“Beautiful B&B; wonderful hosts; great breakfasts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sharpsburg
The Inn at Antietam
Ranked #2 of 2 Sharpsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bethesda, Maryland
“Beautiful B&B; wonderful hosts; great breakfasts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the Inn at Antietam including a very unusual snowstorm of around 2 1/2 feet. Charles & Bob, our hosts, took great care of us. The Inn is beautiful, the rooms lovely, and the location perfect for anyone interested in Civil War history since it is right in the midst of the site of the Battle of Antietam. Sharpsburg itself doesn't have restaurants, but they are several quite nearby in Shepherdstown, and we dined at the Old South Mountain Inn a short 10 minutes away that had the best French onion soup we've had in years!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

What can I say? The Inn at Antietam was exactly what I wanted it to be: cozy, beautiful, and inviting. Charles and Bob are very sweet and make a killer breakfast (some sort of delightful cheese quiche and hash browns one morning; blueberry pancakes the next; and they made a muffin specially and set me up with my own single serve coffee pot the
morning I had to jet at 5am!)!

I picked The Burnside Smokehouse Suite because of the fireplace. I was
a little worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations since I could only find one photo (I've posted more here!) online. It was just right
for me. Charles and Bob provided a Duraflame log (burns about 4 hours)
two of the nights I stayed, probably would have the last night (had I asked), and I'm certain would allow you to buy firewood and burn it should you wish. It is perfect for the single traveler or a cozy couple! Just be aware that the bed is only a full and there is no shower and the tub is teensy.....but I was told I could use a shower upstairs if I needed.

As for the area; not a lot going on. I, of course, visited the battlefield......Amazing.....Practically untouched....so beautiful and
sad. I also made the hour and a half trip up to Gettysburg twice. Amazing, beautiful and sad in a completely different way, surprisingly. Many monuments....Take a guided tour!

Well, I will be back to The Inn at Antietam, for certain!:)

• Liked — Solitude, comfort, and beauty!
  • Disliked — Only wish it were a little closer to Gettysburg!...but then, it wouldn't be The Inn at Antietam!;)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank guildencrantz
Ware, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2005

Whilst touring around Washington we were looking for somewhere to spend the evening. We were advised to try the Inn at Antietam. Staying there was an oasis of gracious hospitality. Rooms were clean and airy, all the needs of the guests were provided and the house was straight out of a movie of small town America. However, the best was saved until last. Breakfast together with the service provided by hosts Bob and Charles were the highlights of our holiday. An experience of peace and civility.

• Stayed August 2003
7 Thank NickWare_England
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Antietam for a few days in August during a two week trip to visit Civil War battlefields. The Inn at Antietam was by far the best of our accomodations and is everything you could expect at a first class inn. The hosts/owners were warm and friendly and offered great suggestions for dining in the area. We stayed in the penthouse which was very attractive and comfortable. A great inn at a great battlefield location. See Antietam national Battlefield and definitely take the 1 1/2 hour tour offered by the Park Service. If I remember correctly, we took it with ranger Keith Synder and he was terrific.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2004

We had a wonderful time staying at the Inn at Antietam, a B&B with great ambiance. Our days were spent visiting the Antietam battlefield, swapping stories with the Inn's two hosts and with fellow travelers, and shopping at the little grocery store in town which offers a daily dinner special, prepared to take with you. Do not miss the Big Spring in the center of town, around which the town of Sharpsburg was originally built. Also, from this location, historical Harper's Ferry and South Mountain may be easily visited for sites of other battles and of John Brown's last stand before his arrest. We had a wonderful visit in beautiful Maryland.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2003

My wife and I stayed at The Inn at Antietam for four nights in October of 2002. It was a most enjoyable experience, even though we had cold, rainy weather for two days. Charlie and Bob are excellent hosts; very friendly but not too intrusive. The rooms at the inn are large, nicely furnished and clean. The breakfasts are some of the best we have had at a B&B. For dinner, there are very good restaurants a short distance away in Shepherdstown. We hope to return next June for another visit. This is a great place to stay while visiting the Antietam and Gettysburg Civil War battlefields

7 Thank Hawaii04
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2003

Every facet from arrival to departure was Fantastic ! Inn directly next to the Antietam National Battlefield cemetary. Both of the owners met us at the entrance and showed us through the Inn with its extensive library and clean airy rooms. Brerakfast was excellent and the receipe for the french toast was shared by the owners and it was great. Will visit again soon !

• Stayed April 2003
4 Thank Anserman077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sharpsburg
Bavarian Inn
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
#1 of 21 in Hagerstown
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hagerstown

Been to The Inn at Antietam? Share your experiences!