Old Rittenhouse Inn
$140
$95
$133
QualityInn
Cove Point Lodge(Beaver Bay)(Great Value!)
$199
All reviewsle chateauturret suitelandmark restaurantthird floormoroccan suitephillips familystained glass windowscourse mealsteam showermy husband and ichristmas seasonpork chopsister propertywrap around porchvictorian stylefront porchwonderful breakfast
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I did not stay here, however, my boyfriend and I went for their famous five course dinner! It was nothing short of amazing! The server was kind, helpful, and attentive, however, I must say that the owner and maitre d, Mark, was fabulous! They do a traditional verbal menu... I tell you what...that man could sell me a heap of cold pizza drizzled in mustard and chocolate and I'd still buy it! The presentation of the food was beautiful, the wine was just right, and the flavors of the food?? Out of this world!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Both the main hotel house and the nearby chateau are lovely. I stayed in the chateau, which is quieter because there is no dining or similar "public" activity there. It was perfectly furnished and finished; no beautiful or gracious detail was omitted. The grounds are also beautifully landscaped. I felt like I was the houseguest of the very wealthy family that had originally built this superb "summer cottage" one hundred or more years ago, except that I had the additional advantage of the current modern plumbing and similar amenities. The staff are extremely friendly, gracious and accommodating. Eating in the main building's dining room is also not to be missed: The best of current sophisticated cuisine, many local ingredients used, quietly gracious and informed service, a perfectly charming "late 19th century America" setting.

I very highly recommend a stay at Rittenhouse. On the strength of enthusiastic recommendations from friends, I made a special trip, out of my way, to stay there, and I'm very glad that I did. I urge you to do the same.

Room Tip: The chateau is quiet, totally charming, but somewhat inconvenient to the dining room, which is at the main inn about 1/3 mile from the chateau. All the rooms seemed lovely. N.B.: No elevators, so if you have mobility issues, stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RobertMB1506
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Le Chateau. Kind regards, the Phillips family.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Be careful, read all descriptions, and note that there is no cable TV here. So if you like to catch a brief glimpse of the news, sports, or a favorite late night show, you are out of luck. The man working the reception desk can best be described as surly. The old Victorian furniture in Room IV is lumpy and uncomfortable. The sink is in the bedroom itself, so no way to get up in the morning and brush your teeth without waking the other person. The plumbing is inadequate: not enough hot water two of the 4 mornings we stayed, so finished our showers in cold water. When the toilet was flushed there was a very loud, gulping gurgle in the sink pipes....again, right in the bedroom and loud enough to wake the other person. We felt like we were roughing it for $195/night. It was more like camping.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room #4 unless you like to rough it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Over nearly 40 years in business, Old Rittenhouse Inn has never had TVs . This is rarely an issue as most travelers are here to enjoy the area, rest, revive, and reconnect with loved ones. The Inn offers FREE highspeed wireless internet access for those who wish to check on the news or weather, or enjoy a movie or show using their laptop or tablet.

Old Rittenhouse Inn offers a unique opportunity to spend the night in a clean and well-maintained Victorian mansion that functions as a Country Inn and Gourmet Restaurant. Built in 1890, the home has undergone a number of renovations to update wiring and plumbing over the years. At one time, the original guest rooms (Rooms I - IV) shared a central hall bath. As traveler expectations changed, so did the Inn. Private baths were added later to assure that each room had it's own tub/shower/sink and water closet. Due to the size of the original rooms, most did not allow for a complete, self-contained bathroom, so the sinks were placed within the bedroom.

Reviews like this, from people who don't "get" what we do, always carry a sting. As a small family run business, we care a lot about feedback from our guests, both the positive and constructive varieties. However, we also learned long ago that we can't be all things to all people. We are happy to recommend other accommodations to people looking for a hotel room with television.

If you are reading this review/response and are thinking of a stay in Bayfield, we urge you to look within: What kind of person are you? The answer to that question will determine what lodging accommodations will best suit your needs.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The château was great. Beautiful and in a good location, but not worth having to PAY for breakfast. They did take into consideration my partner's nut allergy and made him special muffins. Staff was friendly. Bed in tower room was not comfortable and the shower knob fell off. Shower head was not powerful and needee to be updated.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank kreinke56
Old_Rit_Innkeeper, Manager at Old Rittenhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

While many assume the Old Rittenhouse Inn a B&B, it is not. It is a Country Inn with a full service Restaurant that is open to the public.

We are pleased that the reviewer mentions our accommodating their travel partner's allergy and our friendly staff. Whenever a lodging reservation is made, future guests are told that their stay includes a complimentary expanded continental breakfast featuring fresh bakery, fruit du jour, choice of cereals or steel cut oats, coffee, tea, and juice (this is also posted online). Alternately, overnight guests can elect to purchase a 2-course breakfast that includes all of the above, plus delicious hot entrees and side dishes. The price is not unreasonable at $12.50, and the portions represent a substantial value. Also, because many of our guests have enjoyed our multi-course gourmet dinner the night before, they do not want a large breakfast in the morning. We are pleased to accommodate guests with a number of options.

Regarding comments about the room, the shower head was repaired as soon as we became aware of the problem. We are not sure why the reviewer found the bed uncomfortable, as it is new within the past 18 months. In that time, the room was rented about 200 nights, so there is not even a full year's use on that particular mattress. Kind regards, the Phillips family

Reviewed July 16, 2013

As always the Old Rittenhouse Inn provided a 5 star experience in one of the most scenic towns in the midwest. The Inn provided first class service, food and lodging with a personal touch, only the Phillips family can do. I have been coming to the ORI and Bayfield area for over 20 years, and it is the place I most often recommend to family and friends.

GREAT JOB ORI !!!!