“Excellent service n great breakfast!!”

Greunke's First Street Inn & Dining
Ranked #10 of 16 Restaurants in Bayfield
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Bayfield, Greunke's has been serving food to locals and visitors alike since 1940. Our fun, funky, and eclectic décor sparks memories for all generations and we are family friendly! Our fabulous staff makes your experience even more memorable. The menu offers a variety of burgers, sandwiches, salads, steak, pasta, and of course, FRESH fish from Lake Superior. Be sure to try the "Greunke's Original"--Whitefish Livers!
“Excellent service n great breakfast!!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I love the old school atmosphere and my waitress is always attentive n smiley!!! I always try n get the same amazing, bright-eyed waitress when I go in to eat!! This place has one amazing breakfast at a very good price. Wish there were more bathrooms though.

Duluth, Minnesota
“YUCK!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I gave this place 1 star but only because zero is not a possibility.

A group of 4 of us got there around 4:30, and when we walked in there was only 1 other It took forever for the waitress to get to us, and when she did, she had to keep going back into the kitchen to ask if they had the items we wanted to order. We ordered the 'butter steak', but they didn't have it, but I was offered a New York Strip (isn't that a steak??) instead. I asked for it to be medium well. It arrived cooked so done that it was like looking at sawdust when I cut into it. The tomatoes in the salad were over-ripe to the point of being mushy, the green peppers in the salad were yellow-green, so clearly not ripe yet. They ran out of mashed potatoes, but I could have a baked one....aren't mashed potatoes just baked potatoes that were smushed? When I complained about the steak, the cranky owner literally looked at it and said, "Well, that happens sometimes." and walked away. Eventually the airheaded waitress brought me a new steak...but clearly I had angered the cook because this steak was barely browned on the outside...it still had cooked blood clots on the very, very pale outside. When I cut into it, the center was raw and cold.

As if that wasn't enough, when we got the bill, I'd been charged MORE for the new York strip than was listed on the menu. When I asked the owner, she said I got charged for the extra steak I ordered. I didn't order an extra....I ordered one cooked correctly!!

When I complained to the owner, she said, "Well, you asked for the second steak. What do you want me to do about it? You have no idea what I deal with around here. I'll take $5 off...is that okay?"

I'd stay far, far, far away from this place...

1 Thank Lisa_in_mn55805
Little Chute, Wisconsin
“We had a wait”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

After trying a couple places to eat, we settled on Greunke's. It wasn't our first choice, but every restaurant had and/or was going to have a wait. We did have to wait. We were told a couple of times that we were next, but both times our table was given away. I could tell the hostess felt really bad, so she offered us either free drinks or free appetizer. We both ordered chili, cheeseburgers, and fries. They were all very good. I ordered the strawberry shortcake for dessert, which was fresh. There's a 50s/60s theme going on with un-matching tables and chairs to add to the charm.

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Food good, decor worth the meal.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had dinner here. They allow ordering from the lighter lunch menu, which was nice. The food was good, not great. The decor is pure '50s, with album covers, posters and other memorbelia. We didn't try there signature whitefish livers.....

Sparta
“Save your money”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Got there after 8 on a Saturday night and should have turned around and walked out. Hostess/owner? yelled at the guy who seated us for putting us in section he did - his reply that the other sections were full did not earn him an apology from her. We ordered sandwiches, as we felt the dinner prices were too high - and when meals run average $20, who wants to pay extra for a lettuce salad? Décor was "busy" to say the least. The room we were seated in was approximately 12' x 18', and our college daughter counted 130+ items hanging on the walls. Even the ladies room, (which by the way, was down the extremely narrow hallway marked "toilets") had an excessive number of items on the walls. And most definitely was not handicap accessible. We were seated near the cluttered hostess stand, so had the benefit of hearing the hostess/owner chew out several of her wait staff for various reasons - first for turning customers away because it was past closing time, and then a few minutes later, for allowing some customers to come in who had ordered pizza, then about discrepancies in the till. Fish sandwich was okay, but have never been served potato chips with a Saturday night meal at a "fine" restaurant. Husband had ribeye sandwich and said it was the most bland beef he had ever had, the toast it was served with was soggy, and his plate came with some French fries and some American fries (both soggy). Did they run short on fries, and make up the difference with the potatoes? Who knows - cause nothing was mentioned when they were served.

• Visited August 2013