“Rittenhouse Inn is the best”

Old Rittenhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 16 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Rittenhouse Inn is the best”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I fail to understand how anyone could not enjoy themselves at this magestic Victorian establishment located in a delightful village overlooking Lake Superior. The food there is incredible. The service is perfect. I have been there as a couple, solo and with my family a number of times over the last 25 years. I also have travelled the world and stayed in fine hotels in most of the lower 48 states and what I say is not without a depth of comparison to similar establishments.
Yes for many it is a hike to get there. And I suppose folks tend to think of such a place situated so far north only as someplace to frequent in the summer months. But it is a place in my heart for all seasons, a place where I have been reborn mentally. It was the scene of my honeymoon and the place where I stayed with my now ex-wife and our three children to celebrate our last Christmas together as a family before our divorce. I have brought my 87 year old Father there as his first outing after open heart surgery. I have gone there to enjoy the Apple Festival and Art Festivals and wine tasting weekends and beer tasting weekends. I also have gone there just to be by myself and gain composure. The Rittenhouse is my oasis, my summer cottage, my winter get-away, my home away from home. I hope it never ends.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and delightful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtmoonlite
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Your review touches our hearts. Who would know better about Old Rittenhouse Inn than someone who has been coming here for the past 25 years? We are honored that you chose us as a setting for so many of the significant moments and memories of your life, and we will continue to be a sanctuary, a place for renewal, and a home away from home for travelers everywhere. From the bottom of our hearts: thank you! We can't wait to see you again.

Mark and Wendy Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Holmen, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

For our April "Staycation" visit to Bayfield County, we chose the first Bed & Breakfast in Wisconsin - the award winning Old Rittenhouse Inn. We rate B&Bs on three scales (1) atmosphere (2) attention to details and (3) breakfast :-). The Old Rittenhouse gets high marks for all three. Atmosphere - The Old Rittenhouse is your classic Victorian. The main floor is mostly dedicated to the restaurant (The Landmark). Each room has a fire place and a delightful collection of glass ware. The second and third floors are suites. We had a suite on the second floor (#4). There is a delightful sitting room on the second floor. Antiques abound in every nook and crannies. The rooms are also full of character. Stained Glass windows in rooms that throw off a delightful essence in your room, as well as the lamps that throw off a delicious light. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small (OK...very small) for this 6'4" guy. Did I mention the Breakfasts? The menu offers approximately five choices, with an additional 5 or so sides. Coffee and juices finished off the breakfast (except the pallet cleansing fruit compote). My wife believes the Quiche was the best she has ever had. I was partial to the French Toast and scrambled eggs.

The Old Rittenhouse Inn gets top marks on all three assets of B&Bs. It is not a retreat center feel - it is a vibrant community that recharges each day with those of us looking to experience the classic Victorian Bed & Breakfast Experience. Highly Recommended!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BuyReallyLow
New Richmond, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was, by far, the best place we have EVER stayed at. The epitome and definition of hospitality at it's finest. Extremely accommodating, clean beyond even the best standards, beautifully decorated - there is not one point to which they have not excelled. We went here as an early Spring getaway and were snowed in by an April blizzard dropping almost 20 inches of snow. I can't think of a better place to be. These folks have spent their years wisely, making sure no stone is unturned. Every person we met was not only pleasant and eager to make our stay all that it could be, but they were all very interesting personalities. The rooms are amazing, the food is TOP of the industry and the hospitality is simply five star plus. I can hardly wait to go back to one of their events - I have heard so many good things. DEFINITELY worth every penny!

Room Tip: If you love the lake, make sure to get a room with a lake view! It's spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Theresa J
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thanks for your kind words, Theresa. Not all travelers would take getting snowed in during a 'spring getaway' with the positive spirit you showed! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your return. Best wishes, Mark and Wendy
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Old Rittenhouse Inn! The room was comfortable, quaint and well-equipped, the breakfast was phenomenal, the staff was personable and helpful, and our experience was fantastic! We will be returning, and hope to enjoy the much talked about dinner as well!
Thank you to all who make this place a fabulous destination, it was 5 star!

Room Tip: Room V was great, probably exactly what the website picture showed. We couldn't use the fireplac...
Neillsville, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Quite the treasure to find. You must visit to enjoy the many delightful treasures to see, and some hidden, that will make your visit very worth every moment. We are torn between this exquisite house and the Ice Caves as to which was more fantastic to enjoy. The gluten-free breakfast was by far the best that we have ever encountered! Moist and flavorful to the point I was humming days later from the memory of it. It's still hard to believe it was gluten-free! The welcome received from the proprietors was better than close family and followed through by their staff, plus their advise on the local cuisine was superb. Will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: All rooms look as beautiful as the next. Look closely as to whether the room has a shower or tub. Ro...
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 22, 2014

A very relaxing weekend with remarkable customer service that attends to detail. The setting, the food, the room were all exceptional . My husband and I found tranquility with beautiful scenery around us. A very quiet place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed three nights during the second week in March 2013. We really enjoyed our stay. The chefs had prepared gluten free baked goods for each breakfast including blueberry scone, french toast etc. and they were excellent! Julie was very helpful to suggest activities in the area. Our nice room had great views of frozen Lake Superior and the ice road to Madeline Island. The location was an easy walk from other places in town so good location too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
The Inn at Washburn
The Inn at Washburn
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Old Rittenhouse Inn? Share your experiences!