a bit of a bonus. However, this location is still just under a mile from the historic district, and about five miles to services in Charles Town. In other words, right on a major highway but not adjacent to anything.

Our room had full bath (a bit crowded), AC, fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron & board, coffee maker, and TV with 32 channels. It was clean, quiet, and well-maintained. Staff was professional and friendly. Free amenities include parking, wi-fi, local calls, hot breakfast buffet, and PC with printer in the lobby. The motel has two floors but no elevator, which may be a problem. Room doors can only be accessed from the inside, and the desk at the front door seems to be staffed at all hours. We did note that our door did not shut unless you pull on it, which could be a problem if you are in a hurry to get somewhere.

This a motel centered on value for visitors, not necessarily charm or beauty or romance. For a place to stay while visiting here for a few days, it may well meet your needs at a good price.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you don't want to take luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RabePaul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Great motel. Everything was clean and the bathrooms were pretty new. The staff were very friendly and accommodating of the various dirty appalachian trail hikers and long route bikers that we saw checking in. Can't beat the location being just a short drive or walk from historic harpers ferry and the at trail head.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Ausasaurus
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My son was ending his hike of the AT at Harper's Ferry (HF), WV because he ran out of money so I decided to hike with him the last 56 miles or so, so that I could be with him when he reached the "1000 Mile" marker. Our last day into HF (July 4th), after spending the night at a hostel, we had a 22 miles hike. At ~18 miles my son's feet started burning bad. He couldn't understand why because he had hiked over 1000 miles with no major feet issues, and his last day they were burning. We finally got into HP and did not know where we could stay. We called several hostels & B & Bs but they were either full or they were to far for my son to walk. I found out there was an Econo Lodge and I called them. They were very nice and had a room but I explained to them we couldn't walk there because of my son's feet, and after putting me on hold, he came back and said he had talked to his manager and she was coming to pick us up at the train station. This was ~ 9:15pm on July 4th. We walked a block to the train station and in minutes, Yin drove up in her personal vehicle, and though we were dirty & stinky after hiking 22 miles in the heat, she brought us to the hotel. They were wonderful and the rooms were great, with the best beds I've ever slept on (They had recently replaced them and are top quality!). I found out later that YIN (manager) is normally gone by 6pm after working a long day and yet, for whatever reason, she was held up going home, and then she sacrificed another 1.5 hours before heading home to make sure we were taken care of. The morning breakfast was great too with more than I expected. All the staff was very nice and was focused on customer service. It is a stay that I will always remember and appreciate and if I ever return to Harper's Ferry, there's no question where I will stay. Thank You HP Econo Lodge !!!! You did great ! Oh yeah, it turned out, my son had an allergic reaction to the fabric softener, (when we did our laundry) at the Hostel the night before…

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Rick T
Aldie, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel doesn't look like much from the outside, but our room was great! Very clean and comfortable. The mattresses are on the hard side, which I like (but not my wife's favorite). As other reviewers have noted...the bathrooms are small, much smaller than at most hotels, but still clean and bright. They do have a very good hot breakfast in the morning, you can make your own waffles even! The breakfast room is pretty much the size of one of the hotel rooms, so there are only a few tables so you might have to take your food back to your room if its crowded. Overall it was a great value for the price. I called the hotel directly the night before we arrived, and they gave me an even lower rate than anything I could find on the internet. I think we saved about $30/night over the Quality Inn which is about a mile away (our other option we were looking at). I didn't use it, but they have a computer in the lobby which I believe you could use if you needed to, plus a fax machine. If you're just looking for a nice hotel to come back and crash in at night, this place is perfect. There's no pool or other amenities so not much to do in the evening if you go back to your room much before bedtime.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have a lot of stuff or difficulty with stairs, request a first floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
4.0 of 5 stars 75 reviews

Been to Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry? Share your experiences!