“Dirty we won't be back”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Greunke's First Street Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Bayfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The pictures on the internet made this place look great. Out of the many places to stay in Bayfield this was one of the few that offered 3 beds. We stayed in the wild Rose room. It had a King size bed, one side was great! The right side of the bed looked like it had sunken to the floor over time. It was like sleeping in a ditch. The other two beds were fine. The worst part was the filthiness of the room, The carpet should have long ago been replaced with vinyl or laminate. The makeshift toilet area was obviously a closet or a portion of a hallway at some point in history. We had to ask for toilet paper as they only left one roll for a 3 day stay with 2 aults and 2 teenagers. We had to ask for towels daily. Did they think we were going to reuse them. There is no place to hang your towels to reuse them. The shower was a real site. My husband is 6'2" and lucky for us no one was round in the middle or else we wouldn't have fit in this small shower. It was a stretch just to get your feet washed. We were definitely not impressed with our stay. At check out I was asked my the opwner if there was "anything else". Not how was your stay? At check in no one offered up any information about the area. It was very impersonal. We did find a "honey spot" if we were to come back to the Bayfield area we would camp at Little Sand Bay. $10 a night, full showers. And the view and the beach are incredible. Looking out over the blue waters of Lake Superior and you get lost. The beach was so spacious and the water so blue I could have been in the Carribean it was that beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelleo_11

Reviewed December 16, 2010

I road trip everywhere and for over a decade now when I have been in norther wisconsin I have stayed at Greunke's and have always enjoyed my stay.
I have met many of the locals when eating breakfast there and have tried most every food they have and I have never been disappointed.
I have stayed in almost all the rooms, from the small room with a bed & desk; to a room large enough for a family and with all the modern needs.......television, a/c, kitchen, etc.
I even stayed in the same room John F. Kennedy Jr. stayed in once.......I hear the room is popular.
I try to go for the festivals and during apple fest (in october), the parade and events are right outside the door and so everything was within walking distance. It is only a block fromthe pier, if you like to see the sun rise over lake superior and the islands.
The pizza is great and I have even left the door unlocked so the Greunke's pizza place (Sgt. Pepperoni's) could leave a pizza for me in the room when I got back late one night. The pizza was there, the door was locked by the pizza staff and nothing was gone.
Bayfield is just one of those small towns where you go, when you want or need to get away from it all for real.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank juanitojose
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Should have known it would be a dump by the availability. But the description of the rooms on the computer and the pictures sounded and looked nice. Now we realize the pictures were probably taken 35 years ago. The place was very dirty. We lifted the rug in the bed/living room and expected to see the chalk outline of a body. We had soooooo many flies in the room, the dumpster was a mear 20 feet from our back door. Had to go borrow a fly swatter from the restuarant. We finally found where they were coming in, a hole by the window that we stuffed with toilet paper. The towels were so old and shabby you could read through them. One of the beds didn't have sheets on it. We ask about that and nothing was done so we went out in the hall and found the supply room open, sure enough there were our sheets. There were cobwebs in all the filthy windows, with bugs hanging in them. We didn't think we had housekeeping so we went off to breakfast came back and someone had made our room up. Of course when that person left they left both doors unlocked. Would never recommend this place to anyone. Filthy, filthy. yukky.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank IRISH049
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I didn't write a review right after our stay, as I just hated to be too negative. After reading the two reviews, I guess I should have.

Sorry to say, this place may have been nice when it was built, but that was then. Now we had the larger suite for a family. It was hot in July. One small window air conditioner worked a little, the other blew air. The loft was so hot, now one could sleep in it. The smell of age and dust is obvious. The room finally got slightly cool at around 5 a.m.. By then we had been up tossing and turning all night.
The shower was so dingy that the kids would not get in it, and the wife and I just rinsed off. Small and dirty is being kind.
The restaurant and workers were fine. If I worried about anything, it was a fire. As the building may be to code, It just doesn't appear to be. So I had a fire plan for the kids as the fish boil and kitchen was directly below us.
I apologize to the owners and the people who may have spent their money staying here. But it's time to renovate or shut it down. If it is renovated, the location and history and restaurant itself would make it a unique place to stay. Until then, look elsewhere. Be aware, inexpensive hotels are not abundant in the immediate area. Not for larger families anyway.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank biknrun
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Some may call it rustic. Others may call it quaint. I call it neglected, dirty, and just plain lousey. I can get by without a phone, TV, bedside lamp, clock, no air
conditioning, etc. But the walls are so paper thin that I was kept awake all night by a person snoring in an adfjacent room. The carpeting was filthy and the bed spread has been around for years.

It is a great location, right in the heart of downtown, but you will be kept awake by tires squealing, loud trucks, and noise when the bars close. Sleep in your car before renting a room here. It was OK 20 years ago, but badly in need of an upgrade. Don't do it - you deserve better!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Titletown
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My husband and I travelled to Bayfield for an Art Fair I was vending at. We wanted to spend some extra time in Bayfield and the Apostle Islands so we stayed from Thursday thru Sunday with the art fair taking place on Saturday and Sunday. We booked the least expensive room because that was all they had available. I was really looking forward to staying there as they claimed it was quaint and charming and we had never stayed at an Inn before.
The staff in the restaurant where you check in was nice and friendly but the room (4) was beyond tiny with a double bed, vanity table (which contained someone's shirt and comb), small bench and one hook on the door to hang your clothes. No phone, no TV, No air conditioning but there was a fan in the window. The steps to the 2nd floor was right outside our window that had a broken blind and a curtain that stopped 6" before the bottom of the window. At night with the light on you could see right in. Especially if you were coming up the stairs which were the only entrance after 10 pm. Our room was located directly above the restaurant kitchen and friday night the sound of the cooler door being loudly shut didn't stop until almost midnight.
We knew we would be sharing the bathroom with other travellers but the bathrooms were really small and always dirty. Wet floors, no toilet paper, dripping faucets, hard to lock locks and ratty towels.
Since we were there for work and noone else had vacancies we had no choice but to stay. We saw some of the other rooms and they weren't much better than ours and much more expensive. The food at Gruenke's was good but I would look elsewhere for a room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank LookingForFlavor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
The Inn at Washburn
The Inn at Washburn
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Greunke's First Street Inn? Share your experiences!