“Very good pasta and pizza”
Review of Gino's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gino's
Cuisines: Italian
Tennessee
“Very good pasta and pizza”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The menu at Gino's is much smaller than the typical Italian restaurants around the area that all seem to feature the same menu items. It has primarily chicken dishes, with some seafood and vegetarian choices. It also offers pizzas. My husband and I visited twice before I reviewed it since it is new to the area and we wanted to be fair. The pizza is good, a nice crispy crust with good flavor, the sauce is pretty mild without much seasoning, the cheese is good and in the right proportions and the pepperoni excellent. My husband ordered pepperoni and anchovies on our visit last night and the anchovies were of truly exceptional quality. They had a good fish flavor almost more like sardines than the typical salty greasy anchovies you get at pizza only places. We started off with the fried calamari. The rings were large and very tender, not chewy at all and had a very fresh flavor. The marinara served with them was also very good. The salad looked a bit plain when they brought it, but the Cesar dressing was delicious, very thick and spicy, a unique flavor that was utterly delicious on the salad. The bread sticks are nicely seasoned with garlic butter, but were not very warm when they arrived at the table. I chose the chicken baldini entree after quite a lot of deliberation and was not disappointed. The menu says the pasta is homemade and it did appear to be. It was tender and flavorful penne, The cream sauce was smooth and delicate and well seasoned. The ham and mucshrooms were well chopped and very flavorful on their own while blending in nicely with the sauce and pasta. The chicken was breast meat in large squares and was very juicy and tender not grilled dry and tough. I was very pleased with the pasta, it was filling and comforting as good pasta should be. The serving size was large and the pasta was the perfect temperature when presented. For desert on our first visit we both had the Tiramisu, a favorite of ours. It was delicious, it had a cake instead of lady finger base, but it was well soaked with espresso and the cream layer was cool and smooth and delicious. Last night I tried the cannoli. I picked the one dipped in chocolate, they also have it without the chocolate coating. The cookie was crisp, the chocolate good and dark, the cream was fairly standard white cream with tiny chocolate chips in it. Good, though not anything super outstanding. The service was very good, friendly and knowledgeable and prompt. The restaurant was clean, the seating comfortable. There was a tv which we do not like, but the sound was turned off. The music was Italian which I found soothing, but my husband did not like. The bathrooms were clean and functional. I will definitely eat there again, and i would recommend it to others. If I were to make any suggestion to the restaurant owner it would be to consider shades or curtains where the restaurant fronts the parking lot of the commons.

• Visited January 2014