Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
Quality Inn(Harpers Ferry)(Great Value!)
$87
QualityInn
$80
Motel 6 Charles Town(Charles Town)
$75
$179
Hampton.com
$179
$55
  • Breakfast included
Rodeway Inn & Suites(Charles Town)(Great Value!)
$72
RodewayInn
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmain buildingindoor poolwhite horse taverncharles townroom was cleanwafflesfree breakfastrace trackother hotels in the areariver riderswould stay here againvery nice hotelfitness centerevery staff memberthree buildingsadjoining restaurantadjoining rooms
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I took my fiance for a mini-vacation to enjoy some tubing and history in Harpers Ferry. I did not plan it, but this hotel is next door to River Riders, who we used for our tubing outing. It was great to be able to walk and not worry about getting the car wet after our trip. One thing I did notice was that the hotel has a tubing package deal with River Riders which I do not recall seeing anywhere on this hotels website.

The room was spacious and there were no bed bugs. I have read reviews of other quests encountering them, but we did check our mattress and there were none. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. There is a safe in the room, but ours was not unlocked by the previous quests so we were not able to use it. The carpets and the bathroom were also clean. We really have no complaints about the room at all. The A/C worked great in our room too, I love a cold hotel room.

The hallways were rather smokey though. Had the smoke entered our room, this would have been a big issue, but inside the room we didn't notice it at all. I was a bit surprised that smoking was allowed inside the hotel, and thankfully it was only noticeable in the hallways. Quite a turn off at the onset, but at least it didn't flow into the room.

The staff was friendly enough. Since we stayed over the July 4th holiday we asked about any local fireworks that might be taking place. This is where the joke began. It seemed like every time we asked the front desk a question their answer was "I don't know" or "I'm not sure." But, it wasn't a big deal as we relied on Urbanspoon.com for dining information.

The breakfast in the hotel was fair, nothing special at all. The hostess that was restocking the food was rather rude and harsh toward quests though. The two restaurants onsite offer the same menu, but one is a "gourmet" atmosphere and the other is a tavern. This was a bit misleading, but then again I don't expect a hotel that depends on tourism to have 5 stare fare. It was decent, but there are better places to eat in Charles Town.

As I mentioned, it is very close to River Riders. The hotel is also just down the street from a park where you can begin a nice hike to Lower Town Harpers Ferry or join other trails. River access is close as well. Charles Town is only 4 miles away and offers some dining options or the casino. Overall, it is a great location if you don't have high expectations for a hotel. It's a good place to stay and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Call the hotel if you plan on tubing as they offer a tubing package with River Riders. This wasn't on their website that I recall.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fish_the_Head
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Terrible place to stay. I was given a room in the second o 3 buildings and it smelled of pet odors ..stains on the carpeting and on the bed linens. And to top it off I was bitten with bedbugs all over my body and the night gentleman still on at 6 am in the morning was helpless to do anything about the problem. Sleep in your car before staying here!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sallyabendingham
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Rooms clean, spacious, comfortable. staff friendly and amenable. food in restaurant was very good. Beds were very comfortable. Rooms could have done with a safe.
We had an overnight stay here after visiting Antietam. The hotel was just right for what we needed. No frills. Breakfast was thrown in too in the dinning room although it was poor by US standards.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This was not a good hotel to stay in. Although my wife smokes, we always elect a non-smoking room. When we returned from an outing she noted that her luggage did not look the same. Someone had rummaged through and taken her cigarettes. The computers in the lobby, both keyboards horribly deficient. Although the person who handled the food was very, very friendly, the food was definitely not something to write home about. The hotel has no elevators. Other than the nice food-handler, the only good thing I could say is that the place was clean. Service at the desk was slow and a few workers unfriendly and short in responses. Would not stay here again and I will be frequenting the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Overall I was pretty happy with this hotel. We have stayed only at Choice Hotels our entire trip (seven different ones in total), so it was interesting to compare them all. What I really appreciated about this place was the ability for our family to all stay in one room, instead of having to order two rooms as usual. They had a room with three double beds, and it was roomy! It was in the second building, which was a little bit of a walk from the main one, but not bad. The town is tiny, so there was not much available to eat at later hours outside of the hotel, but the hotel had a restaurant and bar/grill with food available. The pool looked beautiful although we did not use it. The room was a little musty smelling, but not that bad. The breakfast was very good, and included eggs, sausage, and waffles. The staff seemed friendly enough as well. I felt the value was good for the money.

Take some time to visit Harpers Ferry while you are here - the town is an old, beautiful historic place. I wish we had all day there! We asked for directions at the front desk to get there.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family