“Minimal ambience, really good food”

Captain Benders Tavern
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Sharpsburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“Minimal ambience, really good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

We wanted a nice lunch after visiting Antietam Battlefield Visitor's Center in the morning and before heading back to meet a guide for a 1 o'clock tour. Decided to pass on the Battlefield Market for a nicer lunch and went into Sharpsburg. Spotted this - sign is misleading. The most obvious sign says "Public House" and the Captain Benders Tavern sign is higher and less visible. As title indicates, it is fairly basic inside - concrete floor, a bar at the back with some tables and several tables toward the front. The menu was surprisingly interesting, great salads and sandwiches. I ordered a baby spinach salad with salmon and balsamic vinaigrette dressing which was absolutely delicious. The salmon portion, which was pan fried, was a whopping 8 oz and I couldn't finish it. Luckily my two friends were willing helpers! They both had sandwiches which they said were delicious. Will definitely return on next visit to Sharpsburg or Antietam.

• Visited June 2014

Littlestown, Pennsylvania
“Lousy Service!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Second time here; they still have one of the best burgers around, but also have the worst service of anywhere I have ever been! We have been here 2 Sundays now over the last month and had the same server each time. We thought the service last time was pretty bad; but this time the service was even worse than before. The server asked for our drink order, returned with our drinks and asked for our order. We both ordered burgers; but were never asked any questions about our order except "how do you want it cooked?". We both wanted fries, but got chips. We didn't see our server again for sometime. Another young man bought our burgers out and when there was no mayo on the table with the rest of the condiments I asked him for some and he said he would get some on his next time around. Well, he walked passed me at least 15 times after that and I never did get the mayo. If it had been busy at the time I could have understood, but it was not and he looked me right in the eye each time he walked by. I find it hard to believe he forgot when we were 2 of about 8 people in the restaurant. Our server never stopped by to see if everything was alright, as a matter of fact he didn't come back until we were completely finished and had been waiting at least 10 minutes for him to get drink refills (he came to the table just as I was standing up to go over to bar to ask him for refills). Very disappointed in the service here and I have been in the customer service industry for over 30 yrs and recently over 2 yrs in the restaurant business and I can tell you if any of servers treated any of our guests this way, they would be unemployed! Sorry to say as much as we enjoy the burgers, with service like this we will not be back again!!!

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Kim M
“Friendly and charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

I was greeted and served with a smile. Excellent service, wonderful comfort food for my traveling. Street parking but easy access on a historical street.

Sharpsburg, Maryland
“Horrible ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Every time I tried this place I received Very bad service even considering the place was almost empty yet employees stood around chatting with friends ignoring customers, almost impossible to get waited on or a refill no matter how slow or busy it is .. The last straw was I ordered a glass of wine which was less then what you would receive at a wine tasting and then the special , steal and baked potatoes. The special came out with French frys instead. Couldn't get the attention of our waiter and the owner was walking by and my friend called him over and said I was suppose to get a baked potato (I cannot eat frys due to grease and stomach issues) the owner just looked at me and said 'so what' and walked away ... I'll never visit ever again ... sad it's in my hometown .

5 Thank Tmstotler72
Thurmont, Maryland
“Great Burgers!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

My wife and I recently while out riding, had the pleasure of stopping in at Capt. Bender's for dinner. It's a small tavern, very busy when we stopped in [good sign] and had just a short wait before getting a table. It was on a Sunday and there special is $5 burgers, and they are excellent. My wife enjoyed a plain cheeseburger, while I had the French Onion Burger. Both were fantastic, 8oz of fresh angus beef fried to your liking, and in the case of the French onion burger it comes with cheese, bacon and a horseradish cream sauce, as I said it was GOOD! We also had onion rings and cold beer. If your in the Sharpsburg area and looking for good eats, this be the place. The tavern itself is very nice inside, and the wait staff very friendly. Nice place for families as well. Very reasonable pricing on food and drinks.

• Visited May 2014