“Tasty treats and sandwiches; very unfriendly and slow severs” 3 of 5 bubbles

Big Water Coffee Roasters
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Bayfield
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Big Water Coffee Roasters is an artisan coffee roaster located on Lake Superior's south shore in Bayfield, Wisconsin. We offer scratch bakery, homemade soups and premade sandwiches. Our baristas make killer lattes and our bakers make the world's best scones! We feature local and sustainable ingredients whenever possible, including local milk, fruit, and vegetables. Open year 'round, stop in to grab a bite to eat and your favorite coffee!
Iowa City, Iowa
“Tasty treats and sandwiches; very unfriendly and slow severs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I am not a coffee drinker, but visited Big Water several times during a recent weeklong stay in Bayfield to purchase cookies, coffee cake, and sandwiches, which were all very tasty and priced about average. The same two young gals were working every time I went in and always acted like they were doing me a favor by waiting on me. They never greeted me and never smiled. One time when I went in, one was making a coffee drink and the other was making coffee, but was standing close to the cash register where I was standing. She took a painstakingly long time to grind the coffee and put it into the machine while I waited. She never greeted me or said she would be with me shortly. Seems like these two gals do not like tourists!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BWCdani, Owner at Big Water Coffee Roasters, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize that your visit was anything short of exceptional. I have talked with all of our staff about your experience. We have all taken your feedback to heart and re-committed to making sure every customer has a great experience here. We pride ourselves on great service and I am saddened that you did not receive this. We all love tourists and the fun they bring to our job. Everyday we get to meet new people and share the Bayfield area with them, a place we all love. Please accept my sincere apology. I hope that you will give us another chance when you are in the area.

Thanks,

Danielle Ewalt
Owner

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Definitely worth a stop for all coffee lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Big Water had it all, a delicious cup of regular coffee for my husband, and the barista Ariel made me one of the best cappuccinos I'd had in a long time. The bakery was great as well!

Algoma, Wisconsin
“Quintessential Coffee Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

During our two day stay in Bayfield, I think we hit up Big Water at least four times for coffee and snacks.

I'm admittedly an annoying snob when it comes to lattes, and the drinks served at Big Water were some of the best I've had. I'm already going through major withdrawals, but can't justify the 6-hour drive back to Bayfield just for a good latte!

While we took all drinks to-go, the seating area looked comfy and relaxing. The service was friendly and stellar - exactly what you want to see and experience at a cool, laid-back coffee joint.

Keep up the great work.

Virginia, Minnesota
“Flys Everywhere!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We usually go here for a coffee break every year when we go to Bayfield. The coffee is OK. The flies are all over the bakery. When asked which scone I would like I said, "the one without the flies on it". At this time the counter person made a waving gesture with his hand at which time a fly landed on my scone. Part of the problem, I think, is that you have to bus your own dishes and they are left sitting on a side board for sometime. I am not a rocket scientist, but I do believe this attracts the flies. My scone was very dry and brittle. The experience-unhealthy.

Visited August 2013
Jon E, Owner at Big Water Coffee Roasters, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you had a less than amazing experience at Big Water, and for that I take full responsibility.

I have purchased tents to cover our baked goods, which we began using yesterday, and we have been working with our pest control company on ways to manage the problem. It is common to use chemicals (yes, even in a restaurant!) to treat flies, but we are limited by our organic certification as a coffee roaster on what chemicals or sprays we can use in our building. We are working on a solution that's responsible and effective.

In the meantime, we will increase our checks on the dish bin and we will take every preventative measure to resolve the situation. Again, I apologize for the experience and I hope you'll consider stopping into Big Water on your next visit to Bayfield.

Jon Ewalt
Big Water Coffee Roasters
Hillsboro
“relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped in during our morning stroll downtown and had a couple of chias and sat back in the leather furniture to enjoy some relaxation. They were delicious, the background music was great. The staff working that day were so friendly.

Visited July 2013

Been to Big Water Coffee Roasters? Share your experiences!