“Utterly disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Bayfield
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Had the fish fry, could tell the fish they used was a nice product, but it was completely ruined by the oil they Friday in. The entire plate tasted of burnt oil. At first we thought it was that the fish was fried too long, so we ordered more asking for it to be lightly fried. Before the waitress even set it down both my wife and I could smell that it was the same even though it had a wonderful golden brown crust. In addition to the fish, the homemade fies were limp and unseasoned and the coleslaw was oddly sweet, almost like pistachio fluff. Being Pi Day, we had to try the pie that they get from their sister restaurant, supposedly on a daily basis. Again disappointed. Crust was chewy, not flaky. Blueberry filling was homemade, but would probably have been better if it came from a can. At least the ice cream with it was decent, not fantastic, but passable for homemade. The best part of the meal was the Marilyn and Mary salad that I ordered. Simple fresh vegetables tossed in a homemade Italian dressing, looking back I wonder how that wasn't screwed up to. Won't be back, and can't recommend. Please, please by better fryer oil though, the cheap overused oil killed any chance my meal had.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

In a town of 500, a traveler might not expect good food in a small restaurant. But each time we come to Bayfield, we eat at Maggie's--our third winter trip to this beautiful little town on Lake Superior. Although my wife enjoys fish, I usually would choose something else on our travels. However, the fresh white fish or lake trout is delicious at a reasonable price!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Once again, Maggie's did not disappoint! While waiting for your table, be sure to check out the flamingo decor...

Reviewed March 10, 2014

A friend of mine has a home near Bayfield and told us to eat here - that it's "the best!" We ate dinner here 2 nights. It's only a few block walk from the Bayfield Inn. Super convenient. Staff and local patrons are very, very friendly. Even our wait on the 2nd night was no big deal. We sat at the bar and chatted with our bar tender and a few locals.

Considering the influx of tourists (like me) in town to see the ice caves, this establishment (and town) are doing an amazing job handing the crowds.

Definitely try the whitefish livers. Yum! There wasn't anything on the menu that we tried that we didn't like. All good, solid, tasty options.

Last... very inexpensive. You can't miss!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were in Bayfield to visit the ice caves and after reading the reviews for Maggie's decided to check it out and we were so glad we did. I started with a bowl of the Mexican tortilla soup and it was excellent. The hamburger was one of the best I have had in a very long time, the bun was outstanding with just that little bit of grilling which made it perfect. I didn't care for the tiny slivers of french fries but they were still fresh and hot! The decor gives you lots to look at while you are waiting for your food. Our server was fast and efficient and we had a very enjoyable dinner at Maggie's.