“Expected much better for this price!”

Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Harpers Ferry
West Virginia
“Expected much better for this price!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

First, our room had an odd smell. We couldn't figure out what it was, but it may have been some sort of cleaner or attempt to cover another odor. Either way, it was not pleasant. The bathroom door was so warped that we couldn't even close it. Even though we were in non smoking area, the hallways had a smokey smell. When we got to breakfast, they were out of eggs and meat and we had completely finished before they refilled them. Vending machines only had a few drinks. No snacks any where we could find. Bar area was nice and drinks reasonably priced. But the karokee was so loud we could barely converse with friends who we met there. This is what I would have expected from a motel of half this price maybe. But for what they charge.. this was totally unacceptable.

Room Tip: Maybe try the new Holiday Inn Express or Hampton in Charles Town, WV.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank gmace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Here as part of a Civil War Battlefields tour. OK to stay for one night. A motel type hotel. There is a Tavern restaurant (like a bar) and a Gourmet restaurant. We were staying in mid-week and the Gourmet restaurant only opens on Fridays and Saturdays so we lost out. However, the meal in the Tavern was extremely nice and very big. I had salmon and my wife had scampi (battered prawns). The room was well appointed with microwave and coffee maker. The room was clean and we saw no bedbugs. It was nice to have breakfast included in the room price. The breakfast food was adequate but the dining room was a bit Spartan. Personally, I enjoy a more formal dining experience but we have to be thankful for small mercies ....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Leola, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Checked in with no problems,after going to see where our room was lady at desk asked if our room was ok and it was perfect,room and hotel smelled clean,staff all friendly,good breakfast and restaurant had excellant food there at hotel,slept very well.At check out,staff asked to make sure we were happy with our stay and we were,wife and I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

A good hotel to use if visiting Harpers Ferry. No problem with the room , everything OK. Had a nice meal in the hotel bar , good value . Would stay here again.

New Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2011

The room was clean and spacious with all the amenities - microwave, refrigerator, wireless internet, TV, radio.. The beds were comfortable and there was not a trace of bedbugs. I was in the 3rd building which is farthest from the office/restaurant - close enough to walk. I ate the T-bone steak dinner in the tavern restaurant. The steak was ok but if there is another time I think I would check out Charles Town. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good. Plenty of food with a nice selection. The person stocking the buffet was pleasant. All in all it is a nice a place and I would stay again

Elkins, West Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the room. It was bright and cheerful with two double beds, refrigerator, safe, large TV and coffee maker. I'm not a TV watcher. When I'm traveling I like to attend special events or happenings going on in the area. I do like music in the room though and the reception for radio was poor which is not the hotel's fault, although an antenna on the radio would help reception. After reading reviews from two travelers referring to bedbugs in the rooms, I was quite fearful, but in the two nights that I stayed there, I had no such problem. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was wonderful...cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage, muffins, waffles, biscuits and gravy, fruit, etc. Sure beat going to a fast food restaurant to buy breakfast. I was quite surprised at the number of guests who were in the dining room for the meal. The staff was helpful and checkout was speedy.
My only complaint was that there must have been either smoking rooms in the non-smoking building (building #2) or guests where assigned rooms in that building who did smoke. As soon as I opened the outside building door, I smelled the cigarette smoke, but I did not necessarily smell it in my room. The room was well maintained and clean. I noticed that some reviewers mentioned that their rooms were in either building #2 or #3 and how they had to walk a great distance to get to them. This is rubbish. You can park in front of these buildings. If you are too lazy to walk from them to the main building for morning breakfast, you are either lazy or infirm. In that case, move your car and drive to the main building.
I can certainly recommend this establishment and would not hesitate to go there again.

Room Tip: Request a non-smoking room and you can expect it to be just that.
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My Wife and I stayed here during the Heritage Festival of Charles town. We were greeted like family! We enjoyed the time away from the City and the Q inn crew made it happen!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#2 of 3 in Shepherdstown

Been to Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry? Share your experiences!