“First Time Visitor”
Review of Seagull Bay Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Seagull Bay Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bayfield
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent three nights at Seagull Bay Motel last week. As indicated by other reviewers, it is on the dated side, but it was quite clean and we found the refrigerator and microwave handy for preparing breakfast and packing lunch for our daily outings.

We did not have a lot of interaction with the staff, but they were friendly and when we arrived they took us up to the room and explained how everything worked.

It was in the mid 80s and the room was stuffy each day when we returned from our activities, so we opened the windows and used the overhead fan to cool it off. It was comfortable in the evenings and we enjoyed the deck which overlooked Lake Superior. You could not go to the edge of the lake, but the sunsets were pretty and we had a good view from our room and deck.

The downside of our unit (#2) was the road noise. When I made the reservation, it was the only Queen room left and they told me it was on the roadside, but I did not anticipate that it was right on the edge of the road or that big trucks would be going by often due to the road construction going on in Bayfield. Fortunately, once it was dark, the trucks stopped going by. I would not book that unit again though because of its close proximity to the road.

The price is right!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marsha W

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We love to stay at this quiet, comfortable, reasonably priced gem right on Lake Superior. Town is a three minute bike ride away. The view out on the Lake is superb day or night. Well run by friendly people who go out of their way to help. We like to spend a week each summer in their cottage which is a separate building. From there it's kayaking the lake & the caves, biking in town & on the islands, eating at the locally owned everything, and just chillin'.

Room Tip: Get the cottage if it is available.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank William W
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here twice during recent months and both times I received excellent customer service. Although the rooms are a little outdated compared to new motels, the view of Lake Superior was priceless. The owners were very accomodating and left the key in the room for me both times since I was arriving late. Completely nonsmoking and clean. I am planning on being a repeat customer in the future.

Room Tip: Any room along the lake would have a great view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Cozy room with a beautiful view of Lake Superior. A nice deck for just lounging around and enjoying the day. Close to everything in Bayfield, and the walking path is a plus. Mike and Jeanne do EVERYTHING to make you feel at home. Been here twice, and will be returning again for 2013.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank KieranJO
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was getting late in the evening when I saw that the Seagull Bay Motel had a vacancy so I pulled in and found out there was one room available. The owner took me to an adjacent building to the motel to show me the room. While not flash, it was adequate and clean. It included a microwave and a fridge. Plus there was the most amazing mural on the wall that deserved further review, so I agreed to take the room. The owner could not have been more accommodating, carried my luggage to the room, made sure I was comfortable and advised me of the "hospitality room" below. Snack items and drinks available on an honor system. As the owner left I asked don't you want me to register and settle up? He said, "aw, we can do that in the morning"!! I had another look at the mural. It depicted Native American figures centered around a dream catcher. It was quite amazing. Original art in a motel room!! There was a trail outside that connected with a trail leading to Bayview, about a 10 minute walk. I felt this room met my needs quite well, but I was especially impressed by the owner's good will.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Bluznurse
Reviewed September 29, 2012

the place is wonderful and the owner was very nice and helpful.we stayed in the residence it is a larger house that has been turned into couple of motel rooms and large house. this is very larger area and many places to sleep.had a nice deck all your own.was right on trial into town maybe 15 minutes .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here on the last night of our fall colors road trip into the Western UP of Michigan and Northern Wisconsin and our first time actually staying in Bayfield after visiting many times. This is an older style motel almost right on the lake with a layout that works with the hill side location. Easy outside entrances made it a great choice for our two dogs.Rooms are somewhat on the small side but you probably will be only spending time in the room to sleep with all the attractions nearby. Noise was evident from the room above and to the side but not to the extent that it was bothersome.

No frills, just basic and a nice clean place to stay. Huge pluses are the view of Lake Superior from every room, nice lawn with chairs and tables and even a charcoal grill to use. There is access to the walking trail just steps away and only about a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of downtown where all the shops and restaurants are. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room with an equally friendly checkout.

While it was not warm during our visit, the room became stuffy making it tough to sleep and we had to have the blind closed as people were walking by on their way to and from their rooms. This is probably more of a problem in the heat of the summer as there is no AC. An improvement would be figuring out a way to have the nice lake breeze come in to the room yet have needed privacy. Yet another Wisconsin hotel with aloud and noisy bathroom exhaust fan. Why is that? We will come back for another fall visit in the future.

Room Tip: End units may be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield

Been to Seagull Bay Motel? Share your experiences!