“Beautiful Place”

Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US Veteran
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Sharpsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Bloodiest One Day Battle in American History: 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862. The Battle of Antietam ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia's first invasion into the North and led to Abraham Lincoln's issuance of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. Antietam National Battlefield is located in western Maryland, 10 miles south of Hagerstown in Washington County. The best place to start your visit is at the park visitor center. The GPS address for the visitor center is 5831 Dunker Church Road, Sharpsburg, Maryland, 21782. We have brochures, museum exhibits, a film, a museum store, and park rangers and volunteers on duty to help you get oriented. The battlefield is approximately 3,000 acres that you can explore in your car or by walking. Operating Hours & Seasons: Open All Year, The Visitor Center is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Park Grounds are open daylight hours. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day The park has an entrance fee of $5.00 Per Person (age 16 or older; 15 and under FREE) or $10.00 Per Vehicle.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stopped here after visiting Gettysburg and took the audio tour of the battlefield. The scenery here is absolutely beautiful! The video in the visitor center was informative and the tour was nice. The Bridge on the tour was beautiful. I highly recommend!

1  Thank Jessi_STL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I spent a week at this battlefield as part of a Sierra Club group that worked on the upkeep of the Burnside Bridge, one of the historic farmhouses, and the National Cemetery. There are so many opportunities to immerse yourself into the history of this site. The visitor's center is the best place to start as the helpful rangers will explain all of your options. If it is possible to stay nearby (there's a couple B & B's in adjacent Sharpsburg), wander the battlefield in the evening when everyone has gone home. The beautiful scenery, wildlife and monuments will certainly impact you for a long time to come.

1  Thank trackandcccoach
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I arrived here one day not really knowing why. I have had an interest in the civil war ever since I was a kid. Maybe that was because I read some stories, or viewed some movies. There was no way that I was prepared for what I would experience.
Upon paying my admission I was told I could "hook-up" with a guided tour that was included in my admission and would be departing shortly. Sounded good to me.

As we gathered in a glassed-in room that overlooked the battle field we were greeted by the guide ( I really wished I could remember his name) whom greeted us and explained how our tour would be conducted. This guide made the difference, he was absolutely fabulous.

The tour was a sort of self-drive and meet the guide at the various vantage points. Then you will walk the various locations. Our first stop was in a place over-looking what is referred to as 'the cornfield' & 'the north woods'. As our guide explained the confusion that reigned as the battle began I could imagine the horrible ordeal that ensued and by the end of of tour at the Burnside Bridge I was emotional drained. To realize what went on 150 years ago on this exact soil was so overwhelming, I could not imagine that at the end of the day there would be 23,000 casualties in this very small area. To lay that many bodies down they would have to be literally piled on top of each other.

This is where I stood and was shaken to my inner most fibres. Unlike Gettysburg, this is a very small battlefield. Very hard to get a grip on the magnitude of that day.

I would not recommend this for children unless they have some previous knowledge and at least a lukewarm interest, because they would find this boring. If you are there to absorb that will be very difficult with children.

GO WITH A GUIDE!

1  Thank Windy_Feet
Reviewed December 6, 2013

After reading the surviving letters of the soldiers and officers who took part in this pivotal battle, I decided to hike the national park using the same trails that the soldiers walked upon. It was long and arduous, but worth it. Many of the soldiers were barefoot and we wore footwear so it was not as hard as their task was. We even found some relics along the way. This is a beautiful, amazing park, and it can only be appreciated if walked rather than driven.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

One of the best parts of our trip in October. Took my 80 year old parents to Antietam. My father was in "Civil War heaven." Plan to spend the entire day, take it slow and enjoy. Take a picnic as there are no restaurants close by. I want to return and take my husband to see Antietam.