“Horrible service and atmosphere! Mediocre food.”
Review of Prima Pasta & Pizza - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Prima Pasta & Pizza
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Prima Pasta for a late lunch (around 2:00 p.m.). There were plenty of employees--3 of them were just hanging around behind the bar, talking to each other. Our waitress informed us that there was tea and water only--the fountain drink machine was broken. That was OK with us, but there is an HEB a few blocks away, so you'd think they could have made a trip to buy some sodas.... Anyway, when our waitress arrived with our iced teas and bread, she had one tea under her arm, the other in her hand, and the bread in her other hand. Yuck! Underarm tea! I had the eggplant parmesan and a Caesar salad. My husband had lasagna and a tossed salad. The Caesar dressing tasted bottled and was drizzled on my salad (not tossed like a true Caesar). The parmesan cheese on the salad was from a plastic bottle-not shaved like you would expect from a real Italian restaurant. The eggplant was good. The spaghetti seemed like what you would make at home, with the help of Ragu. My husband said the lasagna was OK but seemed too salty. His salad was boring-no tomatoes even, and the dressing was also bottled.

Overall, we felt that the food here was not anything special. If you are in the mood for lasagna in Del Rio, Stouffer's makes a great one you can purchase in the frozen section at the store.

The booths here face out, so we were forced to stare at the staff, who, for the most part, were just talking to each other and watching sports on the TV (maybe one should have been going to buy sodas?). The ambiance was bad. There was no music, just two TVs: 1 behind the bar, and 1 on the back wall. Not too conducive to a nice dining experience. The layout of the space is odd (long and narrow), but it would be good for large parties. Also, they allow you to bring your own beer and wine, so that's a plus. Apparently, the liquor license didn't pan out...

This place should:
1. Train the staff better. Start with carrying drinks on trays, not under arms.
2. Work on ambiance (music, table cloths, flowers/candles on table).
3. Remove the TVs so staff will not just sit and watch sports.
4. Use fresh and homemade items, starting with real parmesan cheese (shaved) and homemade dressings.
5. Have a manager with experience in the restaurant business.

Sadly, this is yet another failing restaurant to occupy this location. Maybe they will read this review and make some changes. They have potential.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a new business in Del Rio and it is tasty! It's a beautiful spot for a restaurant with a gorgeous bar. They are getting their liquor license very soon-the waiter said it's quite a long process. We ordered a fire pizza and it was perfect. The crust is amazing and the toppings were fresh. Right when we were sat the waiter arrived and brought us waters and hot sourdough rolls. I would highly recommend this place to couples looking for a romantic night out- not to mention we got dinner for two and dessert all under 20.00. We tips huge just because we were so pleased with the value and prices of the food. Get the dessert to go, you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The first time I went at lunch I had an excellent experience. The food and service were great. The food was more authentic than your typical Olive Garden which I appreciated and the portions were perfect. Bread, salad, pasta and drink all for under $8. Not bad, in my opinion. The second time going the food was also delic but the service was horrible (normal for Del Rio). No one was knowledgeable on the menu but at least we got in and out within the hour. The décor is quite tacky and could use some sprucing up. Oh, keep in mind they do NOT serve alcohol.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Finally a great Italian food restaurant, well something other than a Mexican food restaurant in Del Rio!! I had the veal with linguini and it was excellent. I am so glad to see there is another option that is not fast food and genuinely cooked in the kitchen rather than just heated up like you see so often in Chili's or Applebee’s. The flavors were bold and portions were on point without cramming the plate with extra pasta. The decor needs some work and be sure to get there early for lunch.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

The first two time that I went here, it was okay. But today I see the restaurant is going to be a failure and it is going down the same path of the previous establishments that was because it had the same big problem.... Poor customer service. Here is how my day went. It took them 10 minutes to get our drink order. Then it took another 25 min to take our order and bring some bread to fight the ever increasing hunger that we had in our stomachs. Finally in 15 minutes our food came out. I ordered chicken Alfredo and I can tell you that I was extremely disappointed. This pasta couldn't hold a candle to Stouffers Chicken Alfredo that you would get in Walmart.

So if you want to skip the poor service, your next best thing is to order your food by phone and pick it up. I must say that their pizza is the best in town. You should at Least give that a shot.