“We learned a lot!”

98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“We learned a lot!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stopped here with my children (ages 6 & 8) to earn a Junior Ranger Badge through the NPS. This was a great "short stop" along our route. We could have stayed longer, but needed to keep traveling. We went to the visitor's center where the kids were able to dress in similar clothing from Johnson's era. We were also able to see his tailer shop located within the visitor's center. We were able to cast our vote for his impeachment which the kids really enjoyed after watching the film, reading some of the displays and really trying to decide how they felt. We all three agreed that the best part was visiting the Homestead. Our tour guide (Burke) was wonderful. He was able to put all of the information on my kids' level and really kept them engaged. He gave us a LOT of information about the home itself as well as insight to everyone that once lived there. This alone is well worth the stop, especially if you enjoy American History. I snapped a photo of one of the stops on the cell phone trail so that we could refer to it as we completed our schoolwork. We were on a bit of a time schedule and failed to hit about 4 stops out of the 10 on the recorded messages. 423-278-5555 is the number and you can enter stops #1-10 to hear the information offered at each stop. I can't say enough about Ranger Burke and how great he made the Junior Ranger experience for my kids (and me)! We hope to visit again in the near future.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank MREA5

moonhope
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Great site ...well kept and interesting”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great historic site, also check out the Taylor shop where he spent a lot of time. There is an old jail nearby that is worth a visit also.

Visited November 2012
Greeneville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“History made fun”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great view into the life of a very special man. The NPS Rangers are friendly and well versed. With special and community events it gives a good taste of the real East Tennessee. The walk from the Visitor Center to the Homestead offers a chance to meet the locals which can as much fun and learning experience as the Park itself.

Visited October 2012
New York City, New York
308 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“worth the trip off main roads, to get to this great site!”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

While the visitor's center seems so small; it is full of interesting facts about President Johnson and his early life as well as his political career. The movie was nice at the center; then we went two blocks away, to an hour tour of his home, by an excellent NPS ranger: Daniel Luther.
We also enjoyed the solumn beauty of the family gravesite at the national cemetary, just out of town. Truly learned alot from this site.

Visited September 2012
Brooklyn, New York
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Surprised how much I now appreciate Andrew Johnson”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This site completely changed my views on Andrew Johnson. Even though I have long been interested in the Civil War and Reconstruction, I knew little about Johnson, his background and how he became Vice President or how eastern Tennessee fit into the Union during the War. The house tour was excellent and the visitor center gives an easy and clear explanation of Johnson, eastern Tennessee and the War. Plus who knew that he had been an indentured servant and ran away from his master (a felony)? I would heartily recommend starting at the Visitor Center, spending the 30-45 minutes or so at the home and then taking the short drive up to the beautiful cemetery and impressive monument with great views.

Visited March 2012