Review Highlights
Well done presentation on our 17th and controversial President

When you enter the visitor center you will be given a time to meet for a Ranger tour of Johnson's... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Disneybus
Pittsgrove, New Jersey
Worth Stopping

The Andrew Johnson National Historic site is a beautiful location and has some great information... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Okie_Ron_1
Oklahoma

All reviews visitor center tailor shop park ranger civil war president of the united states signal hill across the street park service life story history buff short film small site the junior ranger program family home few blocks guided tour self guided
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We are history buffs. Driving from NYC to Dollywood for summer vacay and made a clear point to visit Andrew Johnson's NHS. Visitor Center is very good-rangers extremely helpful and clear. Video presentation delves into his presidency and conflicts with Congress. Johnson isn't one of the most remembered Presidents, but he not only ascended the presidency upon Lincoln's assassination, but also was the first (but sadly not the last) president to face impeachment. A remarkable time in office was preceded by an interesting life-no formal schooling, professional life was a tailor! The actually building that was his Tailor shop exists WITHIN visitor's center-incredible! His home is a time capsule of civil war life. He was extremely thrifty, dare I say cheap. Almost his entire family suffered from, and many died from tuberculosis. So many interesting and new things my family and I learned on this visit. The NHS consists of 3 free sites. All together very very good. Highly recommend!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have a habit of visiting presidential homes and enjoying them and this one did not disappoint. Although we had to do the tour backwards due to repairs, we enjoyed our visit. Wife, kids(both 9), and I saw the early home first, then to the visitor center for the museum and a short film. Wife and I read the information, while the kids enjoyed trying on clothes from the era near the actual tailor shop that Johnson owned that is in the museum. Kids also voted to impeach Johnson. Many displays in the museum that describe they county during this time. We headed over to the main house, which is being restored to the time when Johnson lived there. Tour guide was excellent. Not much going on outside the buildings. No elaborate gardens. If you are a history butt, I recommend that you visit.

1  Thank BobWDW2011
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stopped by here with my 10-year-old son in July. We both really enjoyed the visit. The rangers are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic - I wish that I could have talked with them a lot longer. The town itself is also very nice and the walk from the visitor's center to Andrew Johnson's house was very enjoyable. There may be lots of beautiful towns in the south and this is definitely one of them. Of course, if you go with children you can do the Junior Ranger program at the site which gives your visit even more depth and meaning.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Went a little out of way heading home to visit, and was glad we did. No, nothing fancy, but a great piece of our history. It was so cute when we went in to see the tailor shop, and my daughter heard the scissors cutting. Her eyes were the size of half dollars. We loved the tour of the homestead. Ranger Burke was awesome! He didn't just tell you the facts. He made you feel part of the story. Thanks for a nice new memory with the family.

1  Thank Animallover04
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Absolutely fabulous place to visit, especially if you are a history buff. The home is authentic in all aspects and the tour guides are outstanding. One in particular, Daniel Luther, is a president Andrew Johnson reinactor who has portray the President in many parts of the country. He has an outstanding working knowledge of President Johnson's life and presents the President in a very understandable and human way - he brings him to life. It is interesting that yearly there is a "Impeachment" held. Great plafe to visit. Call ahead and you can set up a specific tour time.