“Crisp sheets, Yummy breakfast, and Fantastic Innkeepers”
Review of Jacob Rohrbach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sharpsburg
Jacob Rohrbach Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Sharpsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fairview Park, Ohio
“Crisp sheets, Yummy breakfast, and Fantastic Innkeepers”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Let me start by saying that never have I met a more attentive Inn Keeper. As soon as our reservations were made I received an email confirming the reservation, listing places to eat in the area, and places of interest. This initial email was followed by updates with additional information and directions to the Inn. Then this morning I was a bit dismayed when I received a “Thank You” email from Joanne and Paul. I was dismayed because the Inn Keepers had beaten me to sending a Thank You note. Joanne and Paul are both gracious and personable. Joanne is a wealth of information and interesting stories, very patient and always ready to answer questions and meet her guests’ needs.

Even if you are not a “breakfast person” you will not be able to resist Joanne’s cooking. The table is set and ready for breakfast before you get up and you wake to the smells of wonderful things happening in the kitchen. The two days we were at the Inn, the table was set with different china each day. When I commented to Joanne that the dishes were different, Joanne replied, “I don’t want the guests to get bored.” There is such attention to detail and everything is just spotless. Guests’ dietary needs will be met. Our first morning at breakfast we had vegans, vegetarians, and “I’ll eat anything you put in front of me” folks. Everyone was delighted with the breakfast choices.

Our visit was totally pleasurable. There is no question that we would return.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Book early!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chefsmom77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Lancaster PA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I will provide detail as well, but in summary if you have an interest in the Civil War, or American History generally, you will do no better than this B&B.
Location: The Antietam Battlefield and even the town of Sharpsburg are little changed from 150 years ago. From the B&B you can have a morning walk to the battlefield, even to sites like the Burnside Bridge. The town is quiet, but has a nice little restaurant and ice cream shop. An easy two mile drive takes you across the Potomac and the college town of Shepardstown with interesting restaurants and shops. You can bike on the C&O Canal towpath to the Harpers Ferry National Park -- and on and on.
Innkeepers and Guests: The Innkeepers have thought of everything, bottled water in an outside fridge, civil war books and DVDs in your room, lists of restaurants, directions to various sites, etc. We always get private battlefield guides and Joanne recommended an excellent one who picked us up for our tour. The other guests were mainly civil war buffs so breakfasts were great discussions and sources of information, with Joanne joining in.
Room: Our room was large, quiet and had plenty of closet space. The a/c was quiet and worked perfectly. I have a problematic back and the bed was perfect -- not a twinge when I woke up and my wife loved the linens. The porch was great. The bathroom was small, but adequate. If you need glassware, do make sure to take some up from the sideboard in the dining room as the little dixie cups in the bath don't make it. If you are above a certain age, make sure you know where the DVD directions are because the set up is a little complicated. The floor squeaked a bit, but as no one had a room below us, no harm done. The parking lot is not gigantic, but if you aren't driving a big truck you'll be fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stevensville, Maryland
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We chose the Jacob Rohrbach Inn to stay the night after visiting Antietam and Shephardstowm after viewing Trip Advisor recommendations. Our room was large, well furnished, and spotless. Our innkeepers were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. The Inn has a perfect location to visit history-rich sites for the civil war, enjoy biking, hiking, and river activities, and take avantage of the numerous excellent restaurants available in the area. Our breakfast at the Inn was delicious and served family style....our dinner at the Bavarian Inn Ratskeller in nearby Shepardstown was delicious, attractive and accomodated casually dressed tourists as welcomed guests. We will definitely choose The Jacob Rohrbach Inn again when we visit this area next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rhode Island
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband Dave and I stayed in the Antietam Room. There was a private porch and a clean, nice sized,,pretty room with reading materials on the existing Inn and area. Breakfast was excellent including coffee,teas, juices fresh baked goods( baked onsite by Joanne), peaches from the yard and homemade pancakes, eggs and sausage and other delights ,which Paul and Joanne whipped up to order! We've been to many other bed and breakfast around the country and feel this was the best service and comfort we have ever received z11

London
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I seldom write reviews but this place gets top marks - five stars in every category
Had a lovely evening and night's stay at the Jacob Rohrbach in Sharpsburg after a busy day's sightseeing at Antietam and Harper's Ferry for which this place is perfectly situated. There's a good bar/restaurant just 200 yards away and a fantastic ice-cream parlour where most of the town was gathered on a balmy summer's evening in June.
For a visiting Brit the whole experience was perfect and for me, a real feeling of being IN America rather than in a dreary chain hotel. The General's Quarters were great - very atmospheric and with my own porch, a perfect spot for relaxing.
We run our own B&B in the UK (www.thebarnatroundhurst.com) and I certainly took away some tips from Joanne - the breakfast was delicious and her informal history chat was fascinating, but I won't spoil the story - go and hear it yourself.

Room Tip: All the rooms look lovely but the General's Quarters is the real deal!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank connmail
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed June 27, 2012

What a beautiful comfy B&B, every detail was thought of from the porch with comfortable seating to the elegant towels. Joannes' breakfast were so beautifully presented each morning, and delicious too. We will definatly come back and stay at this Inn.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I always stay at this place whenever I am traveling from NC to NY. It is always about halfway for me, and honestly I absolutely love staying here. Joanne is lovely and always helpful. Not to mention her breakfast is amazing! The rooms are older in style, because they are historical recreations. However they are always clean and comfortable. The beds are also very comfortable. I have stayed in almost every room there, and recommend getting one with a porch access if possible. I love to just sit in the backyard, view the garden and read. It is very relaxing. Another great thing is that just a few minutes down the road are some great restaurants. They are in a small nearby town, and I would highly recommend The Press Room. I love staying here and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to stay and relax or see some historical sites.

Room Tip: Get a porch access room. Bike rentals are available.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sharpsburg
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry

Been to Jacob Rohrbach Inn? Share your experiences!