“ONE OF THE BEST KEPT SECRETS”

Andrew Johnson National Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Greeneville
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I knew very little about the President. When I finished with the movie and the rooms I had learned so much. The houses are excellent to go through. The tailor shop was amazing . Everything is easy access to the parking lot and it's free.
When you ride around the town you become impressed that all the building are in the same architecture when they were built.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very good president that had many troubles in office with the problems he inherited. His home and tomb are very educational and one should take the time to visit. Lots to see and learn from this misunderstood and great man.

1  Thank Larry8241
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This stop was a personal choice for my travel and I was not disappointed. A goal is to visit as many homes/museums/libraries of our Presidents. This was a home with a fascinating history both from the time line of President Johnson and through the later years after his Presidency and for his heirs.

After going to the Visitor's Center, one is directed to this location within a short walk or drive. It is well worth seeing and the guide was knowledgeable and enjoyable to listen to him relate life in this house.

It suited not only adults but has much to offer children and teens as well. The grounds are also beautiful.

A great choice and many things to see and do around the area of Greeneville, TN. Take the time to see another time and history of our country, if you can.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

None of us were alive back when Andrew Johnson was President so this site takes you back from a replica of his birthplace (not actually part of the NPS site, across the street), to his first home, his tailor shop, and then to his final home and to his resting place. Andrew Johnson's claim to fame is that he was impeached. But I could not but think he was the idyllic image of what an American President should be. He was born poor, soon fatherless, never attended school for even a day in his life, obtained his education from readers that sat in the tailor shop where he was apprenticed and later in the one he owned. He loved learning and truly wanted to serve people. He moved into politics and stood his ground when the Civil War came and ended. He loved the American flag and the Constitution and was buried with both. He loved people and saw beyond classes and race. He was an amazing person, not just for his time but even for ours. They don't make them like AJ anymore.

The Birthplace is very very small and difficult to imagine that was a house for a family but I guess the idea is not to be IN it all day, but outdoors doing things. The Early Home is presented nicely but unfurnished, instead there are exhibits in every room. The Tailor Shop has been saved and restored indoors at the museum/visitor center across the street but it is in a room slightly bigger than the Tailor Shop so you can't really see it all at once. The museum itself is small but with very informative exhibits. There is also an orientation movie. Across the street there is a statue of AJ in his beloved city of Greenville. To get to his final Home, you have to walk uphill a few blocks (or drive there). It is well worth it. It is a rather large house and filled with all family belongings - although generations lived there after AJ died so it not all necessarily his. Plus the home was overrun during the Civil War and he had it restored afterward while he was President so earlier belongings are gone. The park ranger that gave the tour was very interesting and had many wonderful stories and facts. Plus you can take pictures.

I drove to the Cemetery a few minutes away but there was construction at the front gate. I tried to get in from the back but this required parking on the street several blocks away and then a climb up a very long staircase. As I was short on time, I could not do it but I wanted to see AJ's final resting place and the family plot.

All in all, a wonderful can't miss if you like history, America, the Presidency, and old houses.

1  Thank civil-warrior
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I wasn't a history buff growing up and now I love learning about our country's history. I was impressed with the information in the visitors center and with the park ranger, but didn't think the small house across the street was worth the trip inside. It was filled with big signs explains things and took away from the feel of the home. Also a wood wall barricading the stairs and something else was really out of place.
We had a difficult time finding the center using AAA directions. The directions took us to the cemetery and we just happened upon the rest of the buildings.

We did not go into the museum home, though. Maybe that would have made the trip complete. There is a fee to visit the museum home.

1  Thank Elaine B