“Best Breakfasts in Wisconsin”
Review of The Egg Toss Bakery Cafe - CLOSED

The Egg Toss Bakery Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Breakfasts in Wisconsin”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Great breakfasts - eggs done to perfection, crispy and flavorful bacon and sausage, excellent 4 seed toast with local raspberry jam, and good, strong coffee. All served by efficient and friendly staff. I am still thinking of my breakfasts at the Egg Toss!

Hurley, Wisconsin
“Relaxing, invigorating, just plain ole' wonderful!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Breakfast at the Egg Toss is not to be missed if you are visiting this lovely port city on Lake Superior.

I had the fresh-baked cinnamon bread french toast called "Ecstasy French Toast", which has cream cheese in the middle of two wonderful slices of bread. Note: unless you want a LOT of cream cheese I would ask that they dial it down - otherwise there really is too much! This could only be improved by the addition of real maple syrup. I know it's expensive, but I would have paid extra! (Those cover the point I took off...)

My companion had the Crabby Benny (half an order, which sure is nice!) and half a Biscuits and Gravy. The CB is eggs benedict, except a crab cake instead of ham. The home made hollandaise sauce was a perfect consistency and delightfully lemony. The biscuit was homemade and the gravy full of great tasting sausage bits. Both were wonderfully prepared.

NOTE: they have GREAT coffee! I hate "rotgut" coffee and often just order water if I know a restaurant's coffee is bad. This coffee is great and served with half and half.

Bayfield is also a place for locally grown berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries), as well as apples. Though we didn't order fruit with this meal we watched others smile (and even close their eyes and nod) as they ate the ripe berries.

Sit in the "window" room, which faces the street, if you can. It's bright and cheerful with tiles of alternating orange, red, and yellow and windows all around. You can see street traffic and the delightful shop across the street. The other room is okay, as well, but just the typical "diner" type view.

You can also get baked goods to take home. We left with a loaf of what I think is egg bread and rationed it out until it was (sadly) gone.

I think the prices are in line with the food.

• Visited September 2012
Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Best Omelettes Ever”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

During a recent trip, we ate here two mornings in a row with a big group. The first morning, my meal (vegie omelette) was excellent and the wait staff was a big ole CRAB. The second morning, my meal (french toast) was average and the wait staff was EXCELLENT. The greeter at the register was super friendly and helpful.

My brother had the southern smothered biscuit meal and he hated it and left most of it on his plate. The breads and homemade jam were excellent, the coffee delish, blueberry pancakes to die for, incredible donuts, waffle yummy, and everyone loved their omelettes. My daughter got the "onesies" meal and it was fabulous and reasonable ($5.25). The granola and yogurt was wonderful.

The dining rooms are bright and cheery and CLEAN! The bathrooms-- very clean. Get there early to avoid a big wait--we had to wait 30 minutes on a Sunday at 9, but didn't have to wait on a Saturday at 8. Breakfast only.

• Visited September 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A wonderfull place for breakfast!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We liked the 'vibe' of the place. The breakfast fritata was very good. the buckwheat pancakes with blueberries even better!

Minneapolis
“Good food, a tad bit pricey, but a great place in general.”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

They were quick to deliver the food and it was good. The prices are tad steep but there aren't a ton of breakfast places in the area so they can probably get away with that. We enjoyed our meal.