“Wonderful stay at the Chateau house.”

Old Rittenhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Bayfield B&B and Inns
“Wonderful stay at the Chateau house.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked one night at the Rittenhouse and I ended up selecting the ballroom at the Chateau.

The ballroom is on the 3rd floor of the Rittenhouse's sister property, which is a few blocks from the main house. It's still a gorgeous Victorian mansion with I believe 7 rooms. We were very happy with our choice once we saw both properties - the restaurant and front deak is in the main house so the Chateau offers a lot more quiet. There is a beautiful front wrap around porch to enjoy the lake views with, although our room did not have any views of the lake. I have seen a few people give negative reviews to the inn for this reason, but the price of the room reflects this fact. I thought the price was extremely reasonable all things considered and would love to stay in the ballroom again. We also did not note any musty smell that another reviewer complained about.

We also took part in the 5 course dinner at the main house. Oh my, what an experience that was. White fish liver for an appetizer, clam chowder with chunks of white fish and trout and tomato basil soup, we had a trout salad and a bacon vinaigrette on baby spinach salad, and our entrees were the filet mignon and the trout. The trout was the best preparation I've EVER had of lake trout, and I've had a lot. It was lightly floured, drizzled with olive oil, and served over capers, kalamatta olives and I believe wild rice. Amazing. Dessert was also very good. The service was outstanding.

We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay in Bayfield at the Chateau property. We stayed in both the Northeast and the Ballroom. They were both very spacious and comfortable. We kind of like staying in the property away from the Rittenhouse because you almost get a feeling of having the "run of the house" so to speak. You can wander about in the sitting room, dining room and kitchen, pick out the wine glasses and cups you want to use, make your own coffee in the morning if you desire, before heading over to the Rittenhouse for their wonderful complimentary breakfast or for paying for a more substantial breakfast. Believe me, the complimentary breakfast was more than enough for us. We did peek at other guests who had the "on menu" breakfast and they looked extremely delicious and pleasing.
Lance is a wonderful server. He couldn't be more gracious. The Rittenhouse should be very pleased to have him there. Thanks Lance for all your attention.
Our departure was uneventful and handled in a very pleasant and professional manner. I know when we go to Bayfield again, we will surely make the Old Rittenhouse our choice for lodging.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just completed a 5 night stay in room 12 at the Old Rittenhouse. We had a wonderful experience. The food and service was exceptional! The service staff were very attentive and friendly. We will stay here again! We love the Bayfield area with so much to see and do. Thanks Mark, Wendy and staff!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My son and I had the pleasure of staying at the Old Rittenhouse Inn for two nights (Room #10). The room was a spectacular space, complete with fold-out couch, and in-room Jacuzzi. There were great spaces to stretch out, and a fire place which I'm sure has a place once we're out of the summer months.

The food in the restaurant was terrific. We had one dinner, and one breakfast during our stay, and each of them were well prepared and of a quality that you'd expect at a fine dining restaurant.

Our only complaint was that hot water was not in ready supply. On both days, we ran out of hot water before the first short shower was finished. An inconvenience, but not enough to prevent us from returning some day.

Room Tip: Room #10 is great if you have 3 people (pull-out sofa plus king sized bed). Great space, lots of no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We recently stayed at the Chateau property operated by the Old Ritten House Inn. The Chateau is a wonderful place with spacious, well kept flower filled grounds and total access to the first floor of the grand, old and nicely appointed house. It has a superbly calm and restfull atmosphere. We stayed three nights and enoyed the experince for the most part. However, there are a couple of things that prevent giving it a higher rating.

We were in the Ball Room on the third floor. The view there is of the grounds to the north. Lake Superior, the bay at Bayfield and the islands are not visible from the room. In fairness to most of the other rooms in the house that do have a spendid view, it woud not be honest to rate the room as high as those. (Wonderful views are to be enjoyed from many of the common areas of the house and property) More importantly, the room had a musty "old building" smell that was very noticable upon each entry and stay. We usually had a window open to get fresh air. The house keeper was very attentive to this when we called it to her attenttion and put an ozone machine in right away. But that cannot run all the time, especially when people are present. So, it was only a partial fix. On checkout the person at the desk seemed not to care much about it when we mentioned it.

Another drawback is the electric baseboard heating made a clicking or tapping noise for several minutes when going on and off. It was chily when we were there and we did need some heat on. It could be heard intermittently throughout the night, so it is a sleep quality matter.

Although it did not bother us particularly, the floor did squeak quite a bit in most of the room as we walked about. Our concern was that it might be disturbing to the guests who might be in the rooms below ours. I don't know if that is a problem there, but we did feel a little ackward about possibly annoying someone in the lower rooms.

Although the brekfast was very good, it is necessary to go several blocks to the main Ritten House to eat. It is worth the inconvenience, but it is still something of an inconvenience. The breakfast that comes with the room is tasty, well presented and filing; one need only order a side or two to make it complete. The fresh lake trout was a very good side and a nice alternative to bacon or sausage. The more mature gentleman who served us was particularly warm and gracious, providing exellent service. The other two, not so much.

Staying at the Chateau was nice but because of the several matters mentioned above, a higher rating than guests in other rooms might give is just not possible. We traveled with another couple who had a different room and they did not have the drawbacks ours did. Do stay at either property, but you may want to avoid the Ball Room. It would be worth the extra money to stay in one of the other wonderful rooms at the Chateau.

Room Tip: Pay a little more to get a room other than the Ball Room at the Chateau.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cable, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I did not stay here, however, my boyfriend and I went for their famous five course dinner! It was nothing short of amazing! The server was kind, helpful, and attentive, however, I must say that the owner and maitre d, Mark, was fabulous! They do a traditional verbal menu... I tell you what...that man could sell me a heap of cold pizza drizzled in mustard and chocolate and I'd still buy it! The presentation of the food was beautiful, the wine was just right, and the flavors of the food?? Out of this world!

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Both the main hotel house and the nearby chateau are lovely. I stayed in the chateau, which is quieter because there is no dining or similar "public" activity there. It was perfectly furnished and finished; no beautiful or gracious detail was omitted. The grounds are also beautifully landscaped. I felt like I was the houseguest of the very wealthy family that had originally built this superb "summer cottage" one hundred or more years ago, except that I had the additional advantage of the current modern plumbing and similar amenities. The staff are extremely friendly, gracious and accommodating. Eating in the main building's dining room is also not to be missed: The best of current sophisticated cuisine, many local ingredients used, quietly gracious and informed service, a perfectly charming "late 19th century America" setting.

I very highly recommend a stay at Rittenhouse. On the strength of enthusiastic recommendations from friends, I made a special trip, out of my way, to stay there, and I'm very glad that I did. I urge you to do the same.

Room Tip: The chateau is quiet, totally charming, but somewhat inconvenient to the dining room, which is at th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RobertMB1506
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Le Chateau. Kind regards, the Phillips family.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
The Inn at Washburn
The Inn at Washburn
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Old Rittenhouse Inn? Share your experiences!