“Phenomenal staff and lodging” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Rittenhouse Inn

Old Rittenhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Rochester, Minnesota
“Phenomenal staff and lodging”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed for 2 nights for our honeymoon, and I can't say enough about how accommodating they were. We were late and missed our dinner reservation, so they brought us up a little dessert snack from the kitchen. They had a few open suites, so they upgraded us from a more basic room for free. They were consistently kind and fun to chat with. We truly had a wonderful time.

Now, for our suite- we stayed in Room 11, and truly, it was amazing. Huge, sprawling, warm, and peaceful- everything we could ask for in a room, with incredibly tall ceilings, a fireplace, whirlpool, porch and cozy bed. We loved it!

Room Tip: Suite 11 is truly wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for the review! We're happy you enjoyed your stay and found our staff accommodating during your honeymoon. Thanks for the kind words about Suite 11, which is one of our favorite rooms at the Inn. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your return.

Kind regards, Mark and Wendy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Two Harbors, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was my first time at a B & B and I was so pleased. Great service, room and location. Apparently there weren't any restaurants or bars open this April because of Ice Caves? But we had a great time none the less and made due. A view of Lake Superior that can't be beat and a log on the fire made this romantic. No tvs in room... breakfast was GREAT. Would love to return when the town is more alive. Fun, relaxing stay. VERY accomadating when I had to change res due to a death in the family. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View, 2nd floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review! We are pleased that your first time at a B&B was a great experience. You are right: Bayfield can be a little "sleepy" in April! It's all part of the charm. We hope you'll return during the summer and experience Bayfield when it's buzzing!

MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

My wife and I have been staying here since 1986 and are continually amazed at the quality of service and friendliness of staff. We LOVE the fact that there are NO TVs!!! Thank God!! We go to Bayfield to get away from the noise and the hustle and bustle of life. It is the place to go. While not the cheapest place around, it is consistent every year in their cleanliness, food and service. And for that, I will pay more. I have read some of the comments that people wrote concerning Rittenhouse where they rated it terrible and it seems to me that they have a problem either listening to cancellation fees and/or they are expecting to have surround sound TVs in their room. If that is your expectation, this place is not for you. As for other reviews saying that the employees were rude at breakfast, we have NEVER experienced that. It has been very courteous every time. And I would say that we have eaten a good 70-80 breakfasts there so we know of whence we speak! Will we be back? Yes, you can count on it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review! We know there are lots of choices for places to stay and dine in Bayfield, and the fact that this reviewer keeps returning after nearly 30 years is very special to us. Here is a couple who gets Bayfield! It's not about watching TV in your hotel, it's about experiencing all there is to see and do here, especially the great outdoors. It's about enjoying the silence and getting a needed change of pace from the stress of daily life. It's about reconnecting and reaffirming our most important relationships. We hope our Inn can be a sanctuary for travelers. BongoDrums, you're always welcome at Old Rittenhouse Inn.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

It was a spur of the moment trip. The ice caves would be closing. As we neared Bayfield I called the ORHI. It was the best phone call! Because we would be arriving later they made special arrangements. The breakfast was amazing and included! The service understated and met our every expectation, and more! Just really nice people. The inn is old and just a gem. We truly enjoyed our one night stay. We will go back. Oh and the fun part was getting a postcard to send to anyone you wish! We sent ours to our 3 year old granddaughter and she loved getting her mail! Such a nice touch!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review! We are happy that you enjoyed your "Spur of the Moment" trip to Bayfield and Old Rittenhouse Inn, and that your granddaughter appreciated getting a postcard in the mail. We appreciate your visit, and look forward to your return!

Janesville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

I fail to understand how anyone could not enjoy themselves at this magestic Victorian establishment located in a delightful village overlooking Lake Superior. The food there is incredible. The service is perfect. I have been there as a couple, solo and with my family a number of times over the last 25 years. I also have travelled the world and stayed in fine hotels in most of the lower 48 states and what I say is not without a depth of comparison to similar establishments.
Yes for many it is a hike to get there. And I suppose folks tend to think of such a place situated so far north only as someplace to frequent in the summer months. But it is a place in my heart for all seasons, a place where I have been reborn mentally. It was the scene of my honeymoon and the place where I stayed with my now ex-wife and our three children to celebrate our last Christmas together as a family before our divorce. I have brought my 87 year old Father there as his first outing after open heart surgery. I have gone there to enjoy the Apple Festival and Art Festivals and wine tasting weekends and beer tasting weekends. I also have gone there just to be by myself and gain composure. The Rittenhouse is my oasis, my summer cottage, my winter get-away, my home away from home. I hope it never ends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and delightful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtmoonlite
Your review touches our hearts. Who would know better about Old Rittenhouse Inn than someone who has been coming here for the past 25 years? We are honored that you chose us as a setting for so many of the significant moments and memories of your life, and we will continue to be a sanctuary, a place for renewal, and a home away from home for travelers everywhere. From the bottom of our hearts: thank you! We can't wait to see you again.

Holmen, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

For our April "Staycation" visit to Bayfield County, we chose the first Bed & Breakfast in Wisconsin - the award winning Old Rittenhouse Inn. We rate B&Bs on three scales (1) atmosphere (2) attention to details and (3) breakfast :-). The Old Rittenhouse gets high marks for all three. Atmosphere - The Old Rittenhouse is your classic Victorian. The main floor is mostly dedicated to the restaurant (The Landmark). Each room has a fire place and a delightful collection of glass ware. The second and third floors are suites. We had a suite on the second floor (#4). There is a delightful sitting room on the second floor. Antiques abound in every nook and crannies. The rooms are also full of character. Stained Glass windows in rooms that throw off a delightful essence in your room, as well as the lamps that throw off a delicious light. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small (OK...very small) for this 6'4" guy. Did I mention the Breakfasts? The menu offers approximately five choices, with an additional 5 or so sides. Coffee and juices finished off the breakfast (except the pallet cleansing fruit compote). My wife believes the Quiche was the best she has ever had. I was partial to the French Toast and scrambled eggs.

The Old Rittenhouse Inn gets top marks on all three assets of B&Bs. It is not a retreat center feel - it is a vibrant community that recharges each day with those of us looking to experience the classic Victorian Bed & Breakfast Experience. Highly Recommended!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BuyReallyLow
New Richmond, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was, by far, the best place we have EVER stayed at. The epitome and definition of hospitality at it's finest. Extremely accommodating, clean beyond even the best standards, beautifully decorated - there is not one point to which they have not excelled. We went here as an early Spring getaway and were snowed in by an April blizzard dropping almost 20 inches of snow. I can't think of a better place to be. These folks have spent their years wisely, making sure no stone is unturned. Every person we met was not only pleasant and eager to make our stay all that it could be, but they were all very interesting personalities. The rooms are amazing, the food is TOP of the industry and the hospitality is simply five star plus. I can hardly wait to go back to one of their events - I have heard so many good things. DEFINITELY worth every penny!

Room Tip: If you love the lake, make sure to get a room with a lake view! It's spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Theresa J
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thanks for your kind words, Theresa. Not all travelers would take getting snowed in during a 'spring getaway' with the positive spirit you showed! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your return. Best wishes, Mark and Wendy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon
The Inn at Washburn
The Inn at Washburn
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Old Rittenhouse Inn? Share your experiences!