“Nice ambiance, terrible bed”

The General Morgan Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Greeneville
Reviewed September 30, 2006

My husband and I moved into the area about a year ago, and acquaintances often ask us about places to stay when traveling in the vicinity. We had been curious about this lovely hotel on the National Register, but were reluctant to recommend it without first-hand knowledge. So, we decided to go there for our anniversary. I had read other reviews posted on this site and was aware a guest had a problem with the bed, but I wasn't overly concerned about it. Since the Marketing Manager had responded that the bedding was being replaced, I thought that had already happened. And, if it hadn't, how bad could it be? We checked in, were warmly greeted by the person on the front desk , and made our way to the room. We were absolutely delighted with the ambiance and quirkiness of building, the result of combining three hotels into one. Our room was spacious and had a non-working firelplace. The bathroom was up-to-date and even boasted a towel warmer. Wonderful! We dropped our overnight bags and went down to the hotel's restaurant, Brumley's, for dinner. The food was quite good and the staff polite, but we were a bit dismayed to discover the books on the "library "shelves were simply book spines that had been glued to the wall. As my husband and I are both book lovers, we found it difficult to appreciate this decorating approach. After dinner we headed up to our room, and I immediately knew the bed was going to be a problem. I turned down the bedspread and discovered there was no mattress pad, and the sheets were so thin I could see the inexpensive mattress ticking through them. The pillows were so soft as to be non-existent. And the bed was so soft I could feel the bed springs through the mattress simply by running my hand over the bed. Both my husband and I tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable. Finally, around 5am, I got up, dressed, packed my bag and went downstairs where I put my bag in the car, walked around the building, and sat in the lobby and read. My husband was awake when I returned to the room, and I suggested we go home where we could get some sleep. We checked out and did exactly that. While the ambiance of the hotel is quite nice, and the staff helpful, the reason people stay in hotels is to sleep. And the General Morgan did not measure up on that score. I would strongly suggest verifying the bedding has been replaced prior to staying here.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Moonlight_Magnolia
There are newer reviews for The General Morgan Inn

Reviewed June 13, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at several Historic Hotels of America. We booked a room at the General Morgan Inn expecting it to live up to other historic hotels we have visited. However, we were a bit disappointed. When you first enter the hotel, the lobby is impressive and staff were sufficiently polite. However, on closer inspection and in the breakfast room you begin to notice that things are a little less impressive. My husband and I couldn't get over the spines ripped from books and glued to the wall in an attempt to portray a library. When we got to our floor the carpet in the hallway was extremely dirty, and although the hotel has a large patio that I'm sure they use for weddings and events, there were no tables and chairs provided for guests to sit and enjoy which would have been nice. Our room was an adequate size, with nice details like a fireplace and large windows. The bathroom was updated with nice granite countertops and fluffy towels. Our biggest complaint was the bed. The mattress was hard and the linens were very thin and cheap. There was little to no mattress pad and you could see through the sheets. In addition, the comforter was stained and dingy with some rips in it. Mostly we had difficulty sleeping on the uncomfortable mattress. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and this bed was what I would anticipate at a one-star budget motel and I'm really not a 'Princess and the Pea' kind of girl. The air conditioning worked well, but is extremely loud, so if you're a light sleeper you may want to be prepared for that. The General Morgan Inn includes a continental breakfast in the room price. There are very limited choices provided and the danishes and bagels looked straight out of the supermarket packaging. They did have a wafflemaker which was fine. Like the mattress, I felt that breakfast was on par with any budget level hotel, just not what I expected from an HHA. My husband and I didn't eat in the restaurant because we were afraid it wouldn't live up to its fairly expensive prices based on our experience with the breakfast. The area where the General Morgan Inn is located is nice and well-kept and there were some nice historic buildings nearby. Overall, it was okay, but not worth a trip back.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank PennyKY
Stella_Daisy, Marketing Director at The General Morgan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2006

On behalf of The General Morgan Inn, I would like express our sincere regret that our guests were uncomfortable or disappointed during their stay with us.

Recognizing the same challenges, earlier this year our staff began making plans to not only replace our carpets, mattresses, and linens, but also to update other amenities such as bath fixtures, wifi, and climate control systems. We'd hoped these changes would be in place by the summer season; however, it has taken us much longer to process these changes, and we now hope to have these renovations finished by November. I hope that these guests will, at that time, reconsider visiting the hotel and introduce themselves to us so that we may address their grievance personally.

We have immediate control over one issue included in this review. We expect our staff to provide excellent, friendly service, and we are generally pleased to find our staff going above and beyond to assist our guests; however, we will investigate any issues that may have occured that would have compromised the level of service that these guests received. We will not be satisfied to offer *sufficiently polite* service to anyone.

Again, we sincerely regret the discomfort or inconvenience that any of our guests, at any time, experience during their stay with us. Sometimes our guests have the greatest insight about how we can improve the quality of our hotel, and we encourage them to continue providing critical feedback.

Reviewed October 24, 2005

Happened on the General Morgan by chance. A beautiful restored turn of the century building. Huge room with very high ceilings and antiques. Really wonderful food and a gracious staff. If you are in the area stay there ,it's really great alternative to the Gatlinberg area and not far from the Smokey Mountains

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Greeneville, TN formerly of Connecticut
Reviewed September 12, 2005

My family just moved to Greeneville and we stayed at the General Morgan while we were waiting for our house to be ready. The staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel (lobby & rooms) is beautiful. Grand arrangements of fresh flowers are in the lobby all the time. If you can, try the Sunday brunch! Excellent! Can't wait to take our out of town guests for brunch.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2005

Normally a 4 star class hotel would be somewhat out of our price range, as long as the rooms are clean, comfortable, and relatively convienent we are generally satisfied. At only $10 to $20 more than many of the other generic cookie cutter hotels available, the General Morgan won.

The lobby was beautiful, and our room was excellent. Everything was clean and comfortable. There were high ceilings, and the bathroom was very clean.

On our first morning we had the Continental breakfast which was nice. That evening we had a wonderful banquet style diner in the Grand Balroom (the event which had us traveling to begin with.). The next morning we had the excellent Champagne Brunch before checking out.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Andrew Johnson National Historic Site the nation's 17th President, his two homes, tailor shop, and grave site.

Coming from New Orleans, this area of town did seem to 'Close' a little early. The Reasturant at 9pm, the Bar at 11pm, and apparently the outside entrances of the hotel 'lock down' sometime late at night. I found out that my 'credit card room key' unlocked the door of the second floor Garden Terrace which is accessible from the street. My wife called the front desk which explained that there is a phone near the parking lot entrance which rings the front desk, who will immediately let you in. I didnt notice if there were any other electronic room key style locks outside. We probably could have knocked loud enough for the front desk to hear too.

Overall this hotel offered a wonderful experience at an incredible value. Unless you need a pool or are on an extremely tight budget I highly reccomend the General Morgan Inn.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank Traxyun
Loudon,TN.
Reviewed February 2, 2004

Hotel was quaint, but clean with modern apliances, service good, nice location and the food was outstanding. I would deffinatley stay there again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BRENTWOOD, TN
Reviewed August 13, 2003

I stayed in the General Morgan Inn for a convention. It was the nicest experienc. the Inn had recently been remodeled. I stayed in a lovely room with a fireplace and large bath. The employees could not have been nicer. When I left I was even calling the maids by their first names, I had even exchanged recepies with the cook, and generally felt as though I was visiting family. The staff was extreemly friendly, and the hotel could not have been lovlier. Everyone congregated in the large lobby each evening before turning in. It was like going to a friend's home for a party. The restaurant had a wonderful cook at that time. It was a local woman, and we exchanged creole recipes. My only complaint was they closed the bar at 9:00 PM, so we had to go to the Hospitality Suite for a late snack and beverage, when we would have preferred to go to the dining room or bar.

This atmosphere of friendlieness ws prevelant throughout greeneville. I have recommended the Inn and city to many friends.

I have found that when traveling, people respond directly to your attitude. I loved this city!! It is small, but so wonderful. Please try it!!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greeneville
Quality Inn Greenville
#6 of 8 in Greeneville
Mountain Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Morristown Conference Center Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites College Square

Been to The General Morgan Inn? Share your experiences!