“Relaxing, lovely location”
Review of Pinehurst Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Pinehurst Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Bayfield B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I chose Pinehurst Inn for my weekend stay in Bayfield based on positive reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. The grounds were lovely and the entire stay was relaxing and rejuvenating. I made my reservation at the last minute and was very glad there was availability, although I had to stay in two separate rooms (Birches and Brownstone). I enjoyed them both. They are located in the Garden House, a separate, newer structure on the property away from the main house. I was completely satisfied and enjoyed having my separate space. Both rooms had fireplaces and nice, deep whirlpool tubs. I appreciated many of the "small" touches they provide (e.g., water bottles to use during the day to help cut down on the purchase of plastic bottles). I didn't use it but I like that they have a sauna on the property. I hope to return one day and have a chance to give that a try. Breakfasts were well done. I enjoyed meeting the other guests and getting ideas of where to spend the day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
PinehurstOwner, Owner at Pinehurst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. We know sometimes switching rooms during a stay might be clumbsy for some - so pleased it worked for you! And yes, the sauna is popular - so you will definitely need to return and make use of this amenity. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.

There are newer reviews for Pinehurst Inn

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We've been to many B&B's throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin. Based on the reviews, we were really looking forward to staying at Pinehurst. We were disappointed. The room, bed, bathroom, were all average...ok but not welcoming...no décor to speak of. Hosts were not even there when we arrived. Steve was an excellent host but I felt like Nancy just wanted us to hurry up and get out of there so she could get on with her day. Maybe she's burned out. We stayed 2 nights and the breakfasts were pretty much the same--nothing to write home about. The coffee was excellent. We would not go back as our primary feeling was that we were tolerated for the money but not welcomed as guests.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main house for privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PinehurstOwner, Owner at Pinehurst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

We do appreciate you taking the time to post a review. While we always love glowing reviews, it is important that we pay attention to those reviews noting issues. We take to heart the comments you've provided.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed two nights at this wonderful B&B. Nancy and Steve are very friendly and helpful hosts. The breakfast was fantastic, it was a very good start of the day. Steve always presented the breasfast before we started - we liked that.
Both Nancy and Steve were helpful in recommending good restaurants. Thanks to Steve we tried first time ever to taste whitefish liver and it was delicious! This was at the Port Side restaurant just a mile from Pinehurst Inn.
We stayed in the Elisha room and we liked the room very much. So if you are travelling to Bayfield - the Pinehurst is the place to stay.

Room Tip: We can recommend the Elisha room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your gracious review. We do appreciate your business and having the opportunity to share Pinehurst and Bayfield with you. Nancy & Steve

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Beautiful old home with lots of local history to go with it. Room (Elisha's) was quaint and bed was super comfy. The bath, sink arrangement in the bedroom area was a little awkward but it worked.
Hosts Nancy and Steve are nice people and run their business well. Its located about 3 miles out of town but that worked for us since it put us nearer the Apostle Island golf course, which, by the way, has got to be the best kept secret in Bayfield.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor suite looked interesting.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mikey067
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

First off, the FOOD is amazing! My partner has a nut allergy and they took it into consideration every day that we were there. The inn keepers are two of the sweetest people and gave us many suggestions on places to eat and things to do in the area. We stayed in the catherine suite and could not have asked for a more comfortable bed or room. The lotion and other small amenities in the room made you feel right at home. I would recommend this place to any couple looking to get away and relax. Oh and coffee lovers? This is the place to go for delicious coffee!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I chose Pinehurst Inn for one night before heading off for a sailing trip in the Apostle Islands for a long weekend. The accommodations were comfortable and provided the rest we needed after a long drive. We stayed in Holly's room, and were too tired to use the whirlpool in the room that night, and were looking forward to using it in the morning. Too bad for us, we hadn't read the instructions that tell you not to use the jets early in the morning. A hot soak without the jets worked fine. Breakfast was delicious. Hosts were charming.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Well, I'll start by saying that after reading so many other reviews from guests that just LOVED their stays, that I'm feeling either that I must be very difficult to please, OR that we just had an 'off' experience.

Let me start by saying that the property is BEAUTIFUL and VERY Charming. We stayed in the Garden House in the Brownstone room (the one with the 3-sided fireplace). The room was large, clean and comfortable. The shower was a tad small and I had some difficulties with regulating the water temperature, but was impressed that all their water was heated through solar means. The whirlpool tub was VERY relaxing and everything else in the room was very nice. In retrospect however, I wish we had stayed in the main house. That is where all the charm is in this property. The original home is lovely and while the Garden House room was quite nice, I felt like it was more of a hotel-like room, than a B&B room.

When my husband and I first arrived, we were greeting by a young lady named Nolana. (I might not have her name spelled correctly.) She was AWESOME. Very helpful, Very friendly and just plain - NICE! She gave us some tips of where to eat dinner (Dalous in Washburn), which turned out to be one of the best eating experiences of our trip! The next morning, we went to breakfast at the main house. Our Innkeeper Steve was our host and he was SUPER. What a friendly, nice man, who clearly is proud of his place and the area they live in. We had little to no interaction with his wife, Nancy, who seemed to be too busy to stop and say hello even. I got the impression that we were being rushed through breakfast, perhaps because we were shift 1 of 2 breakfast sessions. The coffee was EXCELLENT, as was the blueberry cream cheese stuffed baked french toast. This said, the best part of breakfast was sitting with other couples and getting to know them.

Saturday evening, (after taking the Apostle Island "Grand Tour" which is WELL WORTH the $, and the Ferry over to Madeline Island), we enjoyed a spectacular meal at Pier Plaza (aka the Pickled Herring) in Bayfield. Seriously, the best steak I've had bar none. The White Fish was super fresh and we couldn't have been more happy with our service and meal. And did I mention cheap? It was their dinner "special" and we feasted like a King and Queen for $22 each. Unbelievable.

Later that evening, we were treated to an unexpected 'perk' when looking out our 2nd floor window from our room and seeing a Black Bear paddling his/her way across the back lawn. That was great, and we got a couple of photos. Learned later that another bar had strolled down the driveway just hours later.

One thing I was disappointed in was the 'separation' between those of us who stayed in the Garden House and those who stayed in the main house. After seeing the main house earlier when we went up there for Breakfast, I would have loved to spend some time in their parlor, relaxing, reading, playing games, etc. While no one told me I could not, there definitely was the 'feeling' that we were expected to spend our time in the other house, which had a nice large room with satellite television, a fridge, microwave, etc. Very nice, but no charm there. While the outside of that building was designed to look like it was an original older building to match the home, the inside was very modern and hotel-like. We were also used to staying at other B&B's where the hosts have coffee and tea, chilled waters and sodas (that type of thing), available throughout the day. At Pinehurst, coffee and tea were available in the common-areas of each building starting around 7:00 a.m., but everything felt very regimented and impersonal.

Day two's breakfast was a little disappointing. A crustless quiche made with 3 Wisconsin cheeses. It was tasty, but not note-worthy. The portion size wasn't abundant either. Interestingly, another couple that we ate with that morning also mentioned that they were still hungry. Again, on day two, Steve was an excellent host. Nancy, was again, mostly out-of-the-picture. I began to wonder if she wasn't feeling well, but when she did make an appearance, it was only to start taking our dishes away (and this time we had eaten on the 2nd shift, so there should have been no rush). The only comment made was that we must have been a huge coffee-drinking bunch because we had drank them out of coffee, and they didn't know if they had enough to get them through until Tuesday (when they pick up fresh beans in town.) That definitely didn't make for a comfortable conversation. I really felt that she bordered on aloof and was definitely 'cool' towards us. I do know that it wasn't just us - another couple we had dined with commented the same thing.

All, in all - the accommodations were quite good! We would have appreciated more 'personality' in terms of stories, and face-to-face interaction with the Innkeepers (both of them, not just Steve.) It's the combination of a great home with great rooms, great company (meeting other guests) along with great food and great hospitality that provides a great B&B experience. I would rate this one "very good", but not "great".

Room Tip: If you want the 'original' home charm - select a room in the main house. The rooms in the G...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield

Been to Pinehurst Inn? Share your experiences!