“Excellent site to visit to learn about the Civil War”

Antietam National Battlefield
Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US Veteran
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Sharpsburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Bloodiest One Day Battle in American History: 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862. The Battle of Antietam ended the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia's first invasion into the North and led to Abraham Lincoln's issuance of the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation. Antietam National Battlefield is located in western Maryland, 10 miles south of Hagerstown in Washington County. The best place to start your visit is at the park visitor center. The GPS address for the visitor center is 5831 Dunker Church Road, Sharpsburg, Maryland, 21782. We have brochures, museum exhibits, a film, a museum store, and park rangers and volunteers on duty to help you get oriented. The battlefield is approximately 3,000 acres that you can explore in your car or by walking. Operating Hours & Seasons: Open All Year, The Visitor Center is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Park Grounds are open daylight hours. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day The park has an entrance fee of $5.00 Per Person (age 16 or older; 15 and under FREE) or $10.00 Per Vehicle.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent site to visit to learn about the Civil War”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Antietam is one of the best Civil War Battlefields to visit. Start your visit at the Visitor Center and then head out on the Auto Tour and you will find the battlefield's landscape looks very much like it did a 150+ years ago. If you have a chance get out of the car and hike some of the trails and that will give you a better perspective of the battle.

If you like wildflowers you can find them growing in special areas of the battlefield and there is a map available at the visitor center showing the locations of those areas.

You can easily spend a 1/2 day here and if you have a chance to attend some of the programs that are held at the Visitor Center or on the battlefield you will enjoy those talks and walks from the Rangers.

A neat and interesting place to visit anytime of the year!

Visited March 2013

Falling Waters, West Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I'm not a history buff, but this was impressive”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our Young @ Heart senior group took a bus tour of Antietam Battlefield. Our tour guide, Gary Rohrer, was superb, making what could have been a long and boring morning really fascinating! To hear his stories, one would have thought he'd been there to experience the battle and all that led up to it. We felt like we were a part of the action. The visitor's center, where we first watched the introductory film, is beautiful, and watching the film first gave us insight into many of the stops along our tour. It was well worth visiting. Antietam is a National Park, so anyone who has a Golden NP Pass can visit free of charge.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dianne B
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Civil War History Comes to life”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

During a visit to the area during Spring Break for an Appalachian Trail section hike, my family and I toured Antietam. This park brings the civil war to life and made it much more meaningful to all of us. At the suggestion of the knowledgeable rangers we watched the park orientation video and then explored the various exhibits in the Visitor Center. All were excellent and helped set the stage for further park exploring. After this we walked around the various monuments dedicated to soldiers from various states, etc. We then took the self guided car tour, stopping at each stop and reading the exhibits, and the self guided corn field hike. Both were informative. Even my 9 year old twins were interested! These tours definitely brought the civil war to life for us. Our tour of Antietam concluded at the Antietam Cemetery which was beautiful to walk through. I would recommend a visit to this park to anyone.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank RoadtriptheWorld
America
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wow.....just Wow”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've been to a few battlefields but Antietam is by far my favorite. Seeing Bloody Alley left me in awe. Give you chills thinking about what it must have been like. Seeing Burnside Bridge was also one of those moments. And The Cornfield, another one of those moments. The weather didn't cooperate with me as much as I would have liked or else I would have done more hiking around the battlefield. But the hiking I did do really gave me a sense of what it must have been like.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It might be one of my favorite places I've ever been to. My only critique is I wish the museum in the visitor center was a little bigger but that is a small complaint. I loved every second I was there

Visited March 2013
2 Thank KingFlathead
Burleigh Heads, Australia
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Great piece of Civil War History”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully maintained piece of US history. The movie, rangers, Observatory and bridge are all educational and it's a well preserved part of the bloodiest Civil War battle, maintained for posterity over a huge area. Worth a drive through.