“Ideal hotel for visiting this historic area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry

Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Harpers Ferry
Elkins, West Virginia
“Ideal hotel for visiting this historic area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the room. It was bright and cheerful with two double beds, refrigerator, safe, large TV and coffee maker. I'm not a TV watcher. When I'm traveling I like to attend special events or happenings going on in the area. I do like music in the room though and the reception for radio was poor which is not the hotel's fault, although an antenna on the radio would help reception. After reading reviews from two travelers referring to bedbugs in the rooms, I was quite fearful, but in the two nights that I stayed there, I had no such problem. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was wonderful...cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage, muffins, waffles, biscuits and gravy, fruit, etc. Sure beat going to a fast food restaurant to buy breakfast. I was quite surprised at the number of guests who were in the dining room for the meal. The staff was helpful and checkout was speedy.
My only complaint was that there must have been either smoking rooms in the non-smoking building (building #2) or guests where assigned rooms in that building who did smoke. As soon as I opened the outside building door, I smelled the cigarette smoke, but I did not necessarily smell it in my room. The room was well maintained and clean. I noticed that some reviewers mentioned that their rooms were in either building #2 or #3 and how they had to walk a great distance to get to them. This is rubbish. You can park in front of these buildings. If you are too lazy to walk from them to the main building for morning breakfast, you are either lazy or infirm. In that case, move your car and drive to the main building.
I can certainly recommend this establishment and would not hesitate to go there again.

Room Tip: Request a non-smoking room and you can expect it to be just that.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My Wife and I stayed here during the Heritage Festival of Charles town. We were greeted like family! We enjoyed the time away from the City and the Q inn crew made it happen!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Hnter64
Clifton Forge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We booked reservations here because it's close to the casino but more importantly, it's pet friendly! That means so much to retired folks who travel with their 4-legged family member. We were more than pleased with the location, quality, comfort, and super friendly staff. The rooms, grounds and parking lot are very spacious. Having a secure building offered peace of mind as well. Being able to grab a quick bite of breakfast was so convenient. This will always be our home away from home when we visit Charles Town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DEBBIE B
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

The room was well equiped and the staff were very friendley.
The only down side was that breakfast was OK and the vening meal was ok - i expected something a bit better.
Swimming pool was clean and much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Centreville, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I took my fiance for a mini-vacation to enjoy some tubing and history in Harpers Ferry. I did not plan it, but this hotel is next door to River Riders, who we used for our tubing outing. It was great to be able to walk and not worry about getting the car wet after our trip. One thing I did notice was that the hotel has a tubing package deal with River Riders which I do not recall seeing anywhere on this hotels website.

The room was spacious and there were no bed bugs. I have read reviews of other quests encountering them, but we did check our mattress and there were none. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. There is a safe in the room, but ours was not unlocked by the previous quests so we were not able to use it. The carpets and the bathroom were also clean. We really have no complaints about the room at all. The A/C worked great in our room too, I love a cold hotel room.

The hallways were rather smokey though. Had the smoke entered our room, this would have been a big issue, but inside the room we didn't notice it at all. I was a bit surprised that smoking was allowed inside the hotel, and thankfully it was only noticeable in the hallways. Quite a turn off at the onset, but at least it didn't flow into the room.

The staff was friendly enough. Since we stayed over the July 4th holiday we asked about any local fireworks that might be taking place. This is where the joke began. It seemed like every time we asked the front desk a question their answer was "I don't know" or "I'm not sure." But, it wasn't a big deal as we relied on Urbanspoon.com for dining information.

The breakfast in the hotel was fair, nothing special at all. The hostess that was restocking the food was rather rude and harsh toward quests though. The two restaurants onsite offer the same menu, but one is a "gourmet" atmosphere and the other is a tavern. This was a bit misleading, but then again I don't expect a hotel that depends on tourism to have 5 stare fare. It was decent, but there are better places to eat in Charles Town.

As I mentioned, it is very close to River Riders. The hotel is also just down the street from a park where you can begin a nice hike to Lower Town Harpers Ferry or join other trails. River access is close as well. Charles Town is only 4 miles away and offers some dining options or the casino. Overall, it is a great location if you don't have high expectations for a hotel. It's a good place to stay and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel if you plan on tubing as they offer a tubing package with River Riders. This wasn'...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fish_the_Head
Meadville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Terrible place to stay. I was given a room in the second o 3 buildings and it smelled of pet odors ..stains on the carpeting and on the bed linens. And to top it off I was bitten with bedbugs all over my body and the night gentleman still on at 6 am in the morning was helpless to do anything about the problem. Sleep in your car before staying here!

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sallyabendingham

Travelers are raving about these Harpers Ferry hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Rooms clean, spacious, comfortable. staff friendly and amenable. food in restaurant was very good. Beds were very comfortable. Rooms could have done with a safe.
We had an overnight stay here after visiting Antietam. The hotel was just right for what we needed. No frills. Breakfast was thrown in too in the dinning room although it was poor by US standards.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#3 of 3 in Shepherdstown
3.5 of 5 stars 113 reviews

Been to Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry? Share your experiences!